TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been getting a few short rides in on the back 40 (BLM Land out behind my place), but up until a few days ago there's been no snow. Well, it snowed a few days ago so I decided I "needed" to get in another quick ride. I knew the snow would melt rather quickly, so I slapped on the chains and off I went. Unfortunately, I wasn't prepared for the snow (should have watched the weather forcast better), so I didn't get the screws put back on the front tire. Turns out, I probably should have taken 15 more minutes and put them on, but I was impatient. Still, it was fun!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghPZz26HCrQ[/media]

·
Registered
315 Posts
Great video! love the winterizing pic. Just curious how does your dog stay on the bike? it seems like she/he would have to have one hell of a balancing act to be able to ride in the snow thats slippery/soft.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Nice riding area! Good save on the biff. And the mules know you are crazy, but are glad you are riding the TW instead of them!

What kind of chains do you use?

·
Registered
13,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great video! love the winterizing pic. Just curious how does your dog stay on the bike? it seems like she/he would have to have one hell of a balancing act to be able to ride in the snow thats slippery/soft.

I think Lizrdbrth said it best in some thread somewhere a while back, "she's a stockdog and that's what they do" or words to that affect. I did place a small carpet pad on the cyclerack to giver her (Georgie) better grip. Though the TW was a bit out of sorts, she stayed on till I stopped, though normally she bails off when I tip over:huh:

This past video shows her riding and balancing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6LzwDUtfLA

·
Registered
13,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What kind of chains do you use?

I don't really know other than they are chains (non- cable) for a small tire car. Pops in-law found this single chain along side the road. I take the rear tire off to put them on and take them off as they are a tight fit and too difficult to put on with the tire mounted on the TW. But they work pretty good.

Mrgizmow gave me the idea to try short sheet metal screws as studs for the front tire. I use the shinko SR 244 and this tire has enought rubber for the studs. Wouldn't try them with the stock tire. I put them in earlier this fall, though there wasn't any snow or ice. They stayed in pretty good. I should have taken the extra time to put them back on for this ride, which is why my front tire slide out, I think. I'm gonna put them back on in anticipation of the next snow.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
When people think yer crazy they tend to leave you alone. Sometimes that's a win/win

We get so little snow around here that we have to pretend to need chains, but it's nice to know that they'll work. I'm guessing they make a noticable difference in mud, as well?

·
Registered
7,105 Posts
I am just getting over a nasty cold / flu and watching your ride in the snow gave me a relapse! J/K!!!!

Long ago, when I was about 20 years old, I had a two wheel drive car get stuck in some mud. I put snow chains on and one would have thought I had shifted it into four wheel drive. After getting free I turned around and drove through the bad spot 3 or 4 more times just for the fun of it.

·
Registered
13,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lizrdbrth and Tony,

I have way more fun, and have more confidence in the snow, but the chains do make a differnce in mud. However, as Clint Eastwood would say, "A man's gotta know his limitations"!
Either way, the chains work better than tires without chains in mud, but I still avoid it most of the time.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Back in the early 90's one of my riding buddies had a tire stud gun, we used to take a high speed air drill and drill the knobs and install tire studs. worked like a charm, i ran a studded front tire all year. makes a huge difference on those diagonal snotty roots in the trails.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Lizrdbrth and Tony,

I have way more fun, and have more confidence in the snow, but the chains do make a differnce in mud. However, as Clint Eastwood would say, "A man's gotta know his limitations"!
Either way, the chains work better than tires without chains in mud, but I still avoid it most of the time.
Admiral, your my hero!!!! Thanks for all your imput! I like to ride in 90 plus weather.

Ronnydog

·
Registered
239 Posts

This is how I ride my TW in the snow. It is nice and cozy in there and I get fewer scabs this way. I do go out on adventures with my Honda ATV 4x4 in the snow though.

Happy Trails All

Ron in Boise

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Admiral,

What is the width of your snow chain?

This was this morning's view looking west toward Bullspitland. Looks like we finally have enough white stuff to do a comparo between the ATV tire and a chained-up stocker. Around here snow is like grandkids. I don't have far to go to visit it and I can leave anytime I wanna. lol.

Actually a welcome sight. As you can see the place was about to become a tinderbox.

·
Registered
269 Posts
More ice than snow on the roads. If there weren't a bunch of Californians trying to drive on the ice it would be fun to try it on the TW.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Damned Californians!

·
Registered
13,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Admiral,

What is the width of your snow chain?

This was this morning's view looking west toward Bullspitland. Looks like we finally have enough white stuff to do a comparo between the ATV tire and a chained-up stocker. Around here snow is like grandkids. I don't have far to go to visit it and I can leave anytime I wanna. lol.

Actually a welcome sight. As you can see the place was about to become a tinderbox.

Pretty picture! I measured the width @ 11 inches roughly. Have fun in them thar hills! We have the grand kids this weekend...one on Friday and the other Saturday...then we give them back! he he

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I wasn't there for the transaction, but I'm guessing it went something like this:

"You'll love it here. Winters are particularly picturesque and your new home is directly in the flight path of every post-pubescent, blind-drunk, hookie-playing, bald-tired, skiboarding flatlander with enough gas munny to get him here from L.A.! Sign here!"

"Aight."

·
Registered
269 Posts
I wasn't there for the transaction, but I'm guessing it went something like this:

"You'll love it here. Winters are particularly picturesque and your new home is directly in the flight path of every post-pubescent, blind-drunk, hookie-playing, bald-tired, skiboarding flatlander with enough gas munny to get him here from L.A.! Sign here!"

"Aight."

Something like that indeed!

·
Registered
13,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Added a couple of obstacles to the snow riding thing: more snow and nightfall!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts