TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20,197 Posts
Always concerned you would be called into similar risky situations to shut one of these down.
Was waiting at an intersection once when a backhoe cut a gas main and suddenly dirt got thrown 30+ feet in the air from escaping gas plume. I extinguished all smoking material and beat feet out of there before anything could spark a conflagration. to heck with the red light.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Not sure what title means,

But between the two participants of the conversation and the narrator of the video,

It may be the most informative thing I've seen today...

Well, maybe a few days

·
Banned
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure what title means,

But between the two participants of the conversation and the narrator of the video,

It may be the most informative thing I've seen today...

Well, maybe a few days
I just retired from Southwest gas this month after 32 years of working on this type of emergencies. I can smell the video.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Responded to these also, Reddog, for 25 yrs. Never had one light off, though. We used to just jump in the hole and try to squeeze it off. No special gear like nomex or oxygen back then. Had to drag a coworker out of the hole once who passed out from lack of oxygen, then back in the hole I went and finally got it shut at the tee. I did have a house ignite on me one time, though. A guy hooked a 3/4" xtru coat line a didn't call us for quite a while. I was first on the scene. I was standing 3' from the corner of the house when the gas under the house ignited from an oil heater under the house. I made it 3 jumps before a second explosion and the roof blew off. It was dark and glass from the windows flew by me on both sides lit up by the blast like a thousand little meteorites. Luckily no one was hurt. Lots of tense moments over the years.

·
Banned
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Responded to these also, Reddog, for 25 yrs. Never had one light off, though. We used to just jump in the hole and try to squeeze it off. No special gear like nomex or oxygen back then. Had to drag a coworker out of the hole once who passed out from lack of oxygen, then back in the hole I went and finally got it shut at the tee. I did have a house ignite on me one time, though. A guy hooked a 3/4" xtru coat line a didn't call us for quite a while. I was first on the scene. I was standing 3' from the corner of the house when the gas under the house ignited from an oil heater under the house. I made it 3 jumps before a second explosion and the roof blew off. It was dark and glass from the windows flew by me on both sides lit up by the blast like a thousand little meteorites. Luckily no one was hurt. Lots of tense moments over the years.
Working a large city like Phoenix I would have two to six a week and then nothing for a month and when I started I was first on seen and would use a mustang or climax plug, hydraulic squeezer, rose wood plug with no suit on. the old days.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I hope they paid you guys hazardous duty pay for these calls. Very dangerous work. I have the utmost respect for you. I used to do fire extinguisher training for a company representing Ansul extinguishers. Fun to open the nozzle on a 350 lb. wheeled fire extinguisher and flow some dry chemical, you better be leaning into it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts