TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing some fork oil adjustments today and wondering if the fork boots get in the way and don't allow the fork to fully compress? Anyone know if they need to come off to accurately check oil height?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
What type of adjustments are you going to perform. Adding oil?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah adding oil. When I checked my oil level before it was with the boots on and the height was 135 stock. Sounds about right, just got to wondering though if the forks boots may have messed up my measurements.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
If the forks are set in the clamps with the top of the tubes flush with the top of the clamp, your OK. If you have the forks slid up above the clamps, as you would to lower the front end, the boots would probably interfere with full compression, IMO.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
isn't it kinda hard to get the forks vertical if they are still in the tree? are you pulling the springs to measure the oil?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
isn't it kinda hard to get the forks vertical if they are still in the tree? are you pulling the springs to measure the oil?
Yeah I'm actually going to try a pair of procycle .60 kg springs without doing emulators just to see how they feel and how the front end feel changes. I plan on doing emulators, but that's going to be at a later time. Last time I put the tw on a stand and my brother helped me lean the bike forward so the forks were level in the tree when compressed. I was just curious about the boot since it was bunched up really tight last time I added a little oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
Why trouble with getting the forks vertical? I doubt that anyone else has gone to that extent. Just measure the level in the same place when adjusting, either towards the front of the fork or towards the back side. The boots won't interfere, just remove the wheel and spacers and springs, then you can feel them bottom out metal to metal. Use a strap to hold each side tight while measuring. 135 might be a little on the soft side for a 200 pounder.....I use 130.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Why trouble with getting the forks vertical? I doubt that anyone else has gone to that extent. Just measure the level in the same place when adjusting, either towards the front of the fork or towards the back side. The boots won't interfere, just remove the wheel and spacers and springs, then you can feel them bottom out metal to metal. Use a strap to hold each side tight while measuring. 135 might be a little on the soft side for a 200 pounder.....I use 130.
well how can you tell if you have the oil set at 130 or 120 if the fork tube isn't vertical?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ended up confirming the forks do bottom out metal to metal with fork boots on. I just put the tw a stand and was able completely level the forks with a friend compressing the forks. I was at 127mm before and kept the same 127mm again. I installed .60 procycle springs and really like the feel. No more nose diving when leaning hard in turns on the street and the bike feels more planted off road. It feels so good that I'm really debating if I need emulators now. I weigh 221 as if this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
well how can you tell if you have the oil set at 130 or 120 if the fork tube isn't vertical?
Review second sentence. The difference between front and rear side check of oil level with bike level on a stand is about 2 mm. Or if you are really picky, just look in there and measure from the middle of the oil.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts