TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Free upgrade Trim the steering stops

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  lbxr 
#1 ·
There is a ton of info on this site, but I have yet to see a topic on adjusting the TW steering stops. (Their not adjustable, gotta grind)
My dirt bikes have threaded adjusters but the TW just has a lug welded to the steering tube. On my bike it was stuck on crooked and I say stuck because I won’t call that a weld. I found that my bike would turn more left than right so I got out the grinder and trimmed the stop.
Before I started the fork was far from the tank but I kept trimming until the fork nearly hits the tank gas tank when cranked over. This makes for a much tighter turning radius and I can tell the difference when I ride my wife’s bike that’s uncut. You won’t notice it riding but will really appreciate it on slow stuff, rocks and u-turns.
Go check your stops, I think Yamaha let’s the noobie weldors learn on the tabs, the rest of the frame just looks like rushed robots.

#3 · (Edited)
How much material are you removing? Pictures please. I could see this being helpful when I’m manually backing my bike up to turn around. My concern is if I would ever experience a tank slapper the stops stock may help to pull out. When I was running the Goldenboy 244 my bike was squirrelly on the highway and I always felt scared it may happen.

#4 ·
Remember in a tank slapper it is not just the bar-to-tank clearance you need to worry about but having clearance for your hands is nice too. I once left some knuckle sized dents in a borrowed Honda Nighthawks tank from my thumbs during a near death moment. Thumbs eventually recovered as did my relationship with NightHawk's pissed off owner. The dents never recovered though:p.

So when testing how much steering stop to shave off you might consider a holistic approach that includes your pinkies.

#6 ·
...How much material are you removing?...
This will vary from bike to bike the amount determined by YOUR existing clearance. I was cheated out of tight rights so I removed a lot more on one side to make it “right”. I used a die grinder and took off a pass and checked it, grind some more, check again.
I took off as much as I could without letting the forks hit the tank, if I had a plastic tank I would remove more and let it hit.
Can’t fathom tank slappers on my TW
Geological phenomenon Rock Geology Fault Formation

#7 ·
...How much material are you removing?...
This will vary from bike to bike the amount determined by YOUR existing clearance. I was cheated out of tight rights so I removed a lot more on one side to make it “right”. I used a die grinder and took off a pass and checked it, grind some more, check again.
I took off as much as I could without letting the forks hit the tank, if I had a plastic tank I would remove more and let it hit.
Can’t fathom tank slappers on my TW
View attachment 153073
I did just that....cut the stops so it contacts the plastic tank at the same time....the bike turns sharper and is much easier to balance at a stop (at full lock). It kinda brings the TW a little bit closer to a trials bike. Sadly, I have never revealed this little trick to my riding buddies who struggle with track stands....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.