TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was attempting to remove the flywheel and I saw something say you can stick a small socket in there with the oem bolt and it would come off.
So I tried this and now my flywheel bolt is stuck halfway down and just spins doesn't get any tighter or looser did I screw myself?

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and sorry to hear about the problem that you are having with your flywheel.

Here is what is going on with the TW flywheel and crankshaft.

The flywheel is mounted onto the tapered end of the crankshaft. It is secured from rotating with a Woodruff key, and is tightened down by a bolt that threads into the end of the crankshaft. To remove the flywheel, you must first remove this bolt, which it sounds like you succeeded in doing. The next step is to thread a bolt, or an actual flywheel puller as shown below, into the internal threads of the flywheel. The TW's rear axle is the correct thread and can be use to do this also. As this bolt is tightened, the flywheel will be pulled free from the tapered crankshaft. All threads are standard right hand threads.

TW Flywheel.jpg

I would try gripping the socket with some Vise-Grips or Channel-Lock pliers and then unscrewing the bolt. Then see if you can secure the flywheel from turning and then try to remove the socket without damaging the internal threads on the flywheel too much. Then you should be able to use a proper sized bolt/flywheel puller/rear axle to get the the flywheel to pop free. The proper thread size needed is 16mm x 1.5 RH MP.

Best of luck,

Brian

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay so I was dumb and read a thread wrong and I put a small socket into the inside threads of the crankshaft and doing so it wegged the socket into the internal threads on the crankshaft is there anyway to drill it out and retap the internal threads or would I just have to replace the entire crankshaft

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Okay so I was dumb and read a thread wrong and I put a small socket into the inside threads of the crankshaft and doing so it wegged the socket into the internal threads on the crankshaft is there anyway to drill it out and retap the internal threads or would I just have to replace the entire crankshaft
Is there any way that you could use a socket extension or a bolt to engage the socket and then try to carefully unthread the socket from the crankshaft?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sadly it flattened the top of the socket so it doesn't even have a hole anymore I don't know what to do

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Have you considered using extractor bits?
But without involving any hammering to prevent any damage to the crankshaft.
I agree with the above approach. Are we looking at the square end of the socket? If so, there should be enough meat there to drill out an opening in the center for a flat bladed screwdriver or a decent sized extractor.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Wow that's one good and proper dickering. You're going to have to somehow un-wedge the socket from the crank's internal threads. I'd go with the suggestion to drill a hole into the socket and get a reverse spiral extractor in there to try and un-thread the socket out. But if it's all mangled or the end is mushroomed over, it may not want to come out or will damage the threads on the way out. Damaged threads can be repaired either with a retap or drilling to the next size and re-tapping.

The rear axle trick works well or another suitably large bolt. An impact gun helps and will usually pop the flywheel right off. Otherwise, tighten the bolt up with the engine in gear and something wedged in the sprocket to keep it from turning. Get it "gutentight" and then give the head of the bolt a smack with a mini-sledge, then re-tighten and repeat. Put a towel down as a couple times I've seen the flywheels really fly off.

·
Registered
19,413 Posts
That TW-Brian sure gives accurate & well depicted information!

Same for advice on using impact gun, worked for me with rear axle bolt. Two thumbs up. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Now for an out of the box idea to prep the site for the above extraction methods. Spray a bit of penetrating oil through the socket into crankshaft's end cavity. Use compressed air with blow gun's rubber tip to make a seal and attempt to use air to drive penetrating oil between crank internals and stuck socket. Eye protection and a rag to catch any errant spray blowing by the threads is a good idea.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts