TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
For the front, I carry tire irons, electric air compressor and the glueless bicycle patches. Tube has slime in it, but I now use ride-on in my other motorcycles. Rear is a Duro, so if it goes flat, I doubt I will notice and just ride it out and deal with it at home.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Slime or Stan's in the tubes. If you're really going off the beaten path, can't really escape bringing tools, irons, and a spare tube. I consider some in-tube sealant sufficient for general puttering around. If I pick up a nail or something in the road it slows the leak down enough to make it home. Heavy duty tubes can help resist pinch flats if you're running low pressure off road but don't do anything for pointy road trash punctures, and the extra rotating mass in the tires is noticeable for pavement performance and handling.

Some people here have experimented with sealing up the rims with silicone and a rim mount valve stem, and going tubeless. Supposedly this works pretty well but I have not done it myself.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
As a side note to this thread.
2 weekends ago I was at the DualSportBC Flat tire social and they had a demonstration on how to install a mousse and why we should use one.
Well, not quite sold on it, as they have a limited life span, but would probably last longer in the front of the TW.
They are the way to go if you do not want to deal with flats and they are stable up to 80 mph.

·
Registered
19,445 Posts
I sealed spokes for a rear rim with an ATV tire since the ATV tire is essentially non-removable in the field. Being Tubeless rather than running a stock tube allows greater success with sealants like RideOn as well as permitting use of simple plugs for common punctures.
Front tire is in the hands of fate out on the trail with only pre-installed RideOn in the tube and an on-board air compressor. I am prepared to limp home stopping to pump up as necessary.
These strategies evolved from earlier acceptable lesser alternatives like CO2 cartridges and cans of aerosol FlatFix.
There are some true heroes out there but rare is the TW rider who has successfully repaired a puncture on a tubed Trailwing rear tire trailside. Those who have succeeded have my respect and admiration.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Hmm... I wonder if previous owner added any.
Slime/ride on seems to be the popular route.
If the tube has Slime in it you can find out by removing the valve core. Just don,t remove it when the stem is at the bottom of the wheel.
Ride-on is more viscous and takes a long time to pool. I doubt it would show by taking the valve core out.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm... I wonder if previous owner added any.
Slime/ride on seems to be the popular route.
If the tube has Slime in it you can find out by removing the valve core. Just don,t remove it when the stem is at the bottom of the wheel.
Ride-on is more viscous and takes a long time to pool. I doubt it would show by taking the valve core out.
I'll shoot him a text later and just ask lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts