TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
while this forum is pretty small and it's no big deal to read a lot of different ones, we have been provided with many sensible forum topics to choose from. why not think about them for a second before posting?

OFFICIAL DISCLAIMER: I'M NOT TRYING TO START ANYTHING WITH ANY PARTICULAR INDIVIDUALS AND THE EXAMPLES I USE ARE JUST RANDOM OBSERVATIONS!!

chain/sprocket q's, wiring issues, etc- 'TECHNICAL help', not 'general discussion'. jimbo shields, aftermarket pegs, gun scabbards, etc- 'performance and CUSTOMIZATION'. Pics of the kids- well, 'general discussion' i suppose. but not in the middle of 'photo contest 6' :). ride reports/trail photos would seem to go in 'trails, offroad, and adventure riding'.....

it just seems to me it makes the site more professional, and more importantly, for me at least, makes it easier to review and find our favorite or most useful posts!

take this for what it's worth to you- a useful reminder or perhaps just a load of.....

END OF NON PERSONAL, UNSOLICITED, AND PERHAPS COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

have a great day, and thanks to all who make this such a fun and interesting place!

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
while this forum is pretty small and it's no big deal to read a lot of different ones, we have been provided with many sensible forum topics to choose from. why not think about them for a second before posting?

OFFICIAL DISCLAIMER: I'M NOT TRYING TO START ANYTHING WITH ANY PARTICULAR INDIVIDUALS AND THE EXAMPLES I USE ARE JUST RANDOM OBSERVATIONS!!

chain/sprocket q's, wiring issues, etc- 'TECHNICAL help', not 'general discussion'. jimbo shields, aftermarket pegs, gun scabbards, etc- 'performance and CUSTOMIZATION'. Pics of the kids- well, 'general discussion' i suppose. but not in the middle of 'photo contest 6' :). ride reports/trail photos would seem to go in 'trails, offroad, and adventure riding'.....

it just seems to me it makes the site more professional, and more importantly, for me at least, makes it easier to review and find our favorite or most useful posts!

take this for what it's worth to you- a useful reminder or perhaps just a load of.....

END OF NON PERSONAL, UNSOLICITED, AND PERHAPS COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

have a great day, and thanks to all who make this such a fun and interesting place!

From the looks of your photo, There is no porta potty at that campground.

Phelonius

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Was that picture was taken at the Crazy Horse campground in Daytona Beach? It sure looked like that when I was there.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Whooo... I can almost smell that pic.

·
Registered
176 Posts
No "maybe" about it. And since this thread is a personal complaint which has nothing to do with TW200s, I would think that it would fall under the "/Other Forums/Off-Topic and Other Bikes" topic. Not the "TW200 Forums/General Discussion" which it's in now. Therefore, it's in the wrong section too. Try and be a little more professional yourself before throwing rocks at others for being "unprofessional".

Seriously though, are you honestly making a public outcry because someone posted something somewhere you wouldn't of posted it?

BTW. I like your pic of the bullshit everywhere. It was the most intelligent part of your post.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Just a thought in line with your pic... If you choose to ride into a field of sh--, there's a good chance you're gonna get some of it on you.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a thought in line with your pic... If you choose to ride into a field of sh--, there's a good chance you're gonna get some of it on you.

Very clever! :)

i thought my disclaimers would discourage any freakouts and explained the (non-personal attack) spirit my post was intended in, but that's ok. it's just an online forum.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No "maybe" about it. And since this thread is a personal complaint which has nothing to do with TW200s, I would think that it would fall under the "/Other Forums/Off-Topic and Other Bikes" topic. Not the "TW200 Forums/General Discussion" which it's in now. Therefore, it's in the wrong section too. Try and be a little more professional yourself before throwing rocks at others for being "unprofessional".

Seriously though, are you honestly making a public outcry because someone posted something somewhere you wouldn't of posted it?

BTW. I like your pic of the bullshit everywhere. It was the most intelligent part of your post.

actually, my post pertained to the tw200 forum community- which has a lot to do with tw200s. you may disagree with where i posted it, but i did at least THINK about where i posted. nowhere in my post did i call any tw200 forum members 'unprofessional'! i merely stated that having threads posted sensibly in the provided topics made THE SITE appear more professional as well as making it more useful.

"public outcry"? seriously? well, if you're going to reach as much of the public as possible i figure the tw200 discussion forum is the place to do it.

i'm glad you liked the (TW200) pic. i'd address my lack of intelligence but i don't have much time and still have to post a photo of my dog in a carb jetting thread.....

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Surly, think we got your message, and in my opinion, it has merit. Much of the aftermath is 'understandable' knee-jerk. I have been here awhile and sometimes find myself frustrated/annoyed by the way folks sometimes post stuff. I suspect much of it has to do with the planet we live on.

As an example; I have had a 'kind-of' bad day at the company that I have worked with for the last twenty years. Upon arriving home, I have felt compelled to drink 4 beers. This post is a result and likely won't meet the standards of some.

I think your statement was 'fair'. The response (fair as well) indicates how delicate the system is.

Let the "Young folks" know, there are lots of people on the planet, and most think 'they are right'. As ackward as it often is, we need to meet on some 'middle ground', "in my opinion" Gerry

·
Registered
13,915 Posts
Normally I refrain from making a comment when there "is", or "could be" and issue. I understand that it its hard to convey a message in a written format without the possibility of it being taken wrong, or harsher than intended.

However, well said Gerry. The voice of moderation, and I mean that as a compliment with the up-most respect for your long-time forum membership. You've probably seen it all (good, bad, and ugly).

·
Registered
144 Posts
I think that the titles of Forum sections create some of the confusion (and no, I'm not trying to flame the creator of this great forum).

In my mind Performance and Customization brings to mind something like a Hot Rod magazine: souping up the engine, fancy paint jobs, perhaps extended swing arms / larger gas tanks / ultra-wide tires. Even then, we run into some problems because there is some crossover with the Technical Help section if you think of whether the definition of performance relates to only making the bike go faster, or whether a gummy carb / sprocket ratio should also be included.

Trails, Off-road, and Adventure Riding opens up another can of worms: my initial mental impression calls to mind ride reports, but what about the equipment / modifications that we make as part of that experience? Recently there was a discussion there titled " I'm tired of big maps" which related to copying forest service maps for use while exploring the backroads and trails. I added to that post concerning a BarPack I use which has a HUGE fold-out map window to hold the map. The thought did cross my mind at the time that my BarPack is an accessory, and not appropriate / wouldn't be read by many because it was in a section which (to me) dealt with ride reports. In other words, the title Trails, Off-Road, and Adventure riding could reasonably be open to the interpretation that ANYTHING relating to off-roading/trails/adventure riding should be put there: camping gear, knobby tires, wider foot pegs, larger sprockets, riding techniques, etc....... ---- you get the idea.

I seldom remember to even look at the Off Topic forum, just because it does not show up on the screen with the five subtopic forums we are discussing. Perhaps it should be with the others so it is not so easily missed?(edit: nevermind, I was too stupid to figure out I was linked to the wrong page and only showing the five sub-forums).

If you visit the BMW club forum (http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/ ) you will see that they have a 'camp fire' section similar to our off-topic, a section titled Ride Reports, and a section titled Gear (Bike equipment, rider wear, camping gear, etc...), and many other sections/subforums which further narrow the scope of the topic. Each subforum then starts with a sticky defining the subforum's purpose. An example is the subforum Off the Beaten Path and its introductory sticky:

Welcome to "Off the Beaten Path".
Welcome to "Off the Beaten Path", a forum section devoted to those who choose to travel and stay in the more remote places. From off road riding techniques to great dirt and gravel roads to advice on camping, this is your forum. Off the Beaten Path is not specifically for GS series bikes, but an area for adventurous BMW riders of all sorts and on any model who enjoy the challenge of the road less traveled.

Perhaps the TW200 Forum's creator, moderators, and members could get together to refine the TW200 site to make it easier to post and locate topics we are interested in?

Corey

·
Registered
176 Posts
actually, my post pertained to the tw200 forum community- which has a lot to do with tw200s. you may disagree with where i posted it, but i did at least THINK about where i posted. nowhere in my post did i call any tw200 forum members 'unprofessional'! i merely stated that having threads posted sensibly in the provided topics made THE SITE appear more professional as well as making it more useful.

"public outcry"? seriously? well, if you're going to reach as much of the public as possible i figure the tw200 discussion forum is the place to do it.

i'm glad you liked the (TW200) pic. i'd address my lack of intelligence but i don't have much time and still have to post a photo of my dog in a carb jetting thread.....

You know. You didn't name any names. But what you did was cite a few generic cases of ongoing obvious peg misplacement with sprockets, tech, etc. Then you all but named me when you listed what was done and exactly what thread it was done in. Now to me, the others fit your description of non-personal observations because there are numerous accounts of that happening from lots of individuals. So no one in particular really stood out. But any retard who looked in "photo contest #6" and found the only person in there that had posted pics of their children could figure out it was ME. Which, by the way, brings me to my next thought.

You said, "people should think about what they post before they post it". So allow me to let you in on my thoughts, which I actually had, on why I posted the pictures in the photo contest #6 thread without actually making a submission for the contest.

First of all, as we all know, this is a pretty tight nit group of people that make up a very small segment of the motorcycle community. Consequently, there isn't a HUGE population here that do much more than "lurk". Hence, the reason for ONLY ONE SUBMISSION FOR THE CONTEST AS OF TODAY. In the interest of generating some interest in the thread, I posted up some pics (people like pictures
) to hopefully keep the ball rolling. Which, just so happened to be the same thing that Truelight did. I thought he had a good idea.

Secondly, I went riding that day with my youngest daughter. It was a beautiful day and traffic was light. Perfect for a spin. I took a few pics and wished to post them but didn't think the couple I took were worthy of a whole new thread and ride report. No big deal. I figured they wouldn't win anyway, but I'll post them in the photo contest since no one after almost three days had posted anything in there. And since I actually do think before posting, I went over the rules again before hitting the submit button. I saw that my pictures qualified for everything but "the owner and bike in the same pic". Sorry, but I had no one to shoot pictures of me while I posed in front of the bike. Oh well.
So instead of deleting the whole post, I added the "no submission" statement and let it fly.

I promise. I won't let it happen again.

As for changing up the forum to minimize chances for misplaced pegs and appease one person, I guess being more specific might reduce it some. But I'm not so sure that it would be a good thing. It eventually would dictate more individual threads with the possibility of pushing valuable threads "out of the limelight" so to say. If you frequent some of the more populous forums, you know what I mean. Ultimately, it's the forum owner's choice to make that decision. And so far,I can honestly say I've been happy with his choices.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
jim- "on the old forum someone new tried to make changes also. it wasn't accepted well." sounds like a line from a 'b' suspense film- "yep, found his body in the swamp...." :) seriously though, i was on the old forum as well, and i wasn't asking for any changes to this forum in my post, as a matter of fact i mentioned we had "many sensible forum topics to choose from."

gerry- any 4 beer internet post that doesn't contain monosyllabic insults is OK in my book!

corey- personally i'm quite happy with the topics and as a matter of fact since your case idea was so well received i think i will go back and change my map thread title (if i can) to be more descriptive and less 'conversational' in the interest of 'practicing what i preach' about us, the users, helping to make this forum more useful.

xzyfsk- unless you're watching world cup soccer.....

owtcast- i think you're just the guy to start a kids photo thread or something- then we can all easily find and enjoy another connection most of us share :) i too think it would be silly to change the forum to "appease one person". again, i wasn't asking for the forum to be changed. i'm thinking of the forum like a workshop- if we just pile everything on the workbench then pretty soon things get hard to find and sure enough, the good stuff dissappears...

have a great remainder of the weekend, may this thread 'rust in peace', and in the immortal words of forrest gump, "that's all i have to say about that."

1 - 19 of 19 Posts