TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new FMF pipe from OEM cycles (part number 044312). When the header is all the way in and the aft mount is lined up, the forward mount is 7/8 inch too far aft. I called OEM and FMF and they both say it should fit. I’ve seen some feedback that states the same problem that I’m having. Anyone have the same problem?
I could probably fabricate a bracket but it’s BS that I should have to do this.
$18 out of pocket to ship back. I may just ship back and stick with the stock exhaust.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Make a little bracket. It's Yamaha's fault, somewhere along the line they changed the mounting point. Why? Heck if I know...

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's that way sometime. I rode Harleys in the 70's & 80's, every replacement part came in a box with a rat-tail file for adjustments.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I'll make you a bracket for $18 ;p

In all seriousness though, I know it's frustrating and you're right it should fit. But alas, tis the world of modifications sometimes. If you were local, we could fab in my barn in prob ~10 mins.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
A little piece of flat strap iron with two drilled holes should do the trick.

·
Registered
960 Posts
When you are done, order in a Clarke Racing tank. You can fab your right plastic on to match the FMF pipe bracket. Your bike gets that much better each time you do something like this. You may get a deduct at Pebble Beach, but you will enjoy the hell out of the job and the better pipe and better tank. FMF did not do you wrong. Yamaha has a sense of humor. Don't put your factory exhaust back on. Why would you hum along with Barry Manilow when you can be on your TW rocking to Steppenwolf.

·
Registered
329 Posts
By your picture, simple fix, do what Tommy suggests with little strap of band iron and drill 2 holes. That would be easier than sending back.
My experience with aftermarket is nothing ever fits as it should. Just do the simple mod and move on.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
i had a similar problem fitting a DG. when it went on there was stress on the mid bracket and it ended up breaking after a few months. just the same as the cycle rack, if they don't go on free of stress at the mounting points, things will break

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I’ll just fabricate a mount. Does anyone have any idea when the mount changed? I’m talking to Ralph at FMF and hopefully they can include an additional part for mounting or modify accordingly to avoid this problem in the future.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts