TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would share the great trail rides that my daughter and I had this past weekend. Katrina called Friday morning to say she was coming home for the holiday and to get the bikes ready.... we were going riding. So being a dad, how do you say NO to your kid!

I got both bikes out and fueled up, chain tension checked, tire pressure adjusted, and first aid kit strapped to the bike. She got off night shift and at 1 AM she headed north for the 4 hour trip home. She crashed for a few hours nap and by 11 am Saturday we were loading her TTTR125LE into her truck and off to the edge of town. We live a few blocks up from the ocean and about two minutes from the nearest logging road so you can get to some serious riding in about 15 minutes....its so great. Literally from the sea to the sky and all points in between. We off loaded her bike, one last check for gear and we were off. Headed for the top of the first hill we came too and up we went.

These are old logging roads and there is a whole web of them on the north island, most are in fair shape, but some are "reclaimed" and starting to get over grown with alders and brush but you can still ride for days and never see the same road twice.

This was our first stop and we took a break to fill up on wild Huckle berries and Blue berries (and from the evidence on the trails...so were the bears).

Now we headed up one last spur to the very top and a dead end. I will try to download the vid of one of the hills, but the clip hardly shows how steep it really is. Katrina stop just before the top and if you look at the top right you will see why!

[media]http://s1023.photobucket.com/albums/af353/chrisold/Rides%202011/?action=view&current=DSCF6294.mp4[/media]

From here we headed back to the main line in search of new ground to explore. I tried to video our decent, but with no camera mount it meant riding with one hand, but here is a clip of what I did tape. If you look at the angle of the trees compared to the road, it will give you some idea of the grade. There were a few areas that you couldn't use any brakes or it would just lock up and you would free slide down with no control, so you pick a path and landing area and just rode it out. Its always amazed me that loaded logging truck also traveled down these roads in the past.

http://s1023.photobucket.com/albums/af353/chrisold/Rides 2011/?action=view&current=DSCF6300.mp4

Once on the flat ground we headed for the lake and a change of scenery, plus our butts were sore from bouncing around on the wash outs and cross ditches.

Nice cool breeze was coming off the lake, very refreshing.

This is the best trails for riding!

Rode along the shore for a mile or so, but the rocks got bigger and the ride got rougher, so it was back we went.

Too deep to cross, so she says....more speed I say.

Heading back we thought we would swap bikes, and having never rode the TW before she started off slow... but then it was all I could do to keep up to her on the 125!

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af353/chrisold/Rides%202011/DSCF6328.jpg[/img]

Just before we hit the crossroad to the mainline, I got a FLAT! Rear tire just went down and still a few miles back to the truck. I was to sore to walk it, and didnt want to leave it there, so it was a slow ride back to her truck. We were still home in time for supper, but had to cut desert short to fix the flat for tomorrows ride. We didnt get many pictures on day two, but had another great day of riding. We covered just shy of 200 km all toll and saw many black bear, eagles, squirel, and one set of cougar prints in the mud. As they say, all good things must come to an end and she has now headed back to work. She did however leave me with a list of repairs to do before our next ride, and being a dad... how do you say NO to your kid. The reward far out weights the cost! So till next time, I wish you all a safe and happy ride, Chris.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Dear Mr. Wrench-Puller,

Thank you for sharing this wonderful little story with us.

The pictures are all very beautiful.

I hope that one day I too will be able to have a day like that with my daughter.

Enjoy....

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its in the video Biglefti....shiny black bear runs across in front of her!

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
Awesome scenery! That was cool as heck to see that bear run out in front of your daughter in the video. Not sure she thought it was that cool at the time, but she's got a pretty neat story to tell!

Riding by yourself or with friends is so fun, riding with family is great isn't it!

Thanks so much for sharing.

·
Registered
94 Posts
To be riding in the back country with the daughter and see wild critters on a nice day doesn't get much better.I recognize the shot of the islands been up fishing in that area a couple of times. Great pictures and videos.Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Beautiful country, and even better when you can enjoy it with your daughter! Pretty cool that she wanted to go riding motorcycles with you. Thanks for sharing your pictures and videos.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Looked at all the shops & videos. Thanks for sharing. Makes we want to go to UP of Michigan where we have been before. Always enjoyed riding forest roads on atv. Got the TW and have not tried that yet.

How is it manuvering around all those rocks?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Martin, you will never ride your quad again once you have tried the TW. It handles like a dream and lets you feel more of the road/trail then anything else i have had. These pics and vids are only of the more mild places we ride as I dont have a camera mount yet and need both hands for the other places. Once i figure out a mounting system I will post vids of climbing up washed out roads and dried out creek beds like we did on our second day of riding. The TW just crawled up with eaze while Kat's TTR was boucing her all over, but she made it to the top and down the other side with no problems. Only one hurt at the end of the day was me! I was breaking trail though the brush on an over grown road, using the mirrors and the Jimbo sheild to deflect the under brush up and over me. After about a mile or so it was getting thicker and I lifted my head above the Jimbo for a better look, WHAM, caught a thorn bush in the face and cut the end of my nose open as it slid through my helmet. The pain was intense and my eyes blurred in my goggles, but the TW trudged on, with or with out me, so I just hung on and it was head down till we hit the cross road. Soon as we got to a clearing I checked for damages, there was brush hanging off everywhere and Katrina was laughing at the path the TW had cut for her. It is an amazing bike and so far I have never been let down with its abilities as a trail bike. Let us know what you think of yours once you have taken her out for a good trail ride.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have been amazed at the TW riding around the neighbors farm fields. That low gear is awesome. I have wanted to ride it in the desert sand dunes of southern California, but didn't get down there last year.

I did see more tw's in sw Arizona last winter than I did al the previous 4 winters down there. Everyone I talked to really enjoyed them.

Where we live in Illinois is pretty flat.

I did ride some trails in AZ, up hill was ok, it was the down hill that I had trouble with. They were extremely steep.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Nice report! - Great pics and video! Thanks for sharing.

Next time you should set the camera timer and get a father-daughter pic up on top of one of those mountains!

Did you guys try crossing that river? It looks tempting but hard to tell depth!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts