TW200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to pull the flywheel to replace the starter clutch gear . I got used to having the electric start and now it doesn't engage.
what kind of puller do I need? I have one to pull the internal rotor that looks like a hockey puck on my KX, but I know the funky external rotary with the stator in the center
I complain when I need to work on this thing but compared to other bikes I've owned and the time and use I've put on it the ugly little bike hasnt ask for much

·
Registered
412 Posts
I need to pull the flywheel to replace the starter clutch gear . I got used to having the electric start and now it doesn't engage.
what kind of puller do I need? I have one to pull the internal rotor that looks like a hockey puck on my KX, but I know the funky external rotary with the stator in the center
I complain when I need to work on this thing but compared to other bikes I've owned and the time and use I've put on it the ugly little bike hasnt ask for much
You will need a means of stopping the flywheel from rotating, then either screw in the rear wheel axle bolt until it pulls it off, or you can use an M16 x 1.5mm fine pitch bolt.

·
Registered
13,806 Posts
You can use the rear axle. To loosen, the axle (or if you find a bolt which has the same metric threads) needs to go clockwise. I used an electric impact wrench but you can use an air impact wrench as well. It was near impossible with a socket wrench/breaker bar. My engine was already disassembled so I had to improvise a method to hold the engine from rotating. Maybe you can visualize with the pictures of what you may need to do.

You can also maybe buy or rent or borrow a flywheel holder tool from a local parts store similar to the one below.

Reactions: buellzebub

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
I thought using the rear axle is a great idea. I was too lazy to pull the axle though so I ordered a puller bolt. I first checked at Ace Hardware. They had the correct size but the wrong thread pitch. Definitely use an impact. I had to oil the bolt well and run it down and reverse it a few times and then it popped right off.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Autozone (and probably other parts stores) rent a tool for this for free, but as said the TW has the trick of using the rear axle.

Failing that, I've also popped flywheels in a pinch without it. Loosen the bolt holding the crank on, back it out a few turns, but don't remove it entirely. Use a prybar to push the flywheel outward, and give the center bolt a solid whack with a mini sledge. Move the prybar 180* and repeat. Usually within a couple smacks it'll pop loose. That's not the "correct" way, but eh, gets the job done and doesn't really hurt anything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts