TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided it was time to replace the front brake shoes on my '93 TW. I ordered the brake shoes, watched a how-to video on YouTube and thought, hey this looks easy enough. It was until it came time to adjust the brakes. Not getting good adjustment with either the screw mechanism near the grip nor the lower screw on the hub, I figured I'd move the brake cam lever a few degrees. I thought from the video the cam lever would come completely off of the shaft. When I didn't, I pried. That only opened the spread of the lever so the outer piece no longer was flush with the shaft.

Hammer time. I beat the lever so that it bent back and was flush again. Good enough. I figured I'd rotate the now loosened lever to a good position and replace the set screw. Now for the real trouble... The set screw went half-way in, no more. Trying to get it in further... no dice. Trying to back it out... nope... It's stuck there. Argghhh! :mad:

So, I expect I will have to get that darned lever off the shaft (It does come off, no? Is the outer part of the shaft larger so the lever can't easily come off? WTF?)

I'll likely take it to the Yamaha shop, but before I do that, anybody been down this road? Also, I'm thinking now I might have avoided this whole thing by getting a new brake cable which though it would be harder to put on, might not be stretched and thus avoid adjustment issues.

Thoughts?? - Thanks Dubbers...

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Damn Rohnsman, sounds like you haven't had the best day...... I am not the guy you need to help figure this out, but someone will surely be able to help you with this. I applaud you for your efforts, and hope you can get this fixed without going to the dealer. Seems like there are lots of members in your neck of the woods, so maybe someone close can lend you a hand. Best of luck with this.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
The brake cam lever has inner and outer splines because of the bolt and nut that secures the lever to the shaft. No need to remove the lever completely from the shaft to change the position

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
I don't know if this means anything but the shaft has a dot on it and there are 6 teeth to the dot. Both my TW's are like this.

Font Auto part Auto part Rim Wheel

And the shaft looks like it is missing a tooth between the arrows. That might have something to do with aligning the lever on the shaft????
Auto part

As I recall, if I had the lever matched up on the shaft correctly it slipped on easily. If not, it wouldn't go on at all. Well, maybe with a hammer it would......Good luck. Tony

·
Registered
930 Posts
I have been through this, a couple times. Once on my Model A Ford and once on my TW. It seems like loosening the brake lever and "advancing" it a notch or two would compensate for the "slack" and allow more adjustment at the handle or cable end.

However, when I have done so, I noticed that, when out of alignment, the cam could "over-rotate" and lock the brake shoes against the drum. I noticed this phenomenon BEFORE I rode the bike. Thank God!

Proceed with caution! I would get everything back together as it was and see if you can get the adjustment you need else where. I am surprised the new shoes didn't do it.

·
Super Moderator
6,278 Posts
Been there – done that – hit it repeatedly with a hammer until it was FUBAR –then bought a complete second hand replacement drum.

Elime would seem to be correct in that it will only fit in one position, otherwise even if you do manage to hammer it back on, you can’t get the pinch bolt to fit …..

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I feel better that I'm not the only one who has fought this problem and puzzled over what would at first look seems to be a very simply assembly. (This is why I don't do engine work! :)

Anyway, it's likely the stuck bolt will need to be cut and then the lever arm removed and possibly replaced. Thanks so much for the feedback guys and the photos Elime are invaluable! I ordered a new brake cable from Babbits (and though I thought I was getting a better deal than the Yamaha shop, gotta wonder now with the darned shipping costs).

Anyway, the feedback helps enormously. Now anyone got any tips on how to more easily install and adjust the new brake cable? I'm sure that the new one is apt to be a bit shorter (not stretched) and is likely to be a bugger to get on. Anyone got a trick for this? Thanks again!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts