TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a phone call Tuesday morning from Mudbugs dad telling us he had 2 hogs in the trap, a 20lb one and a 60lb one. We decide that we are going to get the bigger one for the freezer and smaller one to give to our cousin. After we get over there the 60lb one is more around 130 and the 20lb one is more around 30-35. No big deal, more meat. I shoot the larger one with the 22 and after its taken care of what does Mudbug do? Crawls in the trap with a feed sack and catches this other little mean bastard! After that it made a 30 minute ride in the truck with her holding the thing in a feed sack and every 5 minutes or so this thing is exploding to life with everything it has. Mudbugs setting in the seat holding it like "It's all good, keep driving i got his ass".
Turns out Mudbug is quite the hog skinner as well. Her first time out and she did better than most people Ive ever seen. I've done it a few times in the past and she's already faster than me at it. We did learn this time around to use razor blades rather than sharp knives, they just work so so much better on the hide. After all this Mudbug took the tenderloin and turned it into dinner while the rest is setting on ice. We left the smaller one whole for Easter dinner.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,149 Posts
Boar hide is tough stuff - you can cut through the fat layer with a sharp knife to skin it, but to get the initial hide cut takes a razor and a fair bit of pressure

Give my regards to "The Bug" - she'll be out there on the TW running them down with a lasso given half a chance ..... ;)

·
Super Moderator
17,964 Posts
That Mudbug's some kinda gal!!! :p

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice! We have some hogs up here, never see them in the light. i guess a trap is the way to go!
A trap is the only way to go for me. Some people use dogs but an angry hog thats large enough doesnt have any issue killing or maming one. With the traps, you just bait and wait. The initial cost of a trap and some .22 bullets is likley cheaper than one trip to the vet with a injured dog.

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Boar hide is tough stuff - you can cut through the fat layer with a sharp knife to skin it, but to get the initial hide cut takes a razor and a fair bit of pressure

Give my regards to "The Bug" - she'll be out there on the TW running them down with a lasso given half a chance ..... ;)
Look at these if you hunt big game or just like cool innovative knives:

Havalon Piranta Replaceable Blade Skinning Knives

Pricey but the best.

The blades are basically heavy heavy duty razor blades that are replaceable. Very sturdy and provides lazer cutting ability with a high confidence you're not going to filet your hand. The blades last a long time.
IMG_6021.PNG

·
Registered
369 Posts
talk about one wild ride. that mean little bastard damn near ripped his nose off. he was bouncing off everything. and this big one was a monster. lomax had to pick it up in baby steps. he went from the ground to the bike stand, to the table, to the straps. goodness it was heavy. all in all, a super fun day though!

17880705_400939980291296_5871879838584707119_o.jpg

·
Registered
283 Posts
Freaking awesome!!! Congrats!
Love those havalon knives. Was first introduced to them while hunting hogs, whitetail, axis deer, and black buck down in texas. If im not mistaken you should be able to get those knives to your door with 12 blades for around $30 or maybe even less. I am, sorta was for the near future, a custom knife maker and i love those things. Much easier to reconcile puting your disposable scalpel blade through a muddy hide as opposed to your finely crafted and precisely honed custom blade.
Get some, you wont be disappointed. Just bear in mind they are brittle and wont take much torqueing. Awesome overall though.
Cheers!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd like to see some pics of the trap. No hog problem here but my kin in Arkansas have em. Oh and good job Mudbug!
My everyday tool is an Outdoor Edge folder. Stays sharp, thick blade.
Its my father in laws trap, its about 35 miles from here but next time we are out there I will get one for you

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
trap to plate, little waste... all but the squeal gets used.

i helped trap a couple of pigs when i worked at a local park... vicious them things. i put a 357 into one of the little sucklings and didn't even phase it.
tasty easter pork.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
trap to plate, little waste... all but the squeal gets used.

i helped trap a couple of pigs when i worked at a local park... vicious them things. i put a 357 into one of the little sucklings and didn't even phase it.
tasty easter pork.
I hit one with the trailer one time and broke its back, I shot it in the head from about 6 feet in the head with my 357, About 15 miles later it drug itself off the trailer in the middle of a small town and i had to shoot it again. I guess the first shot just nicked him and knocked him out

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Very good job!! I like the way you "Sacked a Pig" the old fashion way mudbug! :icon_thumright:

It's going to be wild pig "Ham" for Easter dinner with the neighbors for us. Lots of acorns last fall & a fair winter & spring has made some of the best tasting pig I've had yet!

BTW if anyone is into "B" grade movies, this one was filmed in Boonville! DISCLAIMER: Please remember these are actors. Most of the locals are not that good look'n. :eek::rolleyes::p m.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
So under the policy of "Pics or it didn't happen..."
Wild pig ham / leg roast going in at high noon today! (pst)

P1010158.JPG

The aroma of garlic & black pepper are wafting around the house now... If you close your eyes & imaging for a moment (LT :D) you will be drooling!

Another beautiful day in the Boont. FYI for all those who attended or followed the "Pike'n the Boont" ride, it pretty much has not stopped raining here since! We'll get one day of sun to dry out a bit, & then right back to rain. :toothy2: But it's not a bad thing, lots of mud puddles :cool: and a whole lot of rainbows! :eek:ccasion14: Happy Easter everyone, & check back latter, I,ll post another pic of that pig when it's out of the oven! m.

P1010151.JPG

1 - 20 of 32 Posts