TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First trail ride on my new to me tdub

So, three weeks ago I found this clean 2012 and couldn't be more excited to ride it. The next day did the basic service and started riding around town with a grin on my face. So much fun!

The next Friday night I get a text from another member who I met through a landcruiser forum. GCRAD1 is going on a run on our local mountains here in Orange County. Sounds awesome but I don't have that much experience riding a dirtbike. Used to be a quad guy years ago (Honda trx450) but it's just not the same. I know he is a very experienced rider and can run a hundred miles no problem. Me on the other hand don't even know if i can run a few miles but he agrees to take it easy on me :).

We met at a gas station a a few miles from the trailhead and everything is going great until five minutes after we hit dirt. Out of nowhere the front tire slides from under me and I'm laying on the very rocky terrain thinking "great! This will be a long day. After I get myself together and lowered the air of the Death Wing, ( think that is the model of the tire) Rodney comes back to check on me and although I'm pretty sore, I think I'm more embarrassed for not even getting to the 10 minute mark before crashing.

After that and trying to chose a better line the rest of the time we make it to Santiago peak at 5000 feet and the view is amazing. You can see Catalina Island, downtown LA and Riverside County from the heart of Orange County.

I was having a blast and we decided to go down the other side into lake Elsinore in Riverside and then back up on a trail that Rodney recommended and I didn't even know existed. It was a blast and had some very rocky and at time very treacherous terrain at pretty much the limit of my abilities but luckily didn't go down again. :)

At the end of the day we rode pretty much 100 trail miles.

Here are some more shots of the trails. (Rodney took the ones of me). Thanks for making me look like I know what I'm doing.

We are very lucky to still have a place like this to ride in Orange County. Although there are people that don't understand this and leave their trash everywhere. Whenever we come up here with the family we pick up a full bag of trash. :/

Can't forget the pit crew!

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
your sons look eager to ride. :)

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Great pics and nice story about your first ride and the crash. Hope you didn't do much damage but did decide to replace the front tire. Lots of much better options than the Death Wing and depending on the normal terrain you ride should be the determining factor. Shinko makes a couple good ones and some others here have found good substitutes as well so do some research and maybe even your ride guide for this day has something better on his. 100 miles on trails like yours screams a nice Seat Concept upgrade from Placerlaod here. Bark busters, nicer handle bars like the Pro Taper ATV High bars make a big improvement and allow you to stand on the pegs in a more upright position. 100 miles is about the max limit with fuel so I hope there was a fill up somewhere along your trip.

GaryL

·
Registered
13,810 Posts
Glad you enjoyed it and had someone to show you around. Love the pictures. Good times.

P.S. When I'm riding alone and crash (hypothetically :D) I look around to see if anyone saw me. We all share the embarrassment factor to some degree.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Great ride and especially last picture.

·
Registered
20,510 Posts
What a wonderful story for a first trail ride, well told with lots of nice pictures too! Your buddy really took you on a good first adventure.

·
Registered
311 Posts
What a great introduction to TW riding. A good long ride with nice scenery, and you got that first mop-out out of the way :)

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Yes nice pics of a great ride. I or we need to come up there and ride with you guys. It’s about 2 hrs away from us.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Great report and pics!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great pics and nice story about your first ride and the crash. Hope you didn't do much damage but did decide to replace the front tire. Lots of much better options than the Death Wing and depending on the normal terrain you ride should be the determining.......

GaryL

Thank you. Result of the fall were a couple of good size bruises and the bike has a couple scratches and a bent front brake lever. I'm looking at hand guards but can't decide on which ones yet. The seat was surprisingly comfortable however we spent most of the time standing up. (Legs were dying the next day). Once we made it over to the other side of the range in lake Elsinore which is technically half of the trip we got to fuel up. It's a perfect all day trip although Rodney could probably have done it in less time. :D
Can't wait to take the little beast out again.

·
Registered
209 Posts
So, three weeks ago I found this clean 2012 and couldn't be more excited to ride it. The next day did the basic service and started riding around town with a grin on my face. So much fun!

The next Friday night I get a text from another member who I met through a landcruiser forum. GCRAD1 is going on a run on our local mountains here in Orange County. Sounds awesome but I don't have that much experience riding a dirtbike. Used to be a quad guy years ago (Honda trx450) but it's just not the same. I know he is a very experienced rider and can run a hundred miles no problem. Me on the other hand don't even know if i can run a few miles but he agrees to take it easy on me :).

We met at a gas station a a few miles from the trailhead and everything is going great until five minutes after we hit dirt. Out of nowhere the front tire slides from under me and I'm laying on the very rocky terrain thinking "great! This will be a long day. After I get myself together and lowered the air of the Death Wing, ( think that is the model of the tire) Rodney comes back to check on me and although I'm pretty sore, I think I'm more embarrassed for not even getting to the 10 minute mark before crashing.

After that and trying to chose a better line the rest of the time we make it to Santiago peak at 5000 feet and the view is amazing. You can see Catalina Island, downtown LA and Riverside County from the heart of Orange County.

I was having a blast and we decided to go down the other side into lake Elsinore in Riverside and then back up on a trail that Rodney recommended and I didn't even know existed. It was a blast and had some very rocky and at time very treacherous terrain at pretty much the limit of my abilities but luckily didn't go down again. :)

At the end of the day we rode pretty much 100 trail miles.

Here are some more shots of the trails. (Rodney took the ones of me). Thanks for making me look like I know what I'm doing.

We are very lucky to still have a place like this to ride in Orange County. Although there are people that don't understand this and leave their trash everywhere. Whenever we come up here with the family we pick up a full bag of trash. :/

Can't forget the pit crew!

Great ride, great pics, thanks for sharing! Glad you didn’t twist an ankle or suffer any lasting injuries. That front stocker sux.

#GYG
'13 TW200

A.T.

·
Registered
20,510 Posts
Alex, your handsome pit crew sure keeps your garage clean and nicely organized. It looks like they dropped your skid plate for the oil change, which while neater is not mandatory.

·
Registered
39 Posts
What a fantastic first trail ride! Great pics too, thanks for sharing along with the story. I've been enjoying similar trails a bit north of you in Santa Clarita. I replaced that front tire a few days ago with a SR241. New tire did well on the fire roads and trails.

·
Registered
198 Posts

Yea, sorry! I grew up in Alabama and couldn't resist all the Cali-fun! Been here since '85'ish
A skateboard magazine came into my Bama'woods - that was 1977.

You Cali guys with your Tdubs and LandCruisers and awesome trails have all the fun. Cheers and welcome.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alex, your handsome pit crew sure keeps your garage clean and nicely organized. It looks like they dropped your skid plate for the oil change, which while neater is not mandatory.
Haha. Thank you. Yeah, the skid plate has an opening for the drain but I know myself and I would probably end up making a mess. Plus the crew needed to turn some wrenches. :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What a fantastic first trail ride! Great pics too, thanks for sharing along with the story. I've been enjoying similar trails a bit north of you in Santa Clarita. I replaced that front tire a few days ago with a SR241. New tire did well on the fire roads and trails.
Yes nice pics of a great ride. I or we need to come up there and ride with you guys. It’s about 2 hrs away from us.
We might have to plan some rides in San Diego County and Santa Clarita

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Wow that's so weird when I read you were going riding on your first TW the first thing that came to mind was to warn you of the skiddish front tire doh !!! Don't feel bad the first time I blasted off on a TW I went to turn around and almost bit it hard just out of dumb luck I saved it. Nothing a new Shinko won.t help. Love the story and pics of your me TW you found a real gem there and welcome to the asylum

1 - 20 of 20 Posts