TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

First Ride of 2012

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Dubster 
#1 ·
Plans change from time to time...

Since it's winter and there is no water in the irrigation ditches, I thought I would follow a local irrigation ditch bank and see where it goes. I pretty much already know, but I always wanna see what's around the next bend.

I followed the irrigation ditch for about 5-6 miles, but started to run into ranchers gates across the ditch. Didn't want to keep getting off to open and close the gates, so, change 1, head back to where I started.

Along the way back I spotted this sign. Kind of in a remote area, but this is the land of many guns, so I suppose a local land owner got tired of dodging bullets and posted this sign.

So my next idea was to ride and take a picture of an old school that's kind of cool. Alas, to cold and to far away, so I changed the plan again. I'll save it for a warmer day. I would now try and find an access point to the BLM land via once of my alternate routes.

This route change would take me past an orchard. Last fall I came past this very spot and thought is was odd that all the apples where still on the tree's and not harvested so late in the year. Hard to see, but some of the apples are still on the tree's, but most have fallen to the ground. I wonder why they weren't harvested?

This orchard is the one I mentioned in my "40% Chance" RR, but didn't take a picture. Today I did, and this is one of the many smoke pots on the fence posts.

Well, as luck would have it I was running out of time and I had to head home instead of looking for the BLM access point. Got to pickup one of my daughters from the bus stop, and I better not be late.

Another change of plans! At least I was able to get a ride in.

And the Spit Fire windscreen made a cold day fairly pleasant too! Happy New Years to everyone.

See less See more
#5 ·
Howdy Admiral,

As always, thanks for sharing your local adventures with us. It may seem weird that they would leave all those apples to waste, but I was reading an article a few weeks ago about how the California apple industry is just a ghost of its former self. Seems we've lost the juice and pulp markets to other countries because we can't compete on price. The huge American companies are mostly using imports, so a lot of orchards are going fallow or being removed entirely. Sad but true.

I haven't been in the dirt yet this year, but I'm hoping to get to our local mountains tomorrow, if work cooperates.

#6 ·
Looks like you picked a nice day to ride. Nice blue sky!

#8 ·
Instead of starting a new thread, I'm just going to add my first 2012 ride to the end of Admiral's... Post yours here when you finally get your first ride in. Should be interesting to see when the snow lets up in some places.

So I just blew work off after pulling some things that had to be shipped and got myself out of Dodge to the local mountains

This is my destination. Santiago peak on the right, and Mojeska peak on the left, taken from the local gas station while I was checking the tires. If you've ever driven down the 5 Freeway towards San Diego, you've driven right past this.

From here, it's 10 miles due east and 8 miles north along the foothills, on pavement, and then I find myself at the start of Maple Springs road...

Which a couple of miles down the road turns into the unpaved portion of Maple Springs road, which takes you to North Main Divide road and to the top of the mountains...

I took a LOT of video today, but unfortunately, none of it is worth showing. I didn't have my camera mount torqued down right and I don't want to throw anyone into an epileptic seizure by posting it.

Regardless, it was a good day.

#10 ·
I did salvage something from the two hours of worthless vibrating video. Figures this would be it...

"Off to a good start". Yep I've had them times too! I got a chuckle out of it.

Doesn't look like you have to go very far to get in the woods, or back to starbucks! Nice to have those conveniences within TW range (Mountains and coffee).

Boy, it sure looks warm down there. And green too! Looks warm up here, but despite the lack of snow/rain this year, I assure you, when riding, not that comfortable.

Thanks for throwing in the work towel and sharing your ride.

Oh, I almost forgot, I've never seen those snuggy things on real people before, just TV commercial people!

#11 ·
Yep, we had exceptional weather yesterday. I didn't even check, but it had to be 80 at mid day. It's been like that for a week and I've been dying to get out in it, so I'm happy now. It's mid-60's and foggy this morning, so my timing was perfect. We've only had three wet day since November but it came at the right time and greened everything up, and basically stopped this years "fire season" from going off.

Coffee and TW's... My first mod on the 2010 was the stock Yamaha rack. The next mod was a stainless steel Thermos that fits (almost) perfectly on that rack.

#13 ·
I got out for my first ride of the year and the first ride on my TW200 today.It was only +4C today but the sun was shining and I just couldn't help myself.

I headed over to the seaside and bombed around the beaches and dunes for awhile.First gear on this bike is really nice.It has been a long time since I have been off-road on two wheels...good thing this bike is close to the ground.

It was only a short ride of around 60kms but I was smiling all the way and can't wait to get her out again for a really good run.

My initial impression was this bike is going to be a hoot taking me places my V-Strom won't go.....but I think I will have to do something with the handle bars and seat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.