TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was sorting thru some motorcycle stuff when I found my FM walkie talkies. I have a radio shack one I used when I was in a car club (sold car) and a pair of cobras that I barrowed from my brother and never returned...:). Anyone else in the Norcal Gang have any laying around. Put some fresh battieries in them and lets see if we have enough for everyone to carry one. Might speed up the process of finding lost riders. (Joeband.....and then half our group on second ride....LOL)

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Hey Mike, I was waiting to see other responses before giving my thoughts. I have several of these radios. I have one setup in conjunction with a MotoCom device in my ATV helmet. It has speakers and a mic in the helmet and a push to talk button on the handle bars. I like the way it works and think these could be helpful on a group ride. It would take very little to convert it to the TW. Let's give them a try.

Joe

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds good Joe. I'm sure we can come up with enough for every rider to have one. We'll post a reminder and get a count of how many we need before the ride.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
i have a couple of motorolas, though I'm not sure what the range is in mountainous and hilly conditions. i'd certainly be willing to try them.

what? me get lost? i was only the navigator!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sure wish I was going riding with you guys. lol. Just thought I'd offer a suggestion to maybe help out.
If it turns out the Walkie Talkies don't work out and being how everyone in the entire world now has smart phones.
There's an app for just such occasions. It's the only PTT(push to talk) app that I've found that works across all platforms.
Iphone, Android, Blackberry, Windows phones and PC. It's called Zello and it's free. I've been using it myself for months.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
i hate cookies, trolling and algorithms that monitor our every keystroke. look at the pop up ad i got from this post:

walkie.jpg

think the NSA is watching us too?

·
Registered
19,414 Posts
ValorSolo, does Zello work when out of cellular coverage?

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We will be in dead zones. Walkie talkies are our best bet.

·
Registered
19,414 Posts
I have two Family Service Radios that could be loaned , if this is the type of walkie talkie you will use. I do not know if I'll make this ride, but could send radios home with Evan this weekend and retrieve them sometime in future. Pretty Verdi picture for you folks just 'cause you all like visuals

Attachments

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
The MotoComm systems are available from Amazon for less than $50. With in helmet speakers and mic, and push to talk botton on the bars, you have clear communication at all times, moving or stopped.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I assume the walkie-talkies can only be used when you're stopped and helmet-free? I've been searching for a good solution to communication between my bike and my husband's when we're riding together.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
TravelDiva, the MotoComm units are made for helmet use. Speakers and mic in your helmet, push to talk button on the bars, all connected to your FRS/GMRS radio.

·
Registered
19,414 Posts
Traveldiva, you may want to look at Sena, or others manufactures 400 meter range bluetooth helmet intercom units. Hitec, hi fidelity stereo compact,multidevice integrated (make or take a call : or share streamed music simultaneously picked up from your cell, tablet or other wifii device) Cost $180 a pair, pricey but do so much more than just give bike to bike coms. No interference from other transmissions off of your net.

·
Registered
19,414 Posts
For those who want the less secure walkie talkie systems alot of helmet compatable units are out there. Motocom units are top notch, but simple covert security earliece,mic, and push to talk clip on switch rigs just like you see all the spies wear can be had for under $5. These you wear under helmet. Search Amazon, just make sure single pin connector is compatable to your radio brand.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts