TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Footpeg crooked/offset question

5K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  glowspud 
#1 ·
I went for my first long ride on the the TW today. About 4 hours in the saddle... I have long legs (36" inseam) so the footpeg to seat distance is very short and my knees and ankles are at maximum bend when I am am sitting in the "normal" part of the saddle. I typically ride with my butt over the passenger strap. Yes, I look like I stole some kid's bike when I ride, but I love this thing.

My feet never feel quite even on the pegs, and I chalked it up to being a new bike with tiny little pegs, but after today's long ride I realized that the pegs are not even in their positioning. I could really feel it in my knees after a couple hours riding.

Searching the forum here, I found a number of threads that discuss this and say that on some bikes the right peg is 5/8" forward of the left peg. Oddly, my right peg seems to be offset at least 5/8" to the REAR and at a different angle.

I snapped a quick photo to try and show this. I put the orange level on the garage floor for reference, but didn't manage to get it straight. Anyway, you can see the difference in the pegs.

This is a new bike, never been dropped, hasn't even been offroad yet.

Right mount:

Left mount:

I just got home and snapped these shots. I'm going to go back out and measure to make sure I'm not just imagining this, but thought I would ask here. Are footpeg offsets like this typical?

See less See more
#2 ·
I went for my first long ride on the the TW today. About 4 hours in the saddle... I have long legs (36" inseam) so the footpeg to seat distance is very short and my knees and ankles are at maximum bend when I am am sitting in the "normal" part of the saddle. I typically ride with my butt over the passenger strap. Yes, I look like I stole some kid's bike when I ride, but I love this thing.

My feet never feel quite even on the pegs, and I chalked it up to being a new bike with tiny little pegs, but after today's long ride I realized that the pegs are not even in their positioning. I could really feel it in my knees after a couple hours riding.

Searching the forum here, I found a number of threads that discuss this and say that on some bikes the right peg is 5/8" forward of the left peg. Oddly, my right peg seems to be offset at least 5/8" to the REAR and at a different angle.

I snapped a quick photo to try and show this. I put the orange level on the garage floor for reference, but didn't manage to get it straight. Anyway, you can see the difference in the pegs.

View attachment 208237

This is a new bike, never been dropped, hasn't even been offroad yet.

Right mount:
View attachment 208238

Left mount:
View attachment 208239

I just got home and snapped these shots. I'm going to go back out and measure to make sure I'm not just imagining this, but thought I would ask here. Are footpeg offsets like this typical?
Unfortunately mine seem to be the same....

#4 ·
I haven't looked into it. I just figure it is what it is..it's a T-dub

#7 ·
Procycle offers some heavy duty peg mounts that are much nicer than OEM, & you can put any peg made for a YZ on when wanted/needed. The kit comes with wider pegs also. Much beefier, & positioned the same fore & aft. I went with FLO Low pegs that are are a 1/2" back, & a 1/2" lower. Worth the price if you are uncomfortable.

#12 ·
Realized that with the sightly wonky right side foot peg the peg sits at a funny angle and sole of my boot was only touching the forward edge of the peg.

If you picture the peg like an elongated horseshoe coming out from the bike looping back around and going back into the bike my foot was resting on just one side of that horseshoe. So it was like I was standing on a knife edge.

Looking more closely at the footpeg assembly it's as if the right side foot peg didn't rotate all the way down and was sitting at a funny angle. So I took it apart and ground down the foot peg so that when it tastes down, it now sits at something closer to the correct position. It now feels like my foot is on an actual foot peg and not some crooked little thing jutting out from the bike at a weird angle!

I think my next purchase will probably be a new set of pegs, maybe the ones from pro cycle that include the brackets. But I have to pace myself! 💰😂

#16 ·
I've got long legs too and I also find a stock TW and little hard on the knees after a couple hours. You might want to think about upgrading the stock spring to a beefier one. I've got one TW that is stock and the other has the Procycle upgrade. The upgraded one is so much more comfortable to ride. You can find it here:

The red spring makes the bike sit up a little taller which is considerably more comfy for me. It also helps to have an aftermarket Seat Concepts seat that adds another inch to the ride height.

With these two farkles I have a hard time wanting to ride my stock TW now. It's just not as comfortable.

-Sam

#17 ·
I've got long legs too and I also find a stock TW and little hard on the knees after a couple hours. You might want to think about upgrading the stock spring to a beefier one. I've got one TW that is stock and the other has the Procycle upgrade. The upgraded one is so much more comfortable to ride. You can find it here:

The red spring makes the bike sit up a little taller which is considerably more comfy for me. It also helps to have an aftermarket Seat Concepts seat that adds another inch to the ride height.

With these two farkles I have a hard time wanting to ride my stock TW now. It's just not as comfortable.

-Sam
I've already order the SeatConcepts tall seat. Just waiting for it to arrive.
I had not thought about the spring upgrade. I'll check it out, thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.