TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I have been going back and forth with yamaha Canada. I want to complete a rear shock recall but I don,t want my yamaha dealer to do it for the simple fact that I don,t trust them. They have 3 so called michanics that if you add up all the ages makes fifty. Anyways yamaha Canada finally agreed to let me do the work.. I'm kinda handy and from what I can tell it's pretty straight forward. Is there any helpful hint or anything I should look out for. Is there any other service I should do since I have the shock out. On last check the bushings in the swing arm all look good. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Taking the shock off is pretty straight forward. I take off my rear wheel so its easier to reach the bottom pin and to lighten up the load when you go to reinstall it.

I'd check your bushings and grease your pin.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Nah. We just never raised enough hell to get their attention.

This was done to death on the old forum. More recent U.S. models have the shock with the improved welds, but I'm not sure what year it kicked in.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The reason there is no recall in the US is beacuse There was 174000 tw200 sold in the USA from 87 to present

Canada................... 12

This is not a fact but I bet it's not to far off.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just got this sweet little kit from Yamaha Canada for my 1987 TW200T
, there was something like 500ish 1987 TW's affected by the recall according to the bulletin. Is it possible that the recall was only carried out in Canada due to fears of premature failure due to corrosion from salty road contitions???

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
The recall is not valid in the USA. If you want the newer shock you will have to buy it. Go online and order one for a newer TW. It's gonna set you back $240ish

Or skip a car payment and get this shock off ebay $760.00 :eek:
[h=1]Works QuadStar SRS Rear Shock & Remote Reservoir Yamaha TW200[/h][h=2]Custom built to your rider weight and riding style![/h] $(KGrHqF,!ikE6JiFkc(7BOs,cm2,Z!~~60_35.JPG

914537750_ALUFj-M.jpg
Recalled shock on the left & current version on the right

·
Registered
46 Posts
it's on the recall site of Gouvernement of Canada :D

- Recalls & alerts - Healthy Canadians Website

YAMAHA issued a recall on the TRAILWAY (TW200) model

Starting date:January 1, 2009 Type of communication: Recall Subcategory: Motorcycle Notification type: Safety Industry System: Suspension Units affected:1948Source of recall: Transport CanadaIdentification number:RA-2009066Manufacturer recall number:M09-045

Advisory details

On certain motorcycles, the rear shock absorber lower mounting boss could fail. Should this occur while underway, the shock assembly could detach, allowing the rear suspension to completely sag, possibly resulting in a loss of vehicle control and a crash causing personal injury or death. Correction: Dealers will replace the rear shock assembly with an updated version.Affected products

MakeModelModel year(s) affected
YAMAHATRAILWAY (TW200)1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
i wonder why '93 they suddenly made it good, but forgot again in '94?? ;)

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
i (as have many) spoke with yamaha USA and tried to get them to recognize the recall here.... no surprise: they insisted my '94 shock was a different part and had no connection to the canadian recalled shock. i bought a newer shock from brock, and now don't worry it's going to break.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts