TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out today on an easy overgrown road. There was an old galvanized pipe in the road, about a 21' section. I believe it is a 1" pipe. I went to cross it ( maybe 15-20 degree angle) and I have never been thrown to the ground so fast since a stirrup leather broke on a bronc. I laid there for a minute and caught my breath, turned off my bike and limped around. I pulled a hammy of all things!

I think I will change that front tire out tomorrow before it kills me. :(

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Oh no! I hope you are okay. A pipe slide could happen with other tires, but... I think you learned why we nicknamed the stock front "death wing".

·
Registered
242 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Glad you are relatively alright and came out of it ok, all things considered. Could it of happened with a different front tire? Sure. But it definitely happened with the stocker. That tire always felt like crap on pretty much any surface. Mind as well get a much better alternative. Oh, and watch those pipes man. Ouch.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Whoa. Glad to hear you are okay enough to post.
Similar to Leisuretime Larry's comment, sliding on a smooth pipe can happen with most any tire anyway so be careful going forward with whatever tire you get.

Like why my golf swing sucks equally with my $39.00 driver from Costco as it does with my friends $400.00 driver.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
heal fast, ride on

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought the pipe was an operational pipeline that would be rigid and not move when I hit it. Instead, it was a single 21' section that rolled slightly when I hit it. I had NO chance with the loose pipe. I was willing to take my chances with the solid one. Not sure it would have made a difference or not. No good way to find out. I took this pipe and carried it off the road and threw it in a mesquite tree. When I looked down there was another section below me. We had lots of winter rains and the weeds and grass are DEEP, concealing all the nasties.

·
Super Moderator
4,047 Posts
I was out today on an easy overgrown road. There was an old galvanized pipe in the road, about a 21' section. I believe it is a 1" pipe. I went to cross it ( maybe 15-20 degree angle) and I have never been thrown to the ground so fast since a stirrup leather broke on a bronc. I laid there for a minute and caught my breath, turned off my bike and limped around. I pulled a hammy of all things!

I think I will change that front tire out tomorrow before it kills me. :(

It happens to the best and worst riders. The tire in your case was probably not at fault, maybe, but who can really ever tell except the actual rider. In the video below it was clearly my fault for not taking action and just haphazardly driving over the log "little stick" like it didn't matter. Granted it was wet and snotty and ever so small.. but it got me good. You can see early in the video no problem hopping wet sideways snotty logs on a little TDub when you are paying attention.

In this oldie but goodie video from last May at the greenridge ride I was hoping wet snotty logs until the one that got me "slammed me hard to the ground". It was my fault for sure. I had been hoping logs all day in the rain and wet grass. I was tired and assumed this little tiny one posed no issue, until it almost killed me. Took me down hard and fast. It's at the end of the video but the whole clip is good. I barley saw it but it taught me a lesson i'll never forget. Tired or not pay attention. Only those that were there knew how long of a journey we were on to get to that spot and laughing at this video made it all worth it. I think Admiral enjoyed the clip much more than others.. IIRC.. :)

·
Super Moderator
4,047 Posts
Death stick @ 1:57 seconds in above video, so subtle there hiding in the grass.
I went down like it was a Redwood... LOL :)

stick.jpg

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for the reminder and the lesson! Always like hearing these stories, especially when nobody is seriously injured. They are a great reminder, as it is easy to get complacent... Happened to me on my quad several years ago, and ended up breaking my shoulder. It was a four hour slog to get out and to a hospital, and all because I got complacent and didn't slow down and check before I ventured up the steep part.
Glad you weren't hurt any worse and that the bike is ok! Now go get you a good 244 :)

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
"I thought the pipe was an operational pipeline that would be rigid and not move when I hit it."

Well, it is certain that NO tire ever made would handle THAT!
I hope you threw it as far as you could!!!!

·
Registered
8,357 Posts
I bet just about any rider with a fair amount of seat time off road has experienced a trail side nap from some slippery object. Wet sticks, roots and logs, wet rocks and just about any other slick object can toss you for a nap. Some tires are much better than others in this arena however they are usually the ones with the softest rubber and wear out much faster than say our Death Wing. I use Blizzak winter tires on my vehicles for ice and snow covered winter roads and love the super soft rubber that IMO has the most grip. Too bad where most tires might last for as much as 40,000 + miles the Blizzaks are usually toast by under 25K. I really liked the Shinko Golden boy on my TWs but like the Blizzak they have a very soft compound and wear out much faster on pavement. I always found crossing streams to be the most treacherous of riding conditions. Rocks with some slime give you no grip at all and I don't care what tires you have. In my waders while fishing I can hardly walk in some streams even if I have felt on the boot bottoms. The more time you spend riding off road will teach you to remain alert for these unseen slick objects and as Fred points out those hidden sticks and branches just love to jump up and smack your legs so I try to always wear my shin guards off road.

GaryL

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
It is the un-seen submerged pipes that tend to get me.
nice pirouette fred, though i admit, i wanted to see you get wet. ;)

jj,
i had to play the video twice to see your "death stick," wow, really slippery.
my most memorable downfall was diesel on the road... look like water slide like greased ice. bam.

take away: ride safe, atgatt, and enjoy the ride.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts