TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Folding mirrors opinions

8K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  frog13 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any experience on these folding mirrors?

http://www.doubletakemirror.com/

Or maybe this solution.

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Equipment/adjustable_mirror5.htm

I was looking to put some risers on to see something more than shoulders and ran across these options. I like the idea of folding mirrors for the tight trails. The armpit view mirrors are an interesting concept.

Any opinions or experience with either?

This is another folder mirror but everyone seems to complain about vibration with these below.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/9/192/6299/ITEM/Acerbis-Rear-View-Mirror.aspx

See less See more
#3 ·
I have the Double Take mirrors (2 mirrors, 3 inch arms, ball mounts and Yamaha adapter). I put them on my TW a few days ago.

They are better than the Ken Sean mirrors I had previously. There is a bit of vibration at certain rpms... will have to pay more attention.

They are the most adjustable of any mirrors I have used.

At $100. plus shipping there are likely less expensive solutions.

I bought them because I already had extra Ram ball mounts so I can use them on more than one bike. Takes less than a minute to change them to a different bike.

jb

#4 ·
The Doubletake mirrors are clear up to 5,500-5,800 rpm. Above 6,000 rpm they are blurry. You can

see that there is someone behind you, but can't be sure what it is.

Since most of my riding is below 6,000 rpm, they work for me.

jb

#8 ·
I have one on the clutch side and I really like it. I got the 3" arm and I can adjust it to see around my shoulder/elbow. It folds away securely and easily. I don't notice much of a vibration. It worked great for several unexpected get offs. Very tough mirror. They are a bit pricey, though. Rubber side down, Dave

#7 ·
i love the positionablity of the doubletake, but i find them very blurry. i also had a lot of trouble getting the right side to tighten with the screw adaptor. jury's out in my mind.

#9 ·
I drilled a 1l2 inch hole near the mirror and installed a 1" bolt and nut. (just for testing) Took the vibration out of them. Planned to do something more aesthetic but that was a couple of years ago so it looks like the bolt stays. I've had the mirror up to 93 MPH on the highly geared WR426 and they still worked fine at that speed. Have to be pretty tight though.

Some adhesive wheel weights clear out toward the end of the mirror would likely work even better.

I never get the TW above 45 MPH and these cheapies work fine at that speed for me. https://www.denniskirk.com/392414.s...m_medium=cse&gclid=CKnY__Luw7sCFUWCfgod4SEAzg

#10 ·
I have used the DoubleTake mirrors on several bikes; DRZ400, Husky TE310, Husky TE511, Suzuki V-Strom and now the TW200.
They are ok to keep a bike barely street-legal for mostly riding off-road.
I haven't managed to break one despite numerous crashes in the woods & rocks.
They vibrate at higher revs & speeds.
At high speeds (80-mph +) they will not stay in place - not good on the V-Strom.
I think they will be fine on the TW.

#11 ·
Hmmm,wheel weight(s) on the outside of the mirror for a vibration damper....good thought. I had a Honda xr650L a few years ago and I believe those mirrors had rubber dampers at their base???. Think a rubber washer would help should the double take mirrors start to vibrate?....just a thought.

#12 · (Edited)
Mine vibrated really bad on the WR426 even at 45-50 MPH. My take was that they were just too light in mass. I think the light mass stem just doesn't have the ability to transfer enough of the vibration to get the mass on the end to vibrate. I would expect that weight on any mirror would help dampen any problem vibration.

If you think about it, a vibrating object has to stop, change directions, accelerate, slow down, stop again, repeat, all in rapid succesion. It takes more force to do that to a heavy object than a lighter one.

#13 ·
Change the weight at the end of a pendulem and you change the frequency of it's swing. Any weight change at the mirror will move the vibration to another range.

The sticky weights would be great for adding &removing until it's clear all up the RPM range.

#15 ·
Ok,well, the Bearded one thought I was good this year and left me a pair of the double take mirrors & the right side adaptor. My question is,the right side is easy to tighten down to the perch because it has a nut where the mirror meets the adaptor , but the left side has nothing ?. I suppose one will have to just hand tighten the left side as best as possible?.....anyone else run into this?. TIA.

#17 ·
i didn't have a problem with the left one, but i couldn't get the right one to tighten because the adapter was round and tightened the opposite direction as the mirror. to tighten one, loosened the other. (does this make sense?) i even tried gluing and JB welding it, and neither worked. i want to get an adapter from procycle, as their's are octagonal and you can get a wrench on them.

#18 ·
Joe.....exactly,the right side is fine due to the "nut(s),actually there are two, so,tightening down the mirror or the adaptor is easy,but the left side is what I'm having tightening issues' with. I've tightened (left side mirror) it down as hand tight as I can,but,just figured a more experienced rider than I would chime in and advise the "trick" for the left side?. TIA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.