TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

First Time TW owner

4K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Husky44 
#1 ·
Well bought a 2019 today, have no idea why. I've ridden and raced dirt bikes since the early 70's until giving it up 5-years ago.
Have had sport bikes for the last 42-years and still have an R1 and 1250 Bandit.
Last week I started thinking about a dual-sport for a camp bike and hunting possibly, the TW seemed to fit the bill.
Anyway may take it out for a ride tomorrow and start the customization.
Look forward to visiting this site and gaining some much needed knowledge.

Take care
Domenic

#4 ·
Hey Domenic, welcome to the forum...and congrats on the new TeeDub!

Reactions: littletommy
#6 ·
Haven't even started the bike yet, maybe today. I always change the oil several times in the first 1k, ordered three oil filters last night.

I've always used Mobil 1 synthetic in all my vehicles including the motorcycles during break-in, what dino oil would you recommend prior to synthetic?.

#8 ·
Ok Husky,
Sounds like you've got plenty of experience behind you in motorcycles. One thing that's needed to keep in mind here is, it's a TW *200*! It's not a race bike. It's not a touring machine. And it's surely not a POWERHOUSE! Just remember, it's only 200 cc's and as such, has limited capabilities. It will take you where you want to go, maybe not as fast as you're used to but, you'll get there. It might not have the wazoo suspension that has miles of travel but, it will work, as long as you know it's limits. The one we have now is our third. The first two, bought and sold several years ago, I was not all that happy with 'cause I tried to work them past their limits. But, this recent one we bought, I'm a bit older and, well, maybe a bit wiser and just like to put around and enjoy slower and more fun cruising in and on forest roads, slight trails etc. Not to mention the high mpg of cruising the pavement around town. Good luck and enjoy it. They're a great little bike.
Scott

#11 ·
Took it for a spin today (8-miles) around my community, it took a little getting use too but was fun.
Most of the women driven suv's appeared to want to run me over:) but I survived.
Got it up to 55mph once just to see it in the red zone of the speedo.
Observations:
1st gear is way too low for a street bike (will be great on the goat trails).
I need bigger foot pegs.
The rear drum brake is useless.

Other than above it's going to be fun LITTLE bike, just need to avoid the street as much as possible.
Going to change the oil this week then take it on a few trails in the hills.

Thanks for all the valuable information

#15 ·
Well, yes, the shoes do need to break in. Use the brake gently at first and slowly increase the pressure over the first couple hundred miles to avoid glazing them....but you have done that many times before. I wonder if there isn't something else going on. If it doesn't improve in a couple hundred miles I'd have look to see if the shoes are contacting the drum properly. Unusual in a brand new bike but not impossible.

#16 ·
295 miles on my 2018. Rear brake is pretty weak.
No reason to replace the oil filters, just clean and reuse as they are metal screens not paper.
Also I suggest Dino oil for breaking in, this is a 1987 engine not a brand new corvette engine with perfect fit a machining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#17 ·
Wow, First off, I purchased my '07 with only 582 miles on it, about 2 months ago. It took me a week to get it to where I could start it because the poor little bike had been so badly treated in its younger years and, the bike had been sitting for 5 years prior to me picking it up. Lots of rust in the tank. Anyways, once I got it running, made some adjustments here and there, this little bike runs like a top. I too have had a zillion motorcycles over the years (about 50 years and approximately 25 or more motorcycles) and, I find no issue with that rear brake. SURE, it's not a disc. But, it works. The leverage applied by the brake lever on the drum/holder, is perfectly fine for any and all break applications. And man, I can't believe how many think using a USED oil filter is ok. Those things are CHEAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bought a three pack on Amazon for around $10 or so. I mean, man, I won't even think about re-using one. It's a choice thing but, they're just too darn cheap for me to re-use them. One quart of oil and one filter, about $5-$7 (depending on what oil I use and maybe an "on sale" thing) and it's done, about every what, couple thousand miles?

Your bike, your engine, your choice. Good luck.
Scott

#18 ·
Put two more miles on the bike to warm up the oil prior to changing, rear brake getting a little better.
Bought four filters from Amazon (paper) decided to re-use the factory mesh filter after cleaning.
Getting use to the bike and lack of power. Have to quit comparing it to my MX bikes and one liter+ street bikes.
I do find myself smiling and even laugh a little when ripping around on the TW, all is good in the world..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.