TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Flag Replaced - but we didn't do it.

Last Friday, sscooter, Todd, Me and Georgie took off from Smiths Ferry to East Mtn Lookout and northern portion of East Mtn Way Trail. I'd done the longer southern trail last year. My original plan for this trip was to replace the American Flag, which I noticed was out of sorts on a trip I made up here about a month ago. To my surprise, the flag had already been replaced. I'm happy to see someone else cared about the flag.

The new flag someone else put up. I'm glad there are other folks who thought about replacing the flag and got'er done!

At the staging area - sscooter

and Todd on his TTR-230

Lunch break up on East Mtn Lookout. Georgie hoping for a morsel?

Fool Creek Trail off the East Mtn Way trail - I'll have to keep this one in mind for the future

Todd looks happy don't he?

Another break next to Clear Creek on Clear Creek rd

Georgie enjoying Clear Creek

And a condensed video version of our ride. Happy trails all!

·
Registered
52 Posts
East Mountain trail ride---VIDEO---

I finished my video version of the trip. It’s not often that I go on a group ride and I do not regret it, the day was great, the weather was on the warmer side but not unbearable. My video starts at the top of the Mountain and continues for the entire ride down the trail and bit more footage when we get back to the forest service roads. I took some still pictures but they did not turn out. Editing the video to keep the running time down is hard to do even spending a few hours working on it I got the footage down to 15 minutes or so. There was a time on the trail we went the wrong direction but I knew were we were. We were that little red line on my GPS with the triangle at the end of it:D I will say one thing running behind the other guys gave me plenty of time to ingest dirt. I think my eyes finally watered out the remainder of the dirt on Sunday as they don’t hurt anymore. I kind of planned on the dirt and brought along my dust mask it worked well. Maybe goggles rather than sunglass are in order.

100%

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Riding thru forest is sooo fun on a TW. Single track and fresh air! I try to ride back from whoever is in front of me so dust clears when I'm in a group ride.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Beautiful area! Thanks for the videos. Not having to replace the flag just means a good excuse for a return trip.......:)

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Very nice! I love the intent, I love that somebody beat you to it, and I love that it looks like a great time/ride anyway.

·
Registered
13,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very nice! I love the intent, I love that somebody beat you to it, and I love that it looks like a great time/ride anyway.
Well, said. I too am glad someone beat me to it!

·
Registered
13,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"video continues for the entire ride down - editing the video to keep the running time down is hard to do"
Fun watching the video. I've only seen myself in a video for just a few short shots from Ron in Boise when we rode in the Danskins. Kinda cool seeing Georgie riding on the back from someone else's perspective.

I liked your funnies in the video "we are here" map. I about fell out of my chair when I saw that.

I had no idea I was dragging branches around, again your comments regarding that were funny.

If either you or Todd put on a group ride and didn't mind my company, I'd go.

Had a great time and glad you guys could make it!

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Great report and pics! I loved the videos, too. Good also to see someone else cares enough to replace the flag. I'm sure your flag will get put to good use, Admiral. Those trails sure looked like fun, and good company, too. Thanks for sharing your ride with us.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Admiral,

I am very impressed by Georgie, that girl can ride!

You were going at a pretty good clip and down some gnarly sections but she seemed glued to that seat. What does it take for her bail off?

Brian

·
Registered
13,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Admiral,

I am very impressed by Georgie, that girl can ride!

You were going at a pretty good clip and down some gnarly sections but she seemed glued to that seat. What does it take for her bail off?

Brian
She's a pretty cool riding partner and rides the trails pretty good that's for sure. Todd and sscooter made comments about her riding ability. I think one of Todd's comments were "of the 4 of us, Georgie appears to have the best balance" 'er somthing like that.

When Georgie bails off, 99% of the time it's when she sense's I'm about to fall over, he he! Over the years, she's been bounced off by me just a couple of times when I hit a bump or something, which she wasn't anticipating, luckily, all a low speed!

·
Registered
85 Posts
FYI, my recollection of American flag ettiquet states that the flag is not to be displayed at night unless lit. I'm not familiar with the site where this flag is but it appears to be quite remote and not likely lit for 24/7 display. I've seen this many times before and it's ironic that those putting up the flag in this manner have a notion of being patriotic, when actually they are disrespecting the flag.

Even in westen movies, they play taps and lower the flag at the army forts at dusk.

I do not mean to criticize your efforts. Just trying to enlighten.

If I'm mistaken about the situation, I appolgize for bringing the topic up.

Even if I'm right, you still get an A for effort.

Happy trails.

·
Registered
13,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
American flag ettiquet states that the flag is not to be displayed at night unless lit. I'm not familiar with the site where this flag is but it appears to be quite remote and not likely lit for 24/7 display. [
/QUOTE]

I had given this issue of flying the flag at night and not being illuminated some thought. Even gave some consideration to a solar flashlight, if one exists and placing it on the flag pole, but thought there may be an issue with depth of snow in the winter and thieves.

Because this flag is flown at such a remote site, here was my thoughts:

Similar to the flags flown on the moon continuously and even during the 2 week lunar night, I defaulted to the phrase "out of practical necessity".

I'm guessing it's not illuminated at night, maybe I should do some research for a permanent night time light solution. Perhaps the jobs not done yet!

·
Registered
445 Posts

·
Registered
13,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1 - 16 of 16 Posts