TW200 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's a dangerous world out there...as many of you know, I live nearby a 13,000 acre pond called Grand Lake {St Marys}, at one time it was the largest Man-Made Lake in the world...having been hand dug back in the early 1800s as a feeder lake for the Miami-Erie Canal...despite the size..think 10 miles from east to west and 3 1/2 miles north to south...it is not deep, only 5-7 feet in most places, but still takes lives of the foolish every year...Snow Mobile types, drunken boaters, and when it freezes, some people don't realize how quickly the ice shifts and weakens during brief warm spells....

Yesterday it appeared we lost 3 of our guys to the lake...but on second looks, perhaps not, let's hope for the latter...

Searching Grand Lake St. Marys for Bodies - Hometownstations.com-WLIO- Lima, OH News Weather Sports

Be careful out there:(

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Marginally related since this is how I know about the drownings. This is a neat app for your phone. Alerts from law enforcement and local government in your area. You can select what you want. I subscribe to Indiana State Police and the Indiana Department of Natural Resources (they did the search/recovery on the drownings). Several friends also subscribe to the local government texts, road closings, public office closings, utility alerts, accidents, etc.

Nixle | Building Stronger Communities Together

·
Registered
19,422 Posts
We lost a 13 year old this last weekend throughout the ice. Kids can sometimes be revived after an icy immersion, unfortunately not this one. People stood around watching waiting for someone to do something. The lad's playmate fell through with him and attempted rescue to no avail. At least the one youth made it back to shore.
Hover-craft make great rescue platforms if available on site, and good body recovery platforms if stored off site in a warehouse somewhere. Seconds count.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts