TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just throwing this out there in case there are any recommendations other than stock muffler.

I bought my TW from Oregon (OSU) MSF course - lot of miles but runs well. Has FMF on it, I have no idea why but it appears they put them on all of their trainer bikes. Way too loud, I bought one of the quiet core inserts but it is still way too loud for me. I don't know if/when it has been repacked but will take it apart and re-pack it, are all of the packing materials the same or any that might have a chance to make it quieter?

THanks

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
What? Sorry I am deaf from the DG.

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
I much prefer the stock one. Very stealthy!

Just throwing this out there in case there are any recommendations other than stock muffler.

I bought my TW from Oregon (OSU) MSF course - lot of miles but runs well. Has FMF on it, I have no idea why but it appears they put them on all of their trainer bikes. Way too loud, I bought one of the quiet core inserts but it is still way too loud for me. I don't know if/when it has been repacked but will take it apart and re-pack it, are all of the packing materials the same or any that might have a chance to make it quieter?

THanks

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
:hello2::hello2: Leave it to Fred to give a real answer The packing you showed looks great. At some point I will need it in my DG pipes. Thanks.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A more permanent solution might be to find the stock exhaust listed on Ebay. When the stocker arrives, put the FMF back on Ebay and probably get your money back, maybe a little more.
I might go that route if replacing the packing doesn't help enough. Not that it should really matter but I do like the look of the FMF and if I can get it to quiet down some I'll be happy with it. I haven't taken it apart yet but I doubt that the packing has ever been replaced, maybe the old packing is all blown out - at least that is what I'm hoping.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
My wife loves the sound of our pipes and I do too. She thinks that cars can hear us better on the street. That is open to debate. You could always wear foam ear plugs. Some riders recomend to do that anyway.

·
Registered
287 Posts
When I first got my tw I was shocked at how loud the stock pipe is. I have a fmf titanium 4.1 with db killer on Ktm 500 exc and it's quieter than the tw at most RPMS, including idle. One of my friends had a fmf q4 on his wr250r and it was the quietest pipe I've heard, and it also had great power gains over stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
322 Posts
If you like the look of the fmf, re-packing will help. Wrap it tight, you can use clear packing tape to really compress the material.

I like the stock muffler and I would only change it if it got messed up or rusted out.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I have not heard the FMF. I put on a DG R series and it sounded so good....but unreal loud! I would snap the throttle (and laugh!) it was louder than most bikes that are way larger. I put on the quiet insert and have been real happy with the sound - just right for me.
I have repacked pipes before and the difference can be huge - but if it is a straight thru pipe the difference will be less than the pipes that have small scoop baffles that direct some of the flow into the packing

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I took the FMF apart to repack it and was disappointed to see that the fiberglass was in excellent shape. it has stainless wool spot welded to the inner baffle pipe and that is very clean and in good shape so I'll just repack it and put it back together. I expect it will be just as loud as before.

IMG_0404.JPG

Edit

The re-pack made quite a difference and I'm fine with it now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts