TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
That Benelli is basically the bike Honda should have built (CB500 Adventure...). Looks like it has some real promise as an adventure bike. In spite of the author's bold claim that the concept of some bikes being too heavy for off road "is bullshit", well, he's probably never ridden true hard enduro, much less tried to pick up a 550 pound, upside-down monstrosity, on the side of a steep, rocky hill, while it's lying on top of him...something that can be managed on something like an EXC! :) Sure you CAN take ANYTHING off road, but today's big bore, poly cylinder, 500+ pound ADV bikes just aren't going to do well in hard enduro, period. There's no weight spec on this bike, but it doesn't really look super light. Just by looking at it, I'm guessing around 450 pounds (if you take off the panniers). Still too heavy to be used as a dual sport IMO (I don't consider anything over 400 pounds to be a dual sport), but...it doesn't claim to be a dual sport, lol. I do really like some of the specs of this new bike: EFI, 500 cc, p-twin (low stress! - based on the claimed 47 hp output, which is great for this type of application, in my book), six speed - looks good. I agree with Jag: I really like the aesthetics here. I think this machine could be a great competitor to the Tiger 800XC.

That Bimota also looks pretty damn bad ass to me! There's a bike I could plunk down some cash for ;D 95 horsepower/385 pound dual sport? Yes please! Maybe not the most usable things under the sun, but I'm a big fan of that class (hyper dual sport) - right up there with the now-deceased BMW HP2 Enduro (LOVED that bike!). The grin-factor of such machines's gotta be hard to beat!

I've always been a huge fan of RideApart, and this article did not disappoint! Great content! Thanks for posting, LT.

Registered
Bimota DBX:

Registered
IKR; what's so cool is that it's right off of idle for 90 % of the video. Gobs of immediate torque. Sounds bitchin when he opens it up a little!

Registered
95 HP on the dirt, uhh... the point being?
Don't get me wrong, I love a good eyeball flattening ride, but in the dirt?
That's just $25K of "look at me".
The point being...it's fun! Stupid, nonsensically unapologetic fun! Of course it's not a sensible machine; THAT is the point, as far as I'm concerned. It's meant to be mental :) Based on the video I posted (and just checking out the bike in general), I'd say it's definitely more than just a look at me bike, though. Looks to be capable of serious dirt riding.

Registered
I would really like the Honda CB500X if it was styled more like a KTM adventure styled m/c. The CB500X gets some phenomenal fuel mileage. If it had a 5-6gal tank, more of a full size frame so economical minded 2up riding can be done. Honda has the technology to put an 8spd twin clutch automated transmission. Small motor and gear it to death. Years ago tractor-trailer trucks had 4 X 6 transmissions. 24forward gears. With an 8spd you could have a gear for all occasions. Low 1st gear and a tall 8th gear. People have reported 65-80mpg on the CB500X!

Registered
I would really like the Honda CB500X if it was styled more like a KTM adventure styled m/c. The CB500X gets some phenomenal fuel mileage. If it had a 5-6gal tank, more of a full size frame so economical minded 2up riding can be done. Honda has the technology to put an 8spd twin clutch automated transmission. Small motor and gear it to death. Years ago tractor-trailer trucks had 4 X 6 transmissions. 24forward gears. With an 8spd you could have a gear for all occasions. Low 1st gear and a tall 8th gear. People have reported 65-80mpg on the CB500X!

Actually I would just like a bull low gear below 1st just for when you need it.

I was looking at the CB500X again yesterday at the dealership, and sat on it for a bit. Ergonomically it fits me really good. I am still hung up on wanting a Wee-Strom 650 X, the latest rendition, but that Honda CB500X really speaks to me.

I really wanted a 650 V-Strom till I rode a CB500X. Might not be as good on the highway but the feel, sound, weight and ergonomics make it an easy choice for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts