TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
19,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now which tree did I lean that thing up against? Rifle.jpg
This is an interesting discovery in one of our least frequently visited National Parks. Great Basin National Park has many treasures and is worth a visit.

·
Super Moderator
4,855 Posts
Likely the owner either couldn’t find it again, or lit out of there in a hurry – pretty hard to see it against that tree

Reminds me of the time I put a black and tan bullwhip down in wheat field – took me over an hour before I could find it again, even though I knew it couldn’t be more than 20 yards away – things just “blend in” even though you know what you’re looking for ……

·
Registered
19,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I think Great Basin's Lehman caves has almost every interesting dry cave feature imaginable all in a compact easily arranged intimate tour. Check out the snoterites and bacon formations. I like it as much as Carlsbad, less of the Disneyland like "managed for the masses" feel that taints Carlsbad and so many other over-populated National Parks. Unfortunately most of the roadside art between Baker and the park entrance have been removed citing road safety. This is due to people stopping, enjoying and photographing the art works. It wasn't a problem when only a few cars per hour went by but the park is getting discovered.

Stuff was cute but silly. I for one shall miss Bob and Barb Wire, they were a nice couple. Bob-and-Barb-Wire.jpg

Yes lots of interesting stuff in the Great Basin. GB1.jpeg
Wouldn't you stop your car on a deserted road to glimpse these creations along the right-of-way fence?

gb3.jpeg

gb4.jpeg

gb7.jpg

Hopefully some of these things have been saved somewhere, maybe I'll wander around in downtown metropolitan Baker, population 68 and see what is there.
gb5.jpg

gb10.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
19,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great Basin Park, a.k.a. The Big Quiet, is another of many Nevada places to see gnarled bristlecone pines several thousands of years old. Great Basin bristlecone.jpg
So see the old .44-40 in the visitor's center & tour the adjacent Lehman caves. Great+Basin+National+Park+-+045.jpg
...but certainly take the road up towards Wheeler Peak, get out and hike a bit. Lots of variety between the lowlands and the sub-alpine microclimates. GB12.JPG
gb15.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I know where that old Winchester came from!
Anybody remember the great James Stewart western of 1950, "Winchester 73"?
I would have been 7 years old and I was mightily impressed. I saw it again years later and remember it and "Shane" as the best westerns ever!
I'll see if I can find on Netflix.
Whatever happened to good westerns?

Here's Wiki's report on the movie...just look at who all is in it!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_%2773

·
Registered
604 Posts
Right said Fred. Great Basin is one of many great places to visit in our great state. I'm just a couple hours north of great basin and visit as often as I can. A ride on HWY 50. America's loneliest road brings you to Many of those locations. Great Basin, Lehman Caves, Historic towns like Ely, Eureka, and Austin, and Hickson Petroglyph Rec. Area. Theres an Ichthyosaurus there. Or as the kids call it "ickysore". And up north where I'm at theres the California trail and pony express routes. Great topic Fred.
....And as for the forgotten Winchester, some poor bastard went and left behind the greatest weapon ever smithed by a man. My personal favorite.
... And yes, Winchester '73 and Shane, two of the best westerns ever, but I usually add McClintock if I want a western and a laugh.

·
Registered
19,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The .44-40 lives on in Cowboy Action Shooting to this day. My Great Grandfather's lever action Winchester is in .30-30, that smokeless powder was the wave of the future and has filled many a meat locker with wholesome organic venison. We SouthPaws are a silent discriminated minority who appreciate a semi-ambidextrous gun like the Winchesters. Thus my appreciation for PeaceMakers and other wheel guns with the loading gate on the right side for us left handers. Not many patents were issued for left hand specific firearms. Thanks for modifying the 1855 Rollin White Patent to create a timeless single action design that just happens to favor us Lefties nicely.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Right said Fred. Great Basin is one of many great places to visit in our great state. I'm just a couple hours north of great basin and visit as often as I can. A ride on HWY 50. America's loneliest road brings you to Many of those locations. Great Basin, Lehman Caves, Historic towns like Ely, Eureka, and Austin, and Hickson Petroglyph Rec. Area. Theres an Ichthyosaurus there. Or as the kids call it "ickysore". And up north where I'm at theres the California trail and pony express routes. Great topic Fred.
....And as for the forgotten Winchester, some poor bastard went and left behind the greatest weapon ever smithed by a man. My personal favorite.
... And yes, Winchester '73 and Shane, two of the best westerns ever, but I usually add McClintock if I want a western and a laugh.
i'm not sure that highway 21, south/east of Baker shouldn't be called the loneliest highway in America. when we travelled on it last year, there where more sleeping cows in the ditch than there where cars on the road. when it came time for a nature break, there was no need to find a place to pull over, we just stopped in the middle of the road 492.JPG

·
Registered
604 Posts
i'm not sure that highway 21, south/east of Baker shouldn't be called the loneliest highway in America. when we travelled on it last year, there where more sleeping cows in the ditch than there where cars on the road. when it came time for a nature break, there was no need to find a place to pull over, we just stopped in the middle of the road View attachment 183260
Yep. You can do that in 80% of the state. Sure is nice when you have it all to yourself it seems.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Greg, if you're heading down 93. Stop in Wells, NV and take a ride up to Angel Lake. It's only about a 15-20 mile ride but its a nice one. Paved, but a shoulder hugger. Especially near the top of the mountain where it switcbacks a few times.
Further down the Hwy from Wells, There's Ruby Valley/Ruby Lake, the Great Basin Brewing Co., and Spruce Mtn. If you have the time they're all good stops. Then of course Ely, and on up to Baker.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Hey grewen, might I ask what type of carrier are you using in the front of your truck?
here are some pics of the rack. i welded 1" flat bar across the top as i didn't like the way the rack bent when the bike was loaded. then i extended the ramp for easier loading. i placed some chain from either side of the rack to the truck's tow hooks and they take most of the weight. 3 of my tie downs are attached to the truck bumper and that takes all the movement out of the bike, it is rock solid 32.JPG 33.jpg 34.JPG 35.JPG

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Greg, if you're heading down 93. Stop in Wells, NV and take a ride up to Angel Lake. It's only about a 15-20 mile ride but its a nice one. Paved, but a shoulder hugger. Especially near the top of the mountain where it switcbacks a few times.
Further down the Hwy from Wells, There's Ruby Valley/Ruby Lake, the Great Basin Brewing Co., and Spruce Mtn. If you have the time they're all good stops. Then of course Ely, and on up to Baker.
i'll make a note for the trip back home. afraid Wells is just a fuel stop on the way down. is the campground at Angel lake big enough for a travel trailer? google maps makes ruby lake look like there is no water left in it, is it dry?

·
Registered
604 Posts
The campground at Angel Lake is big enough for a travel trailer. Water hookups but no power or waste dump, but there is a dump at the beginning of the road in Wells. Ruby Lake is actually a series of lakes connected by small canals cut into the grassland. There is more water in it now than has been in years due to the past 2 decent winters. We actually call it the marshes. They just stocked it with 10,000 bass. There is a campground and convenience store on the north end and a few camp areas the futher south. About Halfway down is a little town called Shantytown. Its basically where everyone from Elko has their summer cabins. Neat place and tons and tons of riding. In a couple weeks when I go moto camping , Im doing a loop around the Rubies which takes me through there.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
i think we may try Angel lake, i've looked at it before on the map. no power is ok with us, where is the sani dump in town? Ruby lake sounds good but we don't like too many people and it sounds busy

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Back to the Winchester, Who can say why or how it was left behind and I have to wonder like others if the owner's remains could also be somewhere in that vicinity. Funny story with a great ending here. My best friend of well over 50 years is my hunting buddy. For his birthday in September one year I bought him a real nice Browning folding knife with a sharp blade, gut hook blade and saw blade for cutting bone. On the very last day of our season he shot his buck and used the knife but left it because it was lost under the snow. He did not realize it was lost for a few months and by that time we had feet of snow. The following year we went back to where he thought he lost it and did not find it. A few years later he was back in the same stand and shot another buck on opening day and in just about the same spot. I went to help him drag the deer and about 5 feet from where he gutted the deer I found his lost knife. It was rusted pretty bad but could have been cleaned up. He didn't want to bother with it so just for fun I sent the knife back to Browning with the story of it's sad life. Browning sent me back a brand new exact same knife for free with a nice note. That year I gave the new knife to my buddy as another birthday present and told him to tie a orange string on it which he did and he still uses it to this day. I have had that exact same knife for over 40 years and gutted every deer I killed with it so they are cherished heirlooms and will be handed down to family members when we give up the hunting. Too bad the kids won't want our trusted Winchester 94s because 30-30s and my 32 Spl. are no longer desirable with all the newer calibers today. Neither of our original hunting rifles are collector quality and both are well used but still good shooters. Back in the early 1960s they were the deer guns to have around these mountains.

GaryL

·
Registered
19,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My fancy guaranteed Gerber slipped out and fell down an outhouse hole at a old mine camp in the Sawtooths. I wrote Gerber about their lost knife replacement policy.
No joy. Guess they thought that since I knew where it went it wasn't lost so I could simply go get it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts