Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
20,467 Posts
It would look good in his garage.

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
That "Jeep" looks like a customized version of one of the Jeep clones made in India. The hood is higher to accommodate a diesel engine. Top Gear UK did a review of it and called it one of the worst cars in the world -- no where near as good as the American version used during WW2.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Read about that Icon a bit more...its amazingly awesome. Nothing like the Indian jeeps. The high hood was characteristic of the original CJ 3B

·
Registered
20,467 Posts
I like what ICON does with Toyota Landcruisers, but the price is up too high for a toy. This is more likely to find its way into my toy box for cost of only one TW. Even comes with a wind up key to replace spare tire.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
I have searched YouTube and Top Gear BBC but the only thing I could find was a short video that I lift this picture from. I think it is a Mahindra or Sallinng Mahindra but I am not sure and I give up but you can clearly see the higher hood of the Indian model.

Indian Jeep.jpg

·
Registered
20,467 Posts
There is something very special about original Jeeps. Small, narrow, light with grab handles at corners so when stuck crew can un-ass and lift jeep out of trouble. Learned to drive one of these when my feet barely reached pedals so I will always have an emotional attachment to them. Modern Rubicon is a totally different experience.

·
Registered
20,467 Posts
I miss the original SUV's , back when they were sporty and utilitarian and capable off-roaders. Good old two lever transfer cases, granny low first gears, interiors you could hose out, stinky hypoid gear oils...ahhh the good old days.
Remember those old 4-speed 350 v-8 Blazers and short bed Chevys? They were sporty and darn utilitarian. Doorless Jeeps you could lean out to see where to put front tires on the Rubicon, fold the windshield down to go under branches, all memories of the past back when american manufactures offered a variety to buyers from simple to luxurious. It seems all blended bastardizations today.
Too bad mainstream buyers have been convinced that they want a faux wanna-be $50 grand mall cruiser with automatic slush box trannies,social media distractions, un-defeatable traction/stability controls and delicate fragile interiors too fancy to load up with muddy sharp edged expedition gear.
Why can't I get an american pick-up with a gas engine and manual transmission anymore?
Toyota you have porked out and gussied up Land Cruisers and Tacomas beyond needs of original target buyers, give me a return to smaller lighter FJ40s, Stouts and Hi-lux lines.
Hopefully new Bronco wont be another poor and disappointing imitation like the FJCruiser or BMW's Mini or Hummer III.
I guess because we Americans have gotten fat, lazy and city-bound with appearances being more important than substance we deserve vehicles that mirror these qualities.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts