·
Registered
7,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
hey tony,
i've wanted to go and check it out, let me know when you're thinking of going. i have some days off around new years.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Hey guys,

I have never ridden at Frank Raines OHV Park, but one of my favorite, twisty country rides is to take Mines Road out of Livermore to the Junction (a small rural cafe that serves as a general store/gathering place for the locals and a stopping point for bicyclists and motorcyclists on weekends), and then down Del Puerto Canyon Road to Patterson. This goes right by Frank Raines Park.

It doesn't look like much from the road and I've never seen more than a handful of vehicles in the parking lot whenever I've ridden by. If you like Carnegie OHV (I don't - steep, rocky, rutted trails) you'll probably like Frank Raines. However, looking at the trail map, once you get up over the initial hills that you can see from the road, it appears to have quite a network of less challenging(?) trails.

Mines road is a spectacular ride as I am sure the road up and over Mount Hamilton is also. Once you get onto Del Puerto, the terrain changes and it feels like you are in a completely different world (planet?). The condition of this road is pretty bad in some spots but it is still a fun ride. Be aware that the only gas available out there will be in Patterson.

If you guys decide to take a ride out that way, let me know and maybe we could meet up at the Junction and then head over to Frank Raines Park.

Brian

http://thejunctionbarandgrill.com/

·
Registered
7,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just heard from Darrell and he is in. That makes 4 of us so far. All we need is a date we can all agree on and decent weather. I know Friday is easiest for Darrell but he might be able to work something else out if necessary, like a Thursday. Any day is pretty much fine with me. Why don't you guys post what days you have off and we can cross reference and take it from there.

So, the more the merrier! All are welcome.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'll go! I've passed by it a number of times and wondered what it would be like. Most of the time it looks empty or even closed.

Pick a day Tony, and by any chance is T2 available? (T2 is the name of Tony's so called TW "Parts Bike" that he lets me use.) Or I can just bring my DR (oh yuk) to the TW party.

A Friday is easier for me to get off of work than the other days, but a weekend also works.

So I count 4 already!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Depending on the date, I'm in.-Josh

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
so I'm assuming that all of you are riding your bikes there? I've heard of that OHV park but never been there. I could bring my bike over in truck but that is just too far to ride mine there.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
so I'm assuming that all of you are riding your bikes there? I've heard of that OHV park but never been there. I could bring my bike over in truck but that is just too far to ride mine there.
Mike,

You're welcome to drive to my place and we can ride from there if you would like. I believe that it is about 45 miles from my house to the Junction and then another 15 or 20 to Frank Raines Park. We would be taking Mines Road which really is a great ride (assuming that there aren't too many sportbikes blasting by us!).

This invitation is also open to anyone else who might be interested in trucking their bike in for this ride.

Brian

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Thanks Brian! I'm in if the date works for me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I lived in Livermore for years until I moved to Reno last year. I have been to Frank Raines a handful of times. In fact, I went out there in my brother in-law's a Hummer H2 and promtly broke a tie-rod. Let's just say it was fun being stranded out there for 6-hours until a tow truck arrived. :D The hills will be a bit steep for T-dubs but there are some good areas to ride.

Mines road is also a great ride. It does turn into a single lane for both directions of traffic, so be aware (i can't remember if this is further down Mines road than the turn for Frank Raines). Also there are some fast driving vehicles and steep grades on Mines.

Happy Riding :)

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
i'd prefer a saturday, but i suppose i could play hooky for a day of riding....

·
Registered
7,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A couple of people have suggested a Saturday would be the way to go and it really doesn't matter to me so..........

Who is in favor of Nov. 16 and who wants Nov. 23? I don't think the Sat. of Thanksgiving weekend, Nov. 30, is a good idea but if everyone wants it I am game.

If these don't work we'll have to go into December and that means it will be colder.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
i think the 23rd works for me.

for those coming from san jose, i live just off of quimby (the shorter way up to mt hamilton rd) and we could meet here or at a nearby coffee/donut stop.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
When a date has been selected I will let you know if I will be able to ride. I had been hoping for a ride in "Your Neighborhood". I will be out of state for awhile this month so that my keep me out. We will see.

Joe

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Hey Scutler. I posted a separate thread on riding Bull ranch creek this weekend which is at Ca/Nevada border near Reno. Have you ridden that area or interested in riding there sunday? (and 23rd for frank raines ride works for me)

·
Registered
108 Posts
OK I'm in for Saturday the 23rd!

I don't think we need be worried about the Kamikaze sport bike riders on Mines Road. It is not like Skyline or HW9 where those riders are plentiful. Mines and Del Puerto are a bit to bumpy for sport bikes and cruisers to be going too awful fast. But the Dual Sport bikes soak up the road imperfections like they were nothing.

It will be a nice ride just getting to FR Park.

And if gas really becomes a concern, it is a short ride (about 10 miles) from FR park into Patterson where there are a couple of gas stations and a Carl's Jr.

·
Registered
108 Posts
OK I stand corrected.....it is a short 17 mile ride to the gas station!

·
Registered
7,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
OK, lets make it Sat. Nov. 23.

This is for the San Jose Chapter but all are welcomed. The guys meeting in Pleasanton will have to work it out.

We can meet at the donut shop Joeband suggested. I think we should meet about 9 and plan on leaving at 9:30. The two groups can meet up at the OHV park.

Joe, tells use where the donut shop is.

According to Google Maps, from Quimby area to Frank Raines it is 43 miles and takes 1 1/2 hours. Round trip is 86 miles. My small tank's range is about 110 miles. That leaves 24 miles to play around at FR. That is a little close for me. I am bringing an extra gallon of gas.

Another option is to go into Patterson for gas but that is about 17 miles away and 17 miles back on the same road. It is a good road and an interesting area to ride through but plan on an additional 45 to 60 minutes of riding. If Frank Raines is a bust then Patterson is a good option. If FR is great and we are having fun then maybe the ride to Patterson would be not so good. I am open for opinions and what others want to do.

You big tank guys will have no problem. Maybe we can siphon from your tanks.........

A Google Maps view of FR.

Google Maps map.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Quimby,+San+Jose,+CA&daddr=Frank+Raines+OHV+Park,+Del+Puerto+Canyon+Road,+Patterson,+CA&hl=en&ll=37.360334,-121.525955&spn=0.215033,0.593262&sll=37.358151,-121.626892&sspn=0.228138,0.593262&geocode=Fe6hOQIdTcu9-CmNFd4sGC2OgDGM-l35xu1toA;FY4GOwIdp-DD-CG9JkrIQGKdbCnPRT8wQ8yRgDG9JkrIQGKdbA&oq=Frank+Rain&t=h&mra=ls&z=11

·
Registered
84 Posts
Count me in. Its one of the only remaining weekends of the year that works for me and I just happen to live 2 miles from the start point :)

1 - 20 of 75 Posts