TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times, but I'm not sure what to do.

I really want to get a TW200 and I'm struggling to decide to buy new or used. I live on the Big Island of Hawaii, so things are a bit more expensive than normal. The local dealer quoted me $5600 for a 2021 model (600 is shipping to the island, 4,700 MSRP and the rest is taxes, etc).

Meanwhile there is a 2017 model on craigslist with only 1000 miles on it and has a few accessories on it; Bark buster handguards, Luggage racks, new skid plate, and aftermarket footpegs. They're asking $5200. I've been told you're not supposed to pay for extras? And I'm worried that the low mileage could mean it's just been sitting for a while and I'm not sure what I should be looking for if I were to see the bike.

Any insight here is very appreciated! I'm excited to join the Tdubs club

·
Registered
327 Posts
Considering the price difference i would buy the new one. Yeah youll pay for the accessories later but youll put exactly what you want on the bike, youll know its complete history and every scratch and scrape will be yours. When i bought mine, i found one on craigslist that had basically all the stuff i eventually put on installed already and had less than 1000 miles on it for just a littlw bit over what i paid for mine. I think it was 4800 for the used one with the stuff and 4500 for the new one which i bought. Im happy with the decision i made but its up to you. Id rather know the complete history personally. Obviously you cant do that if you want a classic bike but you can with the tw.

·
Super Moderator
5,972 Posts
Some mods are more use than others, so whoever told you you’re not supposed to pay for extras, just slap them round the head with a wet fish, and the bigger the fish the better

In this instance, there is little difference in price between one and the other, so I’d agree with Will and pony up for the new one. $5200 for a ’17 with 1k with a couple of goodies thrown in is a bit high in my opinion. I’ve never been one for “market forces”, it’s worth what it’s worth, not what someone will pay for it

Just make sure you have the dealer (for the new one) pinned down on price first, they tend to mention the taxes afterwards ….

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'd guess you'd better hit me with that wet fish then - because I don't think that mods add value to a bike. They're the mods someone else wanted, not me.

Just because another rider liked it, doesn't mean I'll want that same mod too - in fact, I'm just as likely to hate it and want to swap it out for my preferred mod instead.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'd guess you'd better hit me with that wet fish then - because I don't think that mods add value to a bike. They're the mods someone else wanted, not me.

Just because another rider liked it, doesn't mean I'll want that same mod too - in fact, I'm just as likely to hate it and want to swap it out for my preferred mod instead.
Id agree with that to a degree. A custom paint job is an investment youre not likely to get back. A full stainless exhaust is an investment that should add to the value though. It wouldnt make any sense that two used bikes of the same year model and mileage with one bike being totally stock and one bike having pro taper bars, full stainless exhaust, full led lights and a lithium battery being worth the same value assuming they are both in equally good shape.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Shit, mine cost me like $5840 in California. Freight charge was 200. The rest was other BS taxes, registration, assembly fee. But they are hard to find and this was the only dealer within 100mi that had them in stock. I wanted brand new so that I didn't run into any unexpected problems. Mods are fun to choose the specific thing you want, and I love installing everything myself just as much as I enjoy riding.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you, everyone, for the insight! I feel much better moving forward. I figured that buying a used bike with accessories wasn't so black-and-white, I'm glad that there is a difference of opinion on the topic! But I think having the peace of mind knowing the full history, and adding my own stuff to it, is what sells a New bike for me. Although if the used bike in question had the things that Will mentioned, I'd probably jump all over that lol

Thanks again! And I look forward to posting my progress of buying and upgrading the bike. If that's cool?

·
Registered
‘04 TW200, Jets+Shims, DGV2, S-moto fender, Acerbis Guards, ProTaper KX, JNS DOT LED BLK, Moose Rack
197 Posts
Thank you, everyone, for the insight! I feel much better moving forward. I figured that buying a used bike with accessories wasn't so black-and-white, I'm glad that there is a difference of opinion on the topic! But I think having the peace of mind knowing the full history, and adding my own stuff to it, is what sells a New bike for me. Although if the used bike in question had the things that Will mentioned, I'd probably jump all over that lol

Thanks again! And I look forward to posting my progress of buying and upgrading the bike. If that's cool?
Absolutely! Welcome to the asylum. The orderlies are alright as long as you don’t violate the rules, the beers not bad, even if it’s a little warm from the trail & everyone usually gets along in the TV room, except when they don’t.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Just remember you can recover from Covid. Farkleitus? There is no cure but it will get better with time, Welcome to the ward.

·
Registered
120 Posts
For the price difference I would definitely go new. Unless a farkle is exactly what I would add the value is $0 to me. People get so proud of their add ons that they price themselves out of selling the actual bike.

I almost always strip by bikes down to stock form before selling them then sell of the pieces separately.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I almost always strip by bikes down to stock form before selling them then sell of the pieces separately.
in my opinion this is the best way to get your money out of after market add-ons.

Reactions: SEADUB200
1 - 12 of 12 Posts