TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished my first ride with my Jimbo Cafe Shield Installed and WOW! Thanks so very much for such a great product! I can't express how much I LOVE this bike and all the great support and aftermarket advice I've gotten from this forum! Happy trails all!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've gone a bit "Overboard" the few 3 weeks I've owned my T Dub. Cortec sport bag,Tusk risers, Jimbo shield, oversized footpegs. I Love, Love, Love this bike. I've owned everything from dirtbikes to crotch rockets to a 1200CC Harley but I've got to say this bike has been the FUNNEST bike I've yet to own!!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Perhaps you could also tell us -why- the shield rates a "Wow!" I presume it makes a good windbreak? Or does it simply "look cool?" (perhpas both?). Would a person inclined to ride their TW offroad be inclined to use something like this or is it mostly useful for higher on-road speeds? Can it be quickly removed for those times when you might not want it?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Jimbo's Contact Info Off The Old Site

At least in one thread he had said if you manage to break it riding, send him a pic and he'll send you a new one.

For Ordering instructions or inquiries, email me @ [email protected]

Provide: Full Name and Forum name(if possible.)

Shipping Address.

Phone #

And Color Preference(Grey,Amber, Dark or Light Blue)if ordering.

RIDE WELL EVERYONE!

http://tw200forum.co...Post.aspx#29705

Some shields below

Very easy & quick install

·
Registered
81 Posts
I find that the Jimbo shield is just high enough to push the majority of the wind up and over my head. AND it looks cool.

·
Registered
136 Posts
As a small shield I rate it good . It is easy to install and is solid. You must remember that it isn't going to protect like a large one. I have to get down on the tank to get full protection from the bugs.

Jim

·
Registered
231 Posts
i'm 6'2" and was taking all the air blasting up over the headlight shield right under the chin of my helmet. at higher speeds my head was being buffetted all over. after about an hour of riding my neck would start to get sore. i got the jimbo shield over winter and installed it in about five minutes. it comes off just as easy if you are uneasy about the guillotine factor of riding offroad with a faceshield. (although my fears are alleviated by the nice rolled edge)

now the wind is being pushed up and over my helmet and i no longer feel the blast (unless i straigten up real tall when i stretch my back)

its a great mod for several reasons: it looks good, its easy to install and its functional!

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
There are all sorts of reasons to spend money and buy products. All of the above are valid, but here's mine. Jimbo has been on the forum for awhile now and has always left me with the impression that he is a good human being. As a Fireman, I am sure he makes a comfortable living, but still, he had a 'dream'.

How many of us have thought of a 'neat' idea that may be of 'value' to a few other folks on the planet. That thought process may be long or short, but for most of us, we succumb to the 'negative'. By that I mean; can't do it, it won't work, no-one will pay that kind of money for it.... ect.

I paid my money to acknowledge someone that still believes in dreams. It's a double edge sword Jimbo....... But you made it work and it stands as an inspiration to many, even those that have never posted I suspect. Great 'dream' and a great product. Thanks, Gerry

·
Registered
232 Posts
Wow, Thanks for the kind words guys! I will post some more Info here.

The History of The TRAILWAYCAFE Sport shield or AKA "The JIMBO Shield" for those who have the time and intrest.

The Café Shield is designed to take the wind load off your chest, this eases the pulling stress on your hands and arms, and significantly reduces the wind pressure and buffiting the body takes at speeds above 40mph &

does this remarkably well. It will give you something to duck behind when bees are crossing the road etc., but it does let the wind hit your face/helmet when sitting upright in a normal posture.. I tried designing the

shields higher(Taller) but the side to side wind induced torque on the helmet made things much worse than letting the smooth stream of air flow over the shield onto the helmet. I also discovered that when I rode with a

taller shield off-road and attempted a medium size hill climb that the long shield chopped me in the face. I guess I am the official test dummy for TrailwayCafe Sport Shields. The bigger the shield on a lightweight bike

like the TW the more unstable it can get in gusty conditions, (additionally) someone else already makes an excellent BIGGER shield called a "Spitfire" it wasn't the look and function I wanted for my TWs so I struck a

compromise, I went for :

(1) Appropriate size for a light weight bike for a myriad of riding conditions including off-road.(The shield rises about 6 inches over the cowl)

(2) Considered the load and stresses on the headlight-cowl mount hardware and tried not to exceed the potential limits of the fasteners and brackets that are already there.

(3) The look had to fit into the great look already there (the TW look) I wanted it to be as if the bike came with this Café Shield from the factory.

(4) Easy to install and truly functional. (The feed back I have recieved on and off this forum has been positive.)

The TW has always struck me not only as a great practical bike but it is attractive to look at bone stock, It looks like an Offroad Café Racer. I wanted to keep the great TW lines intact when I made the first protype

shields for our TWs. Before even thinking about designing the shield I had made several 60+ mile runs to the Anza Borrego Desert State Park from my home near San Diego CA,I explored twisty sand washes,Dunes and mud

hills then rode back home to discover that I was exhausted, not because the TW was not up to the task, the TW was smooth, relaible, miserly and more capable than I thought possible. I was exhausted because I was

fighting those wind forces all day long.I hunted for days on the web looking for some trick cafe like shield for my beloved TW to no satisfactory avail. I was going to have to do it myself.Yep! I first made them for me,

my-self and I "the unholy trinity" (selfish but true), they represent a well researched solution to Jimbo C's impulsive desert runs to see what the Lil'TW DualSport Cafe Racer could do.

I was very satisfied with their performance by the time the forum members spotted the shields in my avitar photos and aggressivly persued the shields by encouraging me to make them. The first year I didn't pay the slave

who was making these things out in my barn and he almost quit. (That Slave would be me) I thought I had created a monster. I manned up and asked for a little money for my effort, and I discovered that several dozen of

my friends here loved them too! On reputation alone the first year I sold about 250, the next year about 150 and this last year 2011 roughly 120. I not rolling in the big time money wise, but I do feel really blessed to

have made so many friends, and chatted with so many of you on the phone and especally the old forum. I have TW shields running around the world ,The Arctic Circle,England, Singapore,South Africa, Italy, France,

Moskow Russia, Austraila, Many to Canada, all over the USA,Alaska,Hawaii,& Guam.

Enough of this: Thank you guys for your great support and kind encouragement.

Ride Well, Jimbo

Reactions: Richbees44

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Jimbo...the human being and the fabricator...

The jimbo shield was the first thing I bought for my T DUB. I am a NOVICE when it comes to working on my bike even I was able to put it on in less that 5 min. Now as Jim on the human topic. Jim lives about 45 min from my house. As mentioned above, my skills as a mechanic are very limited. I have called Jim numerous times for advice on how to do it the right way.

One time, Jim even offered for me to drive down and we could tune up my T DUB together so I would know how to do it correctly in the future. We spent a good chunk of the day out in the yard on the bikes. The only way Jimbo would let me pay him for his insight and his time was by buying a burrito for lunch...and he almost paid for it as for I wasn't paying attention when it was time to pay.

There are good people in this world and there are good people in this forum as well. Jimbo is both in one. Kind, creative and someone that you know does things for people because he like to help others without ever expecting anything in return. Those that do appreciate Jimbo already know to return the favor.

Cheers to you Jimbo.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Mine had one installed when I bought. The guy I bought it from had bought another t-dub but it was a different color so he ordered a new shield. I have never ridden without one so I don't know what is like without one. I do like having it on there though. It fits so well it looks factory
. It definately forces the wind up over my head. On cold days/nights it is nice to have that is for sure

·
Registered
240 Posts
Jim, earlier today, I e-mailed you re ordering details. I wasn't sure I got your e-mail address correctly; but I'm here and would very much like to order a shield for my new TW? Thanks! Alan

·
Registered
232 Posts
Jim, Did you get my Canadian tire money??
Yes Triple Ted Thank You Sir and the nice old bike broschures too!

HI Alan,You got it right, I have your email here and will need a phone number and a color preference. we should do it through the email OK.

[email protected]

·
Registered
522 Posts
Thank you Jim for taking the time to tell the story of this shield. Some of my friends here in Europe talk about making one themselves but it's not as easy as it seems... thick plexiglas is expensive and it breaks easily when you bend it! Nothing looks better on a TW than a Jimbo shield and I'm proud to show it off on Italian roads.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thanks for posting the info on that cover Brockster, I will be hunting for one (a cleaner one).

Wow, I think my head is going to "esplode"!! Italy Land of Style and Beauty and Italian TW riders like my shield? maybe I going overboard here but that is a very very nice complement. Thank you Sinophilia, and thank you Wheelie Nelson too!(The proverbial "Awww Shucks Guys!" is in order here.)

Hey BillMichaels!! How R You Brother? RE: Kevlar fender mod I have been completely stalled out on it. multiple projects + Life and family trouble (Teenage step-son communication)sometimes I let this stressful stuff rob me of creative energy (only for the moment) Thanks for asking, I'm looking to strech a few swing arms with Ronnydog and persue this rear future fender further, soon I hope.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts