TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

So i bought my first tw200. I think i got a steal on 1987. It look roughed on the out side but as we started getting into it i think i may have lucked out. Rear breaks are clean on the inside and now moving. Chain is rusty but is still moving once pine cone was removed from front sprocket. Engine is holding compression. Will be replacing all cables and carb. Pulled the spark plug cylinder is smooth. Head has some carbon build up nothing some sea foam cant handle. Exhaust is mostly rusted out. Fuel tank is still holding what use to be gasoline.

Key on bike and gas tank seemed to be rusted and stuck on the mechanisms, any suggestions?

Yall have any other suggestions on things to look out for in this bike. Not as worried about electronics as it will just be trail for now. Will have to get a title before it goes on the road. Last time it was registered in 1987 in cali. Vin came back clean.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Hey Garfield,

Congratulations (I think?) on the new bike, and welcome to the forum. It looks like you have the right attitude regarding resurrecting your '87 TW. The good news is that TW parts are readily available and relatively inexpensive, the bad news is that the '87 is the first model year for TW's and the electrics are unique to just that one year.

Here is a good thread by GaryL that may be of some help to you:

https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/technical-write-ups/10798-how-bring-sitting-bike-back-life.html

Good luck and just reach out here if you get stuck or need some help.

Brian

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the forum. I recommend vinegar for the gas tank. Fill it to the brim and let it sit for a few days. Shake it every time you’re near it. If the tank doesn’t leak pour out the vinegar and look inside. If it’s still messy repeat with more vinegar or move on to acetone. Once it’s clean, if you’re not gonna be filling it with gas right away put a cup or so of WD40 or similar and cap it and shake to coat the innards. If you notice a leak, some can be repaired.

For the ignition and tank locks, I spritzed WD40 in the slots. That helped free them up. But I took the ignition cylinder apart and cleaned and lubed everything I could get at. Works pretty good now.

Good luck getting it up and running again. Depending on your state, getting a title can be cumbersome.

Couldn’t agree more about GaryL’s bike resurrection write-up. Lots of things I hadn’t thought of and important steps I would have missed or messed up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for info! Will look through the thread. Was on here last night researching before making a decision.

We are taking this project one step at a time and ensuring we can get it running before diving completly into it.

Im pretty handy when it comes to electronics. My repair specility is in that area. The bike was being ran with electronics about 5 years ago. So im hoping they may have already fixed that problem. If all else fails i will replace the entire system. Lousiana doesnt appear to bad to get a bonded title.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
An '87 last registered in '87. Good Karma.
Congrats, welcome and good on you bringing it back to life.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Hey everyone,
So i bought my first tw200. I think i got a steal on 1987. ....
I hope you stole it, looks like a lot of work, but quite doable!
Looks like you will need a new seat! I just happen to have a brand new unused 2018 seat for sale. Nobody wanted it last summer so I waited 6 months. PM me if interested.

·
Registered
20,206 Posts
Try your favorite penetrating oil & vibration on the key and lock cylinders. If frozen parts are heated then sometimes as they cool they pull the penetrating oil in deeper. No blowtorch around the gas tank, of course. Just a bit of judicious heat application like from a soldering iron on the key shank/key cylinder, then spray with penetrant , wiggle key and wait a bit.

·
Registered
377 Posts
What Fred sed.
I've had luck with penetrating oil, then insert the key and gently tap the back end of the key. Sometimes it will jar the tumblers loose. ...gently...

I'm also working on an old, abused '87. I ended up replacing the CDI and all was good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will try on the penetrating oil. Ordered new carb for it. Will pick up a new spark too. Thoughts on purchasing new starter coil and stator or will the starter coil run hooked up directly to a 12v?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
** Note on my previous post*** purely testing to ensure engine is still solid. Once I confirm engine is good. I have no problem getting a stator.

·
Registered
377 Posts
With my '87, after I replaced the spark plug there was spark, but not enough for it to run. Knowing that '87's are notorious for the CDI's going bad, I took a chance and replaced it with an aftermarket one (Waterloo) for $185. I got lucky - ran great after that.

When you get it running, one of the first things you'll want to check, is that the top end is getting oil circulation. You simply back off the small inspection screw on the side of the head for this, and make sure some oil comes out. Do this while the engine is idling.

Did you buy the original or Chinese carb? Regardless, you'll want to replace at least the airbox to carb rubber boot. Yours will be hard as a rock.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bought the chinese carb. Will order a boot immediatly. I am but a poor college student so the intial project is on a low budget. As time progress i will swap out with better parts. I think i am about to rewire half the bike due to cost of cdi's. Time and patience i have a good bit of though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We bought an 87 several years ago for my wife to ride. Yes the electrics are different than other years and the headlight output is abysmal.

We only ride in the day so its not a huge deal for us.

One unique thing on the 87 is you have both kick and electric start options.

This little bike has needed the least maintenance of all the bikes we have had. It just works.

I've only had to replace the countershaft seal and neutral switch sensor to resolve minor oil leaks on the left side.

Also had to remove and clean out the carb once.

Other than that has been normal consumable stuff like a battery, chain and sprocket set and a turn signal bulb.

Get 'er going and enjoy it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well the key trick worked thanka guys! I bought a chinese carb. Think we made a boo boo and cut the brakes electric switch line tonight. Woops... Though due to the lean of the bike there was heavy corrosion on the assembly probably needed replacing any ways. Chinese cdi is on order along with coil. Any experience with these? Also probably about to order a new stator.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Chinese cdi is on order along with coil. Any experience with these? Also probably about to order a new stator.
I wasn't aware of a viable option for a Chinese CDI. I think some have played around with this, but not sure if it was perfected. I'm curious about what you ordered.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So parts came in and life calmed down so i was finally able to get back working on the bike. I think the chinese cdi unit will not work... Has I have pulled out the front console and dug into the harness i have several connectors that are crumbling. Looks like heat damage mainly. Maybe ordering a whole new wiring harness. An old bike mechanic once told me if your having wiring issues with a bike cut them all out and start over. So know i am at an impasse: make this a purely off road bike or strip it down to the frame and motor and build back up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts