TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Millage
2020 make - 2,400 miles
2019 make - 5,200 miles

Price
Asking $3000 total for both; or $2000 sold individually. (MSRP of $4599, each.)

Condition
The bikes are in perfect working condition, broken in properly, and have been treated with exceptional care — thanks in great part to this wonderful community!

These bikes are tanks — they took us through deserts, jungles, and mountains across Mexico all while being nimble and fun for commuting in large cities and small villages. (See FortNine’s review, if you haven't already.)

Mods
15L (4 gal) Clarke fuel tank
Upgraded LED headlight
Adjustable LED auxiliary lights
Removable, waterproof, theft-resistant, pelican top box
3 tool tubes
Hand Guards
Bar Risers
Tachometer
Self-sustainable toolkit (spare tubes, mini air compressor, chain breaker, the works)
Removable soft luggage
Ion battery (in perfect health)
Tough as hell skid plate
Upgraded mirrors
Kick starter (not yet installed)
Dial-a-jet for adjusting jetting in higher altitude on the fly (not yet installed)
Sheepskins for climate control and comfort.
And many more...

See bottom of image list for more mod details.

Title transfer and registration
Both vehicles are currently located in a Mexico free zone: Chetumal, Quintana Roo.
Both vehicles are registered in South Dakota, USA, which means title transfer (along with a new registration) can be completed by mail from a foreign country. (More details here.)

Why we are selling them at such a low price?
Our trip has come to an end. We would rather sell these bikes here than move them back north to the USA border.

Bike1_1.JPG

Pair 2.JPG

Detail Dashboard Bike1.JPG Detail Dashboard Bike2.JPG IMG_7032.jpg
Download all 19 higher resolution photos here. Or, better yet, take a look at the attached PDF to see images alongside descriptions.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Placerlode - better hitch up the trailer and start heading south.

What a great deal.
All you have to do is fly to Chetumal, Q.R. with your camping gear, get a temporary import permit in town (a breeze), and then drive them back up north. All the title work can be done by mail (with South Dakota plates, we're happy to help with this). The top box and two soft saddlebags provide plenty of space and all the tools are cached in the bike.

:)

·
Registered
21,594 Posts
Someone should buy the pair in Chetumal and continue the bikes' journey south as far as their mid-life crisis permits.
Maybe check out some pre-Inca stonework around Tiwanaku before handing off others.

Bet globetrotting Rhodetrip and his wife could push on through the Darian Gap and then on all the way to Argentina. They seem to have several pairs of TWs pre-stashed in various places around the world in preparation for their next adventure.

·
Registered
2004 TW200, Jets 'n Shims, DGV2, Acerbis Guards, ProTaper KX, JNS LED BLK
344 Posts
Reeeeeally nice package deal for the right buyer. Retrieval isn't just a trailer run, skip, jump across the border @ San Diego to Tijuana for margaritas, grab motos & back by sunset, though. Priced accordingly.

Whoever has the time, means & will could turn this into a handing off of the baton on what sounds like an epic journey these TDubs have already made. A next chapter? MX to USA?

I read a story somewhere on here about a man respected by many forum members (GBHSoul), who rode a horse clear across the USA not too very many years back, during the age of the I.C.Engine... because he decided he could.

That's the kind of spirit this situation calls for. Hope someone's up for it - would love to hear all about it!

OP, GLWS!

·
Registered
634 Posts
My goodness what a dealio!! Other than getting ones hands on them, but still! (y)

Reactions: Explorak

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Mark,

Six years and your first post, I hope you are able to make this trip happen.

Brian
Aww .. TWBrian .. always the optimist.

Yup .. six long years stalking. Watch forum members come and go. Some deeply missed.

I actually don't even have a class M license or a passport. I could rush the passport though. Get the license later. I am a school bus driver and have my whole summer off. Not driving any kiddos around for the rest of the year so I could leave right now if I was ready and had that passport. Should have that by the end of May.

Realistically .. probably won't happened.
Optimistically 😏, along side a rider comfortable and experienced enough to make the 3000 mile trip, half of which is in Mexico, I'd jump on it. At the end of trip I would have a nice bike, epic trip, and enough experience to start knocking a lot of miles an the Backcountry Discover routes.

What do you say Brian ... you up for it?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
My goodness what a dealio!! Other than getting ones hands on them, but still! (y)
Speedy I guess you and scooter will be catching a flight to Mexico right
After the gathering .........

·
Registered
634 Posts
Haha!! The thought was considered. :)

·
Registered
'93 XT225!
8 Posts
I'm down for it. Anyone want to split the trip. I'm in the SF Bay Area.
Sounds like a crazy journey for crazy people like all of us! I am new here (Hi!) and I've never been to Mexico before, much less ridden there. But I do have on my resume buying motorcycles from several states out and riding them back three times (I know that's no comparison for a trip from deep down in Mexico). If you'd like to take the journey together I'm down!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
A few folks reached out. In our experience, here is how the process of buying these bikes would look. Although transferring ownership of the motorcycles from within Mexico is doable, it will cost extra time and money. The bikes are parked in a free zone and the price greatly reduced because we have considered such costs and the energy involved for a new owner.

Some expats down here in Mexico are interested, so you'll need to get to step 2) within the week. We know this asks a lot, but we're putting it out there just in case —

1. Fly in to Chetumal, Q.R. There are plenty of hotels and affordable Airbnbs.

2. Pay for the bike and titles. (Cash, bank transfer, paypal, etc.)

3. Apply for South Dakota plates, even if you plan on swapping registration for your home state later, though you wouldn't need to and can travel more easily with the SD plates as everything is done via email and postal mail. You can send the title, bill of sale, and registration form via DHL (~$50). If you plan on registering it in a different state, you need to do the research. We highly recommend using SD plates as it's verified to work, cheap, and flexible.

4. Have the SD office send the new title, plates, and registration to someone you know in the US. Your friend can then forward them via DHL to Mexico (~3 days, ~$50). It will take South Dakota about a month to complete the Title, but you only need your registration and plate to get the temporary import permit (TVIP, or TIP). This process varies, but you'll need to hang out in the Yucatan Peninsula for maybe 1-3 weeks. Check out the nearby pyramids and cenotes while you wait.

5. Drive to the Mexico-Belize border to get your TVIP. This requires a $400 deposit which you get back when you exit the country. This TVIP (and its expiration date) is paired to your visa (FMM) which you get upon arrival at the airport. It will usually be for 180 days.

6. You're a free bird and ready to head north. But make use of your time here — riding in Mexico is like playing in a sandbox, and these bikes are really perfect for the task.

This is a process that makes sense for someone who is dedicated to it. Things are not always smooth or well-structured like in the USA, but things always work out if you have the time. The most important resource for you to have while you're down here is patience and flexibility. You can't be rushing back to the USA on a slow bike. To enjoy the wonderful fruits of this country, we recommend you adopt an attitude that mirrors a TW in first gear.
_

We have experience in this process and are on standby to help, including any advice you may need on your way back up north.

·
Registered
'93 XT225!
8 Posts
3. Apply for South Dakota plates
4. Have the SD office send the new title, plates, and registration to someone you know in the US
5. Drive to the Mexico-Belize border to get your TVIP
Is it possible to obtain a TVIP with just a title signed by the seller and buyer? And do Mexican authorities take the absence of license plates very seriously? When I get a new bike I've always rode them home without plates and that's worked out fine for me but I understand if the situation is different there.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Is it possible to obtain a TVIP with just a title signed by the seller and buyer? And do Mexican authorities take the absence of license plates very seriously? When I get a new bike I've always rode them home without plates and that's worked out fine for me, but I understand if the situation is different there.
You're likely going to get trouble without plates. That being said, in 1.3 years here we've never been asked for our documents. Those bike help with that. Not sure on the TVIP question, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds like a crazy journey for crazy people like all of us! I am new here (Hi!) and I've never been to Mexico before, much less ridden there. But I do have on my resume buying motorcycles from several states out and riding them back three times (I know that's no comparison for a trip from deep down in Mexico). If you'd like to take the journey together I'm down!
Sounds like he has local buyers in MX. You need to fly down this week, sounds like.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
My brother ls living in Mexico. He is in Merida.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts