TW200 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yep they were decals. Really hard to remove (why person painted over them i guess). Sanded them off. Unfortunately the muffler and pipe i have is unservicable, so im not sure what to do at the moment. Might use a cheap universal muffler if i can find one to fit.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Update where project is at. A little slow due to funds and its super hot in shed atm (im in QLD Australia). But heres a photo. Front wheel stripped of ugly paint, off road tyre added (a pirelli i had off another bike), tank repaired and primered, along with headlight surround, front guard, shock off to clean up and fit another spring, waiting for brake parts front and rear.. Duro rear 26x8-14 is ordered. Exhaust is at exhaust shop to separate header from muffler as its rusted solid. They will also repair rust holes.

Next step is to finish painting, tidy up shock and repaint, fit rear tyre, and then, the dreaded wiring.

20191204_152500_resized_1.jpg

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The Duro arrived today, I can see why some forum members are reluctant to trim the bead. I had an image in my head they would be like a dirt bike's tyre, a bit rough around the edges. But these are smooth with no sharp edges. I'm to take a grinder to this? One thing for sure, i'm taking it to a tyre fitter to at least get the thing on the rim first.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
DURO tyre capers. Used a shop to fit tyre. They needed two guys on the machine to push tyre down on to rim, as th
20191211_210926.jpg
20191211_211644_resized.jpg
e tyre is 26x8-14, but that was ok. They inflated to 40 psi, stopped there. Bead not on all the way. Stopped as I said that it can take time and repeated inflations. They suggest leaving in sun and using soapy water. So i got it home, let out the air lots of soapy water, and pressure to 40, then 45. A bit better, see second photo. Now leaving overnight. Another hot day tomorrow so Ill leave in sun and repeat inflations.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hi Roostfezza Looking good, I tend to agree with Ken, stock rear is more to my liking too. Not to hijack the thread but you doing all-right there with the fires? Looks horrific from what I saw on the news and internet of QLD & NSW.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hi Andre, so far so good. So dry. We are out in the country, and total fire ban here for weeks. It is always dry this time of year, its just there has been no relief, just hot and no rain.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hi Andre, so far so good. So dry. We are out in the country, and total fire ban here for weeks. It is always dry this time of year, its just there has been no relief, just hot and no rain.
I can relate our fire season here now too, we had two big (in our context) fires here the last few years, hence the concern.
I follow Australia 4wd action on you tube and would love to go explore Aus a bit, Coffs, Fraser Island and the Northern Territory looks like it would be great to try.

You got the tyre seated properly yet?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Now day 3 with tyre. Yesterday i deflated and reflated three times, and switched to grease from soapy water. No improvement. Im not going above 45psi despite temptation. The tyre is in the sun and i dont think could be much more flexible. Its about a third on both sides not seated. Anyway keep trying, being patient!

Speaking of weather, not so hot today, and cloudy. Fingers crossed for rain.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Have you tried knocking it a bit with a mallet on the side wall after inflating? That helps in some cases, otherwise get a plastic cool drink bottle and cut strips for the tyre to slide on while inflating. Afterwards you'll need to deflate the tyre and remove the strips(might be a bitch to remove) then inflate it again.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Strips of plastic, well thats another idea, i can see them getting stuck in there. However it could be worth a go...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Whacked with sledgehammer, strapped circumference, used tractor to push other side of bead (and wrecked the tyre inflator when scoop slipped off tyre). Switched to armorall, then back to soapy water, up to 60psi now. Tyre left in heat of the sun every day. Day 5 and still bead not set for about 8 inches, on both sides. Wondering if its gonna happen!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Day 7, and the duro's bead has finally popped in. It took more lubrication from tyre fitter, flexing tyre with hydraulic bead breaker and then 90 psi (we were standing in a safe spot). I had given up, and was nervous about the pressure, but took it in to see if they could help. Happy. Well I hope the tyre lasts!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Project update. Been able to do some things lately, without buying parts and spending money! But next stage will need some expenditure. For now ive got it back on its wheels, with handlebars levers etc etc cleaned up, shock cleaned up and spring added and back on bike, swingarm painted and back on, the duro is on the bike and doesnt foul anything. Repaired exhaust is on (came in a box with bike). The airbox is on! Happy with that, as remember im trying to make this more stock.

Next step is gaskets for left hand case, chain, spockets, brake cables and various pieces, and finish painting tank, headlight and front guard 20191229_173058.jpg

21 - 40 of 50 Posts