TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Took a ride after work today up a nearby Canyon. I’ve been doing this each week for a while, each time seeing how high I could make it before hitting too much snow. Today I made it to the top of the pass with first tracks! I pressed on and got about 1/2 way to the copper mine overlook and reached some deep snow. I spent a lot of time paddling with my feet to get that far. That stock front tire SUCKS in the snow! The TW was suckin’ wind at the high elevations (9k+ feet), may be time to re-jet from stock.

74ECA3A1-E4B0-42FA-B341-C421A8ED78C3.jpeg
0A753DED-635A-4309-A741-1F5701A4061E.jpeg
09A55DE5-0B3C-40C0-A1E5-CA83CCFBBEEA.jpeg
56CD8353-1661-4185-B9E2-60B4A3DFF97C.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
4,047 Posts
Pure Awesome! :)

·
Registered
19,604 Posts
Outstanding!
Nothing like braking trail and being the first visitor of the season.
Wish I could recommend a real superior front tire for the snow. I really liked my IRC GP-1 Trials tire but it could have just been my imagination. Seemed like a Shinko 244 clone in a softer compound.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Outstanding!
Nothing like braking trail and being the first visitor of the season.
Wish I could recommend a real superior front tire for the snow. I really liked my IRC GP-1 Trials tire but it could have just been my imagination. Seemed like a Shinko 244 clone in a softer compound.
The best front tire for snow is on a ROKON.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Riding on virgin trail and being the first to leave tracks brings great memories! My first virgin ride was a trail named Kim. She was a fun ride. Split the peaks! Right up the valley. The ride started a little cool and dry but I think that was my lack of experience. It ended hot and wet. Man was I tired. That breaking virgin trail is the best. When the trails get well worn they can still be fun. Rutted out makes for the need for greater rider skill. Really have to know how to work that pony. When riding in the valley of a well worn trail. The mountains have a tendency to not be as mighty and can even droop and sag. This just provides more riding opportunities for the experienced rider.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
For occasional trips to high altitude, I used to put a cup of fuel grade alcohol in my tank. To run alcohol you must be using a larger jet.
So if you are running at high altitude and running the same jet yours at lower altitude, just run about ten percent alcohol and it is as if you were running a smaller jet.
I used to ride with a friend who had an identical bike to mine. He weighed about 80 pounds less than me but his bike faded power at altitude when mine was still going strong.
I carried a one gallon can of the stuff on the back for these trips. When gassing up at altitude I would add some to the tank along with the gas.

·
Registered
19,604 Posts
Nice alcohol tip phelonius.
With only oxygenated fuels available at the pumps here I always have a cup or more of fuel grade alcohol in my tank.;)
About 15% ethanol here is the norm for CARB certified gasoline sales. No jetting changes are necessary, although leaner jetting might be desirable over 9,000 ft simply due to reduced partial pressure of oxygen in the less dense air. Not really necessary, just desirable as demonstrated by our group of mostly unmodified TWs from low elevations who successfully motored up some fairly steep technical stuff last summer above 11,000 feet. I believe almost all of us were using the dreaded "gasohol" pump gas sold in California. No one had increased any jetting size for the ride as we were rightfully concerned about already having too rich a fuel mix for the elevation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts