TW200 Forum banner

141 - 156 of 156 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,309 Posts
I think that Google maps used to be “open source”, meaning that anyone could use it in any form – Wikimapia being a case in point. About a year ago, Google clamped down, so now we see the “For development purposes only” splattered over everything. I suspect that there would now be a cost attached if we were to restore it ……

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Here's what Admin says:

Hello there,

Although the error says "This page can't load Google Maps correctly"
I'm still able to pinpoint user's location.
I am also able to add a pinpoint within the map.
Are you able to replicate this?

Ed

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
I was unable to update my location though.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Here's what Admin says:

Hello there,

Although the error says "This page can't load Google Maps correctly"
I'm still able to pinpoint user's location.
I am also able to add a pinpoint within the map.
Are you able to replicate this?

Ed

Purple and LT are both correct. I am able to use the map successfully and properly, but with a "Development Purposes Only" watermark across the map after the initial error message is ignored. However, I am not sure if the map is being updated with any new data as the API for Google Maps remains free for personal use, the API for commercial use (such as this site) is a paid option that requires simple billing info to be entered and new API key applied. That is where we are. Technically the site is in violation of the Google EULA/AUP. Just FYI. If we want to utilize it, it needs to be paid for. If not, it's really up to Vertical Scope whether they want to leave up as is. Hope this helps.

Supporting documentation here --> https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/javascript/error-messages?utm_source=maps_js&utm_medium=degraded&utm_campaign=keyless#api-key-and-billing-errors

·
Super Moderator
5,309 Posts
You have to find the orange "pin" - often either offshore or in the middle of the back of beyond - then drag it to your location

The input data seems to hold .....

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Did my bit. I plan to keep riding until I am 6’ under, just like my father did. Been riding for 60 years at this point. More road to roll down awaits.
62 years & counting at this point, as of 6-16-19.
See avatar pic top-left...6-16-57.

Free at last, free at last, grate-gaw-toe-mighdy, I was free at last!
The world was brand new, it was all mine and it had motorcycles in it!
Now I could go find those places my Dad said stay away from, and those girls my Mom warned me about.
They were both right!

Maybe I'll see you on the road sometime...

·
Registered
62 Posts
New member. I enjoyed the survey. (done)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Just found this & submitted mine. Interesting to see the info.

Found it odd that 912 chose "Other" in what location they were from. :unsure:

141 - 156 of 156 Posts