TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting thing is I was walking my dog right here looking for tracks not too long before these pictures were taken. Cougar new day.jpg Cougar day3.jpg
Spooky in that these top predators see me way more often than I see them. This girl is hopefully just on the prowl for local squirrels and not denning up nearby with the two yearlings.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Interesting thing is I was walking my dog right here looking for tracks not too long before these pictures were taken.
Spooky in that these top predators see me way more often than I see them. This girl is hopefully just on the prowl for local squirrels and not denning up nearby with the two yearlings.
Don't worry Fred, as long as you have plenty of deer around, you and Daisy are probably not at much risk of being on their menu ;).

·
Registered
19,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I like the way momma went uphill, then came back down a hour later with the kids. cougar @ night.jpg cougar x 3 night.jpg
Wonder what she does for Day Care.

I should perhaps not be so cavalier about wildlife hazards. Have lost cats to bobcats and coyotes, had a bobcat inside house, bears trying to climb through screened open window and scratching at glass door. Seen a cougar chase wounded deer right past me. Perhaps I need a smaller pocket slab sided 9mm or 10mm in a skeleton holster or to always slip into a pocket. The loaded S&W .38 is a little heavy and bulky and would likely snag in a pocket if ever needed in a hurry. It ofter gets left behind. Everything else is either too big, scoped, red dotted and long barreled for target and long range use...or .22s loaded with snake shot for my rattlers. Need me a defensive weapon better than just a walking stick.

·
Super Moderator
4,886 Posts
Don't entirely understand how you (Fred) can be so casual about all this. From my understanding of "wild cats", they'll be tempted to jump a pony, but not if they see a rider first (which doesn't always happen) - but bears on the other hand, especially when in your home, makes a good case for claymores

But this does make a good point for leaving pies to cool on a windowsill, rather than indoors

I'm all for "live and let live" - shared planet and all that stuff - but this does put the NRA into perspective .....

·
Registered
19,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Until I saw the photos separated by three days I always assumed the mountain lions with their enormous ranges were infrequent visitors and thus of minor risk to me and mine. But then I am in denial; have found other people's pet cat collars, deer bones abound, and the dogs typically come home with deer legs not just from winter kills due to weather...etc.

My dogs in the past have been proven defenders but I recently lost my best by-my-side buddy Sam to old age. The female ranges wide and defends the big picture but my male would stay at my side during those vulnerable times when I would be bent over working or otherwise distracted and defenseless outdoors.

Used to have a local elderly lion hunter/poacher who likely kept puma populations in check but I haven't seen him or his dogs in a few years. So numbers may be growing for the ghost cats. Either he, or his dogs would show up always from the illegal California side claiming he came from the legal Nevada side. I didn't care. I got to see a couple of his kills, and I helped him one NewYears to track down one of his missing dogs via radio collar. Dog had been caught in a poaching trappers jaw trap for a week during a rare week long blizzard. Dog was at bottom of a five foot deep hole melted in the snow but alive; I would have been dead after the first night. Almost killed me snowshoeing her back out since the no way the old guy could carry her. I didn't think to take a sled since we figured dog was dead and we were just trying to recover an expensive telemetry collar.

I knew the poacher was running a trapline in the area since earlier that fall my foot and the TW200 foot peg got caught in a wire snare while riding one of my trails. That also hurt. Thus I hate jaw traps, deadfalls, snares and poisons since they kill indiscriminately. I still fear an unknown fate should a dog not come back from a walk. It is irresponsible for any trapper to not check their sets frequently.

So maybe I need a new dog, maybe a Rottweiler again. Anyone have puppies?:D

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Cat-nap one of the cubs; and train it to be your "at your side" protector. A guy I used to work with became a Judge in a northern state. I was on a trip and passed through his small town and stopped at the courthouse. When he was on a break; we went into his chambers, where he took out of a cage to bottle feed - a tiny full wolf pup he was going to raise. Don't know how that ended up working out.

·
Registered
19,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A wolf pup? I might be better raising something that when excited makes a mess I can clean up easier...something like this Cuban Gold Finch.

Hint: This is an adsolutely wonderfull video I've been looking for an excuse to post. The man gives tattoos a good name:

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I like the way momma went uphill, then came back down a hour later with the kids. View attachment 163186 View attachment 163194

I should perhaps not be so<script id="gpt-impl-0.7618356509084" src="https://securepubads.g.doubleclick.net/gpt/pubads_impl_185.js"></script> cavalier about wildlife hazards. Have lost cats to bobcats and coyotes, had a bobcat inside house, bears trying to climb through screened open window and scratching at glass door. Seen a cougar chase wounded deer right past me. Perhaps I need a smaller pocket slab sided 9mm or 10mm in a skeleton holster or to always slip into a pocket. The loaded S&W .38 is a little heavy and bulky and would likely snag in a pocket if ever needed in a hurry. It ofter gets left behind. Everything else is either too big, scoped, red dotted and long barreled for target and long range use...or .22s loaded with snake shot for my rattlers. Need me a defensive weapon better than just a walking stick.
Fred, guns are like TW's. Be sure you have enough horsepower when you need it. Going up against a bear, bobcat or cougar with a 22, well, you have to have some brass ones. Pack something that has penetration. Busting a bears skull is not easy.

·
Registered
19,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No worries about me thinking I can take on anything more than a snake with a rimfire Randall. I shoulder holster carried a .41 while working in bear country. That I hand loaded with heaviest flat nose solids I could find but still felt more comfortable with a 12 gauge. Both were way too clumsy to bring to use when encounters tend to happen so quickly. These days I cant really slip the Blackhawk into my pocket to just go for a walk either . Dog is still a better companion when I go to the woodshed at night, much better nose, sight and hearing.
Maybe I should get Randall to teach me how to properly shoot a 1911 well. The .45 APC has the punch but it is waisted if I cant hit anything.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
great pics fred!

your barrel cow's eyes tricked me for a second... could you put another game cam inside of that? reverse angle? ;)

i only saw a mt lion once while a park ranger at alum rock park, but i had spidey senses tingling much more regularly. beautiful animals, much respect for their power and grace.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I'll post a photo of the 150 pound male killed virtually in my neighbors backyard pasture. Its on a different computer. It had killed two longhorn cows (old ones) and he eventually decided to remove it reasoning that while he could afford the two cows, the lion did pose a threat to kids who fished in the nearby irrigation ditch. The lion was tracked by a professional trapper (with dogs) and shot. He claimed that he saw evidence of a female and cubs but the decision was made to leave them alone. We had noticed that porcupines and coyotes had been less abundant around our backyard river forest and probably the cats were the culprits.
Me I wouldn't really worry about being attacked by them, but kids hiking or playing might be at risk. They do have big ranges but obviously are inclined to return to areas where they find food and avoid areas where they do not. They only way they would attack an adult was if he was laying drunk with spam on his breath.

Now wildlife nooses that catch tw foot pegs prompt me to worry big time. If that noose had caught on your foot at about 15 mph, it could have cut your foot off. Find the sucker who made that placement and shoot him in the foot.

·
Registered
19,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fortunately leather work boots and moving at maybe 5 mph minimized the damage from the snare wire across my trail. Maximized my anger at the trapper though. Could have been my dog instead. Trapper was likely after fall bobcat pelts.
Snare had the trapper's registration number ground off since it was set inside California border where any trapping is illegal. However his size 13 bootprints got back tracked a few miles so I had a feeling of where he lived in Nevada. The snare, and several beaver traps with numbers that had been set in the creek were given to Nevada Game an Fish enforcement, California Fish and Game said they had no budget to pursue the case. Never saw those size 13 boot prints again so maybe fellow got the message from Nevada officials; but since he didn't return his abandoned jaw trap caught the hunter's dog months later. Poisons and traps are the gift that keep on giving.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I like the way momma went uphill, then came back down a hour later with the kids. View attachment 163186 View attachment 163194

I should perhaps not be so cavalier about wildlife hazards. Have lost cats to bobcats and coyotes, had a bobcat inside house, bears trying to climb through screened open window and scratching at glass door. Seen a cougar chase wounded deer right past me. Perhaps I need a smaller pocket slab sided 9mm or 10mm in a skeleton holster or to always slip into a pocket. The loaded S&W .38 is a little heavy and bulky and would likely snag in a pocket if ever needed in a hurry. It ofter gets left behind. Everything else is either too big, scoped, red dotted and long barreled for target and long range use...or .22s loaded with snake shot for my rattlers. Need me a defensive weapon better than just a walking stick.
Probably enough old hands at the swell for show and tell !
Dogs defiantly keep critters (good and bad) away. didn't saw a deer on my little 1/2 acre for ten years, until my and neighbors dogs died.
Statistically more likely to get hit by lightning than a cat, but doesn't hurt to ,take care.
Traps and such have no place on public lands in populated country. Let alone poison.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
No worries about me thinking I can take on anything more than a snake with a rimfire Randall. I shoulder holster carried a .41 while working in bear country. That I hand loaded with heaviest flat nose solids I could find but still felt more comfortable with a 12 gauge. Both were way too clumsy to bring to use when encounters tend to happen so quickly. These days I cant really slip the Blackhawk into my pocket to just go for a walk either . Dog is still a better companion when I go to the woodshed at night, much better nose, sight and hearing.
Maybe I should get Randall to teach me how to properly shoot a 1911 well. The .45 APC has the punch but it is waisted if I cant hit anything.[/QUOTE

Will bring mine along too Fred. Last time I fired it was when I came home from Germany headed for VN. April of 1970, time to limber it up lol. Was my dad's at the time and he wanted to see if I could hit anything. As I had a new brother and there were some empty babyfood jars with the tin lid dad set one up. I fired it one time and center punched the lid at about 20yds. He looked at the lid, looked at me, put the pistol back in the holster and didn't say a word, just put it away. I am sure it was pure luck. Will be fun to take it out and put a couple clips through it and see what I can do with it now.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts