TW200 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As per the OEM manual, front axle torque is ~65 ft lbs.

That seems really high for a front axle, even with modern bigger axles. I did some searching and hadn't seen it discussed before, is anyone running much less?

I just put new front wheel bearings in and I believe this high of torque may have squished the inner races too much so much that i feel friction on the bearing when i take the wheel off.

I should also say everything bolted up the wheel spins fine though and doesn't seem to require any extra effort.

thoughts?

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I use the factory spec, and have never had a problem. The only reason I can think of for the high torque value is to add strength or rigidity to the front end. If that's the case, I would't want to run less.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use the factory spec, and have never had a problem. The only reason I can think of for the high torque value is to add strength or rigidity to the front end. If that's the case, I would't want to run less.
i don't disagree.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for this thread, I just installed a golden boy today in my garage at 110 deg, amazing how easy the bead flowed onto the rim. I used the Armstrong method for the axle nut pending the info I knew I would find on this forum. The axle nut on the new to me 03 TW was extremely tight, I actually thought it was stripped when it wasn't loose after a couple of tries. I also had to refer to this forum when I could't find a rotation arrow on the new shinko. Guess I need to invest in a shop manual when the dust settles from all the other items I have recently purchased for this two wheeled John Deere. Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts