TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

From full Custom to Stock opinions!

7K views 52 replies 13 participants last post by  TW-Brian 
#1 ·
Hi all. I posted a couple of weeks ago about joining the group, and how my first TW is a custom being converted to stock. The reason being I couldnt find a stock one here in Australia. You can find newer ones, but a pre 90 which I wanted , I coudnt find. There are two photos.

The before photo is the custom, and the after is the current stage of the project. Note i will be tidying up the bike, painting tank etc, its just in the build stage at present. This work has been done by the builder of the custom and thats how I will receive it. Now Im starting to think about how far I should go here.

Should I go with airbox and full bodywork? Should I go with pod filter, hidden battery tray and leave the open look? Note ill be going full off road not on the street. That includes full knobby tyres. Ive already ordered a short rear fender (japan TW225). Any ideas appreciated, go crazy!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
It is so good to see someone undoing a ridiculous mistake. For off road, get the full stock fender. Get the stock air box. All of the stock parts are designed to keep YOU and the bike safe and reliable. Nothing has really changed since 1987 so you know it is well engineered. The stock plastic will protected components such as wiring and air intake. Keep the pictures coming as you complete this project.

#4 ·
"Nothing has really changed since 1987 so you know it is" one of Yamaha's orphans they have invested absolutely as little as possible on over the years.:rolleyes:

For off-road reliability definitely restoring the fully supported weather resistant OEM airbox is a good idea. Don't want that pod filter to be flopping around on bumps or getting wet & muddy.

#5 ·
Hey, Mr. Roost -
Glad you found your parts...looking forward to seeing the results of your build!
That short rear fender would be perfect for what I'm building, but I'll hold off until I see what yours looks like mounted.
I assume it will it require some cutting, drilling, etc. of the stock TW200 frame?
Thanks!

#6 ·
The bike, she's a project! I will need to strip down completely now that it has finally arrived home. It left a nice pool of oil in delivery van as well. First thing I will do, before I pull it apart will be to install the wiring and get spark happening. The wiring loom is in a box. So is the exhaust and airbox, though they need some attention. Ill be getting some parts powdercoated, and ill strip and repair tank. Ill post some pics as I go. It will take time, cant afford all parts at once! Wife says I paid too much for what I have!

Attachments

#7 ·
I have an issue to solve. I cant fit the stock exhaust as the previous owner has removed the frame brackets (see photos first post). Thats the mid mount and the one at the rear of the bike. I dont want to fit a low pipe, as this bike is for off road use. I dont particularly want to get mounts welded on, as apart from the expense it will never look as good as factory. Is there a short muffler i can add to the header pipe? Any suggestions?

#8 · (Edited)
The Supertrapp is an okay universal option that should clear. If not I'd find someone to bend a piece of pipe to go in between. There's lots of generic slip-ons that should work like that, but some may need a hanger bracket of some sort as well. Maybe off the passenger peg area. If I were you I'd consider fabricating a copy or even finding a frame cheap and cutting the little mount off of it. If the job's done okay I don't think it would be very noticeable if at all.

#9 ·
It needs to be supported. You would be best off going ahead and welding a tab on it for mounting.

Reactions: Fred and Roostfezza
#13 ·
Look for a chrome or stainless hinged P clip. I think that would work and be strong enough.

Reactions: Roostfezza
#15 ·
#20 ·
Wow, your tank has decals?
That seems like a first since mine, like others, do not appear to be an appliqué, sticker, or decal but rather integral with the tank's factory paint.
Kuryakyn sells some metric hinged P-clamps that may match the TW's metric frame tubes which may be a better match than an imperial size.

Reactions: Roostfezza
#21 ·
Yep they were decals. Really hard to remove (why person painted over them i guess). Sanded them off. Unfortunately the muffler and pipe i have is unservicable, so im not sure what to do at the moment. Might use a cheap universal muffler if i can find one to fit.

#22 ·
Update where project is at. A little slow due to funds and its super hot in shed atm (im in QLD Australia). But heres a photo. Front wheel stripped of ugly paint, off road tyre added (a pirelli i had off another bike), tank repaired and primered, along with headlight surround, front guard, shock off to clean up and fit another spring, waiting for brake parts front and rear.. Duro rear 26x8-14 is ordered. Exhaust is at exhaust shop to separate header from muffler as its rusted solid. They will also repair rust holes.

Next step is to finish painting, tidy up shock and repaint, fit rear tyre, and then, the dreaded wiring.

Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Auto part

#24 ·
The Duro arrived today, I can see why some forum members are reluctant to trim the bead. I had an image in my head they would be like a dirt bike's tyre, a bit rough around the edges. But these are smooth with no sharp edges. I'm to take a grinder to this? One thing for sure, i'm taking it to a tyre fitter to at least get the thing on the rim first.

#26 ·
DURO tyre capers. Used a shop to fit tyre. They needed two guys on the machine to push tyre down on to rim, as th
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Rim Auto part
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Auto part Rim
e tyre is 26x8-14, but that was ok. They inflated to 40 psi, stopped there. Bead not on all the way. Stopped as I said that it can take time and repeated inflations. They suggest leaving in sun and using soapy water. So i got it home, let out the air lots of soapy water, and pressure to 40, then 45. A bit better, see second photo. Now leaving overnight. Another hot day tomorrow so Ill leave in sun and repeat inflations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.