TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well…I had good intentions of some tantalizing 1/1/2022 snow riding video onboard the TW/ZombieStomper. My Go-Pro had other ideas. Not sure if it was just my fault for not checking the settings, it usually defaults to the same video settings, but after my approximately ½ mile ride… after turning around after crash number 1, I checked its files, and they were all black. It was set on burst video at a 360-degree lens setting so all it captured was the side of my black helmet.
Oh well, somebody a quarter mile up the road may note the interesting slide and imprint marks in the snow that look like a silly 240 lb. nearly 60-year-old man, and the tell-tale gouges of handlebar and saddlebag in the ice. I was attempting to ride down to the boat launch to check lake icing, and there is plenty of grassy tactile surfaces to ride in on both sides but approaching the entrance I saw I was quickly running out of unpacked snow. The 4 inches that fell the last couple of days was so light and dry as to have the traction coefficient of talcum powder on a mirror, but with tires at 12 psi I was doing OK until the really packed down stuff.
I saw and felt it coming, shifted up into third and just slowly let off the gas to avoid compression breaking but we went down fast!! I had to laugh at what it must of looked like, me trying to find enough traction to even stand up and then try to right the bike. I drug it over to the curb and found some traction, neutral, and a restart.
I took that minor spill as a sign and decided not to hit the main roads and the gas station to see if other crazies were out, so headed down the narrow foot or two of undisturbed snow on the wrong side of the street. Had to defer to the sidewalks at a spot or two, but then made it to the big field across from my house where plenty of traction on the snow-covered clump grass was found. A few quick figure eights and playful spin outs, and it was back to the barn.
I walked back out after taking off my ample gear, (I was never cold, but visor/glasses fogging was still an issue), to take pictures of the tell-tale, unique TW single-track markings. Got the first ride of this year in the books!! It was 18 degrees for an asking as that video did not load.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I rode my X-Max yesterday and again today for about 25 miles each day. Been quite awhile since I've been able to get out on 2 wheels on New Year's Day !

·
Super Moderator
20,699 Posts
Took all the bikes out for rides over the long New Years weekend. It was tough as the temps only got into the high 70's!!
Ya just has to rub it in, don't cha? If it was 70 here today, I'd go riding bad arm or not...
In A Heartbeat!! 😇

Reactions: oldworld 124

·
Super Moderator
20,699 Posts
Tommy you don't understand. To a Florida boy 70 degrees is 40 everywhere else.
Yeah, I guess that's true. I forgot. Did you have to plug in the heated gear? You Musta-been freezing!! 😅

·
Registered
457 Posts
To a Florida boy 70 degrees is 40 everywhere else.
A long time ago, our high school band marched in the Cotton Bowl parade in Texas. Lots of high schools were there from all around the country. Dallas was having an uncommon cold streak, several days in the 30s to low 40s F. That's a bit chilly to us Minnesotans, so when we practiced we wore sweatshirts or windbreakers with our shorts. We saw other schools rehearsing outside wearing huge, brand new parkas, hats, and heavy mitts when not playing.

We found out they were the Florida and southern California schools. :LOL:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts