TW200 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this has been discussed before. One of my fork seals was leaking so I wanted to see if I could clear a piece of debris rather than taking it apart. Many people make the hook tool out of a plastic soda bottle and I have used 35mm film negatives for this job. This time I tried both. The film negative is thinner and I cut it so the cutout squares on the negative work to strip whatever debris is causing the leak. The soda bottle tool is easy to make and in my opinion worked much better. The soda bottle already has the curve to contour the fork and there is no need to bend it into shape as is needed with the film. The soda bottle is slightly thicker so it is a little more difficult to get it between the fork and the seal but once it is in it is much easier to work with. It turned out to be debris and it no longer leaks but from here on I will stick with the soda bottle tool.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks for the soda bottle tip. It's hard to find 35mm film negative these days.

If your fork seals still leak after sweeping for debris, I've had some success resurfacing the seals.

Take an aluminum soda can and cut off the top and bottom to make one flat piece of metal. Using superglue, glue a piece of 800 grit sandpaper to the metal. Cut and trim to size and use that for sweeping down under the seals. Grit side TOWARDS to rubber seal. This will burnish the seal a little and may require some riding to get them to seal again, so give it a little time.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow..... That's a great idea.

Thanks for the soda bottle tip. It's hard to find 35mm film negative these days.

If your fork seals still leak after sweeping for debris, I've had some success resurfacing the seals.

Take an aluminum soda can and cut off the top and bottom to make one flat piece of metal. Using superglue, glue a piece of 800 grit sandpaper to the metal. Cut and trim to size and use that for sweeping down under the seals. Grit side TOWARDS to rubber seal. This will burnish the seal a little and may require some riding to get them to seal again, so give it a little time.

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
All good idea's.

Ebbanflood, down at Moab I used (cut) an autozone rewards card to make the hook. It worked too, but I like the soda bottle idea better with the natural curve you mentioned.

Good tips guys!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts