TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2004 w/only 800 miles all of sudden feels bobbing when I ride even on a flat road. I am pretty sure it didn't before but I am used to riding mostly dirt so it is possible that I wasn't paying too much attention. now that I start riding more on a road, the problem seems to be very noticeable and wonder if there is anything that I can do to address the issue.

·
Registered
13,237 Posts
Check to see if the tire is seated all around both sides.
Check tread wear (cupping or abnormal wear).
Check to see if the tire needs balancing. Jack front tire until it spins free and see if it settles in same spot.
Check to see if steering head/bearings are loose/missing.
Check/service front fork (proper fork oil level, clean oil).
Check front wheel bearings.
Check for front brake hang up.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
If it has the original stock front tire, it is likely hard as a rock...+ 10 years old.

A new tire with balancing may solve your problem.

With only 800 miles, I doubt it is the steering head bearings, but it is possible.

jb

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
thanks all. The wheel seems to be straight and the tire looks fine. What's the best way to check the front shock?
I just tried to push the front handle down and was able to push it down ~5-6 inches without my effort at all. I tried the same on BMW 650GS and it only moved an inch or so if that helps.
Can I just top off the fluid or is it normal? I dont have another TW to compare at this moment.

·
Registered
13,237 Posts
TW forks in there stock form are soft. If your 2004 hasn't ever had a front fork service, you may want too, even if this isn't what's causing the bobbing issue. Here's a great link to help in the front fork service area. http://tw200forum.com/forum/technical-write-ups/5048-beginner-s-guide-fork-seal-replacement.html

You can find some other good fork/maintenance related topics in the Technical Write-Ups here: Technical Write-Ups

Only time I had similar symptoms was when the tire wasn't seated. Doesn't sound like that's your issue, but I hope you solve it soon. Unnerving to ride with a condition as yours. Good Luck.

·
Registered
174 Posts
i had/have the same issue, i did a bunch to try to fix it entirely but the best i found to help was to true the wheel and put street tires on. if you search my post history you'd find the thread.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I finally got my Vermont plates and took my TW out on the road - didn't notice anything until I hit about 45 and I find the bobbing the OP mentioned. I have 24,000 miles on my 1991 and I'm guessing maintenance was lagging before I got it. The tires are new and balanced at my local motorcycle shop. I'm going to start with fork oil since that would be the easiest thing to replace. May also look at the front drum brakes since I recall having a little trouble getting those set up when I put the wheel back on after I got new tires.

·
Registered
19,206 Posts
Don't just replace the fork oil, add enough to get some rebound dampening.
With forks vertical, disassembled and tubes compressed adding 10W or ATF to a height 125mm below top of tube seems to give pleasing results for most US riders. Much more oil than that and their is not enough volume for an "air spring" and seal blow-out can then occur on full compression. Much less oil than that and there is little dampening, mostly just spring action.

·
Super Moderator
1,904 Posts
Mine did that when the tread started to cup. Replaced the tire with a Shinko 241 and what an amazing difference.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts