TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello TW Fans!

Look at the member map; I am quite alone out here in the land of Ghengis! So, the cargo company is set. Gonna drop the $$ in their office in UB tomorrow, and with some luck, I'll be riding the first Mongol TW by late March (weather permitting). I'll likely get her here long before that, but there's no winter riding here unless you enjoy -40 C
Anyway, just thought I'd ask you guys to help me make the final call. It's between 3 TDUBs. Here they are:

http://http://losangeles.craigslist.org/favorites?fl=Y3BtN2M0MGdqNXJrOTo0MDg0ODUyOTc1LDI4MjA3NzIxLDI5MDU0NjIw

I figure I can't go wrong either way, even sight unseen. The 05 is only there because I love that color, but I have paint plans anyway...we'll see

Thoughts? Thanks.

Mongol Pete

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I couldn't get your Craigslist link to fly, but there are a number of us who may live close enough to scope out your final selection for you if you put it out there.

Never mind the bikes. You're in flippin' Mongolia. Some of us would kill to ride Mongolia, even if we had to do so on the indigenous junk. Ride reports!

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Mongolia has always been a fantasy ride of mine. That is so cool...

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
awesome! mongolia is one of those fantasy places i'll get to some day, but getting to see some of your future pics and ride reports will be great.
welcome to the forum

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can easily ship from LA, Denver, or even NY (for more dough)

Lemme know if u see something that must be seen!

Thanks TDubbers

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Such a rare bike should not be entrusted to a potentially careless and incompetent shipping company. I think you need someone to accompany it........

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
. I'd love any suggestions on mods...especially for heavier loads. Many pics to come, God willing...
you are going to want a cycleracks rack on it. Motorcycle Accessories in Boise ID | Carrier Racks | Cycle Racks Might as well get it shipped with the bike if you can.

I had looked into a visit a couple of years ago: http://drivemongolia.com/wp/ seems to be a lot of broken links currently.

I'm curious to know about shipping a couple of TWs there...looking forward to hearing your experiences.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lzrd...i don't think you'd be all that comfy in the shipping container at sea ;-)

rhode....there are Mongolian cargo companies in many US cities that have offices in UB...it's no problem to ship a bike here, im told...there are several local MC touring companies

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Is there a place in UB with access to Yamaha parts?

My wife spent a month with various nomadic groups in the steppes of Mongolia. She saw quite a few of these bikes. I imagine they would be easy to get parts for.

A beautiful country with massive wide open spaces. You are a lucky man.

PS: Don't eat the marmot meat.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Is there a place in UB with access to Yamaha parts?

My wife spent a month with various nomadic groups in the steppes of Mongolia. She saw quite a few of these bikes. I imagine they would be easy to get parts for.

A beautiful country with massive wide open spaces. You are a lucky man.

PS: Don't eat the marmot meat.
Look carefully at the turn signals. I wonder if they are mounted that way or have some type of folding mechanism ?
Also, hypothetically, would you trade your TW for the bike in the foreground -Evan Steven no shipping, just even trade ? I would love to be the first one on my block with one of those, whatever it is.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Look carefully at the turn signals. I wonder if they are mounted that way or have some type of folding mechanism ?
Also, hypothetically, would you trade your TW for the bike in the foreground -Evan Steven no shipping, just even trade ? I would love to be the first one on my block with one of those, whatever it is.
I think those are Russky Izh Planetas?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts