TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike is a 2006 TW200 with 700+ miles. Bought it a few months ago. I would like to increase the stopping power of the front brake a little. Seems weaker than my other bike (Honda 250 Rebel). Has anyone done this? Once I had disc brake problems on a Yamaha 4 wheeler Warrior and fixed it by simply changing the brake fluid. Any ideas would be appreciated....Dan

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Mostly it is what it is.

Your Rebel has bigger brakes, front and rear.

Mackbig markets a larger brake rotor, but aside from that and possibly a more rigid brake line the isn't a lot you can do with the stock hardware.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Once I had disc brake problems on a Yamaha 4 wheeler Warrior and fixed it by simply changing the brake fluid. Any ideas would be appreciated....Dan

It's possible that a bike that sat for that long would have picked up some water in the brake lines, changing out the fluid with fresh is a good idea anyway every three to five years depending on the average humidity of your region.

A 2006 should have a front disc, and it's also possible that the pads are glazed or dirty, take them out and sand lightly with 320 on a very flat surface. My 2010 will lock the front tire no problem....actually at 60 maybe it would be a problem.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
+1

One other possibility is that the P.O. put a set of one of the latest "gimmick" pads on it. Some of these are born with thinner pad material than stock and can give the same brake lever feel as worn-down pads.

·
Registered
215 Posts
It's possible that a bike that sat for that long would have picked up some water in the brake lines, changing out the fluid with fresh is a good idea anyway every three to five years depending on the average humidity of your region.

A 2006 should have a front disc, and it's also possible that the pads are glazed or dirty, take them out and sand lightly with 320 on a very flat surface. My 2010 will lock the front tire no problem....actually at 60 maybe it would be a problem.

+2

I changed my brake fluid and saw smoother action in the level and better braking over all. Its worth the couple bucks for the brake fluid and the 5 minutes change it out.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
You can also mount a steel brake line.

This will give you an better performance too.

And if you still want more brake performance, than you can change from the 220 disk to my 320 disk.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

And if you still want more brake performance, than you can change from the 220 disk to my 320 disk.

Please tell me about your disc. Diameter and do you need a different caliper? THANKS....Dan P

·
Registered
258 Posts

I second the braided hose ("Steel brake line") - it makes a suprisingly big improvement. Much 'snappier' action. Replace your fluid and seals at the same time.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Please tell me about your disc. Diameter and do you need a different caliper? THANKS....Dan P
You will find a lot of information about the "320mm brake disk kit" in this thread:

http://tw200forum.com/index.php?/topic/5926-320-brake-disk-kit-hows-interesseted-into-it

And here's my post from today with the pictures from my new/better adapter for the brake caliper:

http://tw200forum.com/index.php?/topic/5926-320-brake-disk-kit-hows-interesseted-into-it/page__st__60__gopid__65550#entry65550

1 - 12 of 12 Posts