TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went ahead and put a FMF exhaust on. I wasn’t anticipating any power gains but I may have picked up a little bottom end throttle response. Negligible improvement but truthfully I wasn’t expecting anything.
Sounds great (IMO) though and no audible signs (popping on deceleration) of it running lean. I’ll check the plug after a few more rides. Carb is stock with the exception of the screw adjustment backed out to ~ 2.5 / 3 turns from fully closed. Was thinking of increasing the main jet but not sure if it is needed. I’m sure it wouldn’t hurt though based on many other threads that been posted here on increasing the main to a 128 / 130.
Any thoughts? Suggestions?

·
Registered
303 Posts
130 seems to be the popular choice. Is it strictly necessary, not really. But it will help the engine run a bit cooler, and the top end will pull a bit stronger. I've run 128,130, 132, and 135 on TWs in various setups. Stock with a slip-on I'd probably go 130.

Keihin jets are interchangeable/use the same numbering scale as Teikei jets. They're just a lot more common/accessible/cheaper. Mikuni and Dynojet numbers do NOT compare(different scales).

·
Registered
264 Posts
130 seems to be the popular choice. Is it strictly necessary, not really. But it will help the engine run a bit cooler, and the top end will pull a bit stronger. I've run 128,130, 132, and 135 on TWs in various setups. Stock with a slip-on I'd probably go 130.

Keihin jets are interchangeable/use the same numbering scale as Teikei jets. They're just a lot more common/accessible/cheaper. Mikuni and Dynojet numbers do NOT compare(different scales).
RaZed1 What aftermarket slip-on pipe do you currently have on your setup? I know you've got quite a few other upgrades that make the stock w/ slip-on not quite comparable, but I am trying to decide between the FMF and the DG—I prefer the DG for looks, and DG is what I have for my RD350, and they always sounded quite awesome.

Regardless, I've got a jet kit coming from ProCycle that should be here later this week, and I'll be trying the 130 up from stock based on your recommendation. I'd kind of like to see how that goes prior to purchasing an updated exhaust.

·
Registered
264 Posts
So I went ahead and put a FMF exhaust on. I wasn’t anticipating any power gains but I may have picked up a little bottom end throttle response. Negligible improvement but truthfully I wasn’t expecting anything.
Sounds great (IMO) though and no audible signs (popping on deceleration) of it running lean. I’ll check the plug after a few more rides. Carb is stock with the exception of the screw adjustment backed out to ~ 2.5 / 3 turns from fully closed. Was thinking of increasing the main jet but not sure if it is needed. I’m sure it wouldn’t hurt though based on many other threads that been posted here on increasing the main to a 128 / 130.
Any thoughts? Suggestions?
Sbungo, is there a specific reason you went with the FMF vs. DG?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went with FMF for a few reasons.
1) I personally like the look better than the DG. Both look good but of course everyone has a preference.
2) Many years of having 2 stroke motocross bikes and I always put FMF on. They always held up well and performed well.
3) I listened and watched a few online video clips and the FMF sounded a little bit more along the lines of what I was hoping for.

IMO, both are probably great exhausts but the decision to go with FMF are for the above reasons. And I will tell you it sounds better than I anticipated. Very deep tone but not obnoxiously loud.

·
Registered
303 Posts
My first TW I ran the DG oval slip on, my current one came to me already with the FMF slip on and the XT225 headpipe (identical to the TW one, just shiny instead of black to match the rest of the exhaust).

Six on one hand, half dozen the other. Both fit perfectly, both well made and high quality, both sound to my ear pretty much the same. If I had to make a call the DG was maybe a touch louder/"brappier", but honestly without comparing them side by side who knows. Any difference in performance is completely negligible. Neither one I thought was obnoxiously loud.

The DG one seems to sell for about $30 less, other than that just get whichever you like the look of better.

·
Registered
264 Posts
So I put a 130 main in and shimmed the needle .022”. Pulls harder on the top and accelerates better. Nothing earth shattering but want to make sure I’m more on the rich side than lean.
@Sbungo, how many shims was that, 1 or 2?

I was thinking of starting with one after doing the 130main, as well as adjusting the idle/air-screw as well.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
Have to be the Debbie Downer for a minute.
Just this Sunday we were watching the show on TV, "Northwoods Law" which was about the Environmental Conservation Officers in the state of New Hampshire. Something I did not know and I am sure others here might be unaware of and it could also be the law in other states. The ECOs were stopping bikes riding the trails in NH and giving riders tickets for having FMF or DG pipes on their bikes. According to their laws in NH any aftermarket pipes are illegal in their state. The tickets cost $124 each and each rider was told to put the original stock pipe back on the bike or stay off the NH trails and roads. No modifications of the stock exhaust are allowed in NH. Keep that in mind if you plan to visit that state and you might want to check the laws in other states especially states that have forest preserve trails. I do know for sure that many states have an absolute requirement the muffler must have an approved spark arrestor in it for off road trail riding.

GaryL

·
Registered
32 Posts
Have to be the Debbie Downer for a minute.
Just this Sunday we were watching the show on TV, "Northwoods Law" which was about the Environmental Conservation Officers in the state of New Hampshire. Something I did not know and I am sure others here might be unaware of and it could also be the law in other states. The ECOs were stopping bikes riding the trails in NH and giving riders tickets for having FMF or DG pipes on their bikes. According to their laws in NH any aftermarket pipes are illegal in their state. The tickets cost $124 each and each rider was told to put the original stock pipe back on the bike or stay off the NH trails and roads. No modifications of the stock exhaust are allowed in NH. Keep that in mind if you plan to visit that state and you might want to check the laws in other states especially states that have forest preserve trails. I do know for sure that many states have an absolute requirement the muffler must have an approved spark arrestor in it for off road trail riding.

GaryL
I was watching the same episode and like the show also.

They were getting tickets because the bikes were louder than stock, not specifically because they had aftermarket exhausts. As long as any exhaust was not louder than stock then it would be legal. So if those bikes had the FMF Q-Series exhaust with the quiet insert they likely wouldn’t get a ticket. I know one had the FMF Shorty silencer which is definitely louder than stock.

Here in California we have a decibel law that even off road bikes have to be under an some rangers actually test the bikes randomly but again it doesn’t matter if it is stock or aftermarket.

For street legal bikes it’s actually against the law to modify or tamper with the exhaust but isn’t enforced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts