TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a my first build is going according to my expectations - that is the electrics are puzzling - I need some help before my wife realises my bravado is based on little real knowledge.

I am taking over a project from someone else who has done some wiring already. I have a CDI unit which was not connected in anyway(left) to the bike whilst on the bike was what I think is a later CDI unit (right). My question is: "Am I correct?" and if not, what is the unit on the right of the image.

Hope someone with some experience can help.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
17,937 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! :D

The year of the bike would help and also the numbers on the CDI.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the year of the bike is difficult as the VIN on the frame is JYA3AW00000102842. As far as I can make out, that is an old bike, pre-2001 yet the bike has a disc brake. so I think it is a "composite" bike and the year becomes less relavent.
The numbers on the two parts are: Left (CDI) 2JX -MO 123 and Right: 5LB-00 484

·
Super Moderator
17,937 Posts
I tried my friend and I can't find what year it is or what year those CDI's fit. I'm thinking that you have an European or Asian model TW and those don't correlate with our USA Vin number system. Perhaps someone else here can figure it out and will post an answer for you. You might try contacting a Yamaha dealer near you and ask.

·
Super Moderator
17,937 Posts

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
As a my first build is going according to my expectations - that is the electrics are puzzling - I need some help before my wife realises my bravado is based on little real knowledge.
NEVER let 'em find out about that!
And welcome to the Forum...

·
Registered
513 Posts
NEVER let 'em find out about that!
And welcome to the Forum...
Never say Never? Or Always . . . . unless . . . . . UNLESS?? Whats an unless? :D
Now that's funny, I don't care who you are!!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
You can use either CDI but you will need the stator that supports that CDI, and the wiring harness that goes with them.
The 2JX-M0 is for 87 only and is not advisable to use as it is very old and already may not work.
The 5LB-00 is the predecessor to the 5LB-01 and fits 01 to 17 at least. Do you have the plug for it? It uses a stator with 3 white wires for the charging system,
Red and white for pulser coil and brown and green for exciter. If this is the stator you have it should be easy to wire up. The ignition system is magneto driven and has no connection to the charging system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can use either CDI but you will need the stator that supports that CDI, and the wiring harness that goes with them.
The 2JX-M0 is for 87 only and is not advisable to use as it is very old and already may not work.
The 5LB-00 is the predecessor to the 5LB-01 and fits 01 to 17 at least. Do you have the plug for it? It uses a stator with 3 white wires for the charging system,
Red and white for pulser coil and brown and green for exciter. If this is the stator you have it should be easy to wire up. The ignition system is magneto driven and has no connection to the charging system.
Thank you tombauer. I appreciate the help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts