TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
]Hi All,

I wanted to take a moment and introduce myself to the group. I'm new to riding and obviously new to the TW community. I've been incredibly impressed by this community and the love this bike gets and after getting out for just a couple rides I can see why.

I got on my TW (2003) last night for my first real amount of time and after some time working on turns etc. in a nearby parking lot my buddy (Bentzra, 92 TW) and I ventured to some nearby land for my first bit of off road. I think I'm still wearing the ear to ear grin I got as soon as my tires hit dirt.

Anyone with any advice for a newbie or anyone around the Syracuse, NY area with suggestions on good places to ride, I'd love to hear from you.

Here are a couple of pictures from last nights adventure.

photo 2.JPG

photo 4.JPG

Thanks,

Matt

Registered
I am a ways below you in Sullivan County and near Monticello. Go to the adventure section and look for the NE Russ Rally thread we are planning for June 6,7 & 8.

If you plan to do much dirt riding then dump the BS bridgestone front tire and get yourself a Shinko 244X 5.10 Golden Boy. That front stock tire sucks but the rear one is fine and it seems to like chasing the Shinko and staying up in the dirt. I'll bet you right now if you dump it will be from the front tire washing out on loose dirt or in a rut.

GaryL

Registered
Hi there, I know of a few good spots in Marathon and over towards Greek Peak. We'll have to get together sometime.

Registered
Welcome Matt,

New myself and just joined. I posted to another thread you posted in but it is off in never, never land:) I have some fun easy riding areas south and east of Dryden I am learning at. Shoot me a message if your interested.

Tom

Registered
Trail riding is an EXCELLENT place to build skills for the road. I bet just about everone here cut their teeth in the dirt. It was my recreational trail riding when I was a kid that gave me the skills I have now to negotiate traffic. Keep it up and welcome!!

Registered
]
Anyone with any advice for a newbie or anyone around the Syracuse, NY area with suggestions on good places to ride, I'd love to hear from you.
Hey Matt, being from Ottawa I am not familiar with anything in your area (my understanding is though that the state of NY is not very off-road riding friendly), but I have two links for you for riding up in Ontario (about 2 - 3 hours away from you).

Calabogie

Limerick Forest

Registered
Hey Matt, being from Ottawa I am not familiar with anything in your area (my understanding is though that the state of NY is not very off-road riding friendly), but I have two links for you for riding up in Ontario (about 2 - 3 hours away from you).

Calabogie

Limerick Forest
Actually here in upstate NY we are blessed with many seasonal/limited use highways that accommodate the dual sport lifestyle perfectly. In reality these roads are the primary reason for my being a proud new TW owner. I can get to a wide swath of central NY with very few miles actually spent on roads with heavy traffic:) Life is good!

Tom

Registered
Actually here in upstate NY we are blessed with many seasonal/limited use highways that accommodate the dual sport lifestyle perfectly. In reality these roads are the primary reason for my being a proud new TW owner. I can get to a wide swath of central NY with very few miles actually spent on roads with heavy traffic:) Life is good!

Tom
Didn't know that! You have any links/maps available? Anything in or around the Adirondacks? Thanks!

Registered
Didn't know that! You have any links/maps available? Anything in or around the Adirondacks? Thanks!
I will absolutely look for any resources I can find that may help you. The Adirondacks are a bit north east of my stomping grounds but "I know a guy";)

Tom

Registered
Thanks a lot Tom, that would be great!
This should get you started. Adirondacks - Motorcycle USA

My buddy said he will get me more info in the morning. Apparently he went to bed a bit early tonight and seemed "a touch" grouchy:eek: Oh well I know him well and it is nothing a six pack of tall boy's won't cure.

Tom

1 - 20 of 20 Posts