TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a new Shinko 241 tire on the front a week or so ago. A few days later I ended up on the main road for a short ways, and when I got up over 50 mph, the front end started wallowing, or wandering. It would get worse the faster you go, so I had to back off. I checked the tire pressures and aired them up to around 22 psi and tried again, same result.

I know my left fork tube is slightly bent, as my bars are usually "crooked" when going straight, so I wonder if this could be responsible? I haven't found an affordable fork tube to replace it. It never did this with the old stock front tire.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
807 Posts
What size did you get? If its shorter than what you had, effectively lowering your front, that can cause some stability issues at speed.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It only comes in one size... 4.00/18.

Lots of people are running this tire and I haven't seen any of them reporting this problem...

·
Super Moderator
4,728 Posts
Try lifting the front wheel off the deck – rotate – and look closely

It may be that the tire hasn’t seated properly – or your wheel is out of whack – (or even the tire)

Odd that it only comes on at speed though – usually indicates a balance problem – but with a known bent fork, you really need to get that sorted out first ……………..

·
Super Moderator
17,641 Posts
Do you have the fork brace on the bike? (the metal piece that the stock fender is mounted on) Or have removed it mounting the high fender kit? This can cause wandering if it is not there. Also, too much air pressure means your contact patch on the road is smaller and therefore more subjected to the small imperfections in the road that we always encounter. The only other things I can think of are wheel bearings and the steering head bearing. If the tire is worn out and cupping it can cause shimmying and a wobble too, but that doesn't seem to be the problem.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I have the Shinko244 on both TW's and have noticed the same thing at high speeds. In fact if I shake the bars it will induce a slight speed wobble. A bit unnerving at first but I just got used to it as it never seemed to get to the point of loss of control and stops as soon as I roll off the throttle. I did however put a Scotts stabilizer on the 03 but the same thing still happens at speed.
I will be trying a different tire when the 244's wear out and was thinking the 241 might be the answer till I read your post.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AHA! See I'm not the only one. :)

The tire is brand new; like, maybe 20 miles on it so far. The steering and wheel bearings are also new. I'll check the wheel to see if it's wobbling, and I'll even put it on my balance stand and balance it. Maybe that's the answer.

·
Super Moderator
4,728 Posts
I'm presuming you also have a knobbly on the back ?

Ran into a similar problem earlier this year trying to run a road tire on the front and a knobbly rear ............

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had this problem with a knobby front and street back on a crf250. Could be something this simple.

·
Registered
79 Posts
After drinking the cool aid and changing my out my stock tire for a golden boy I've noticed this occasionally too. It really scared me when it happened first. Kinda still scares me. I think I may try a different tire at some point, maybe the kenda but idk. I've noticed its usually happens to me on really windy days or if I'm sitting too far forward..

·
Registered
312 Posts
hmmm I run a kenda 270 5.10 size . but when I first put it on I did not notice it was not fully seated had all kinds of weird things going on and scared the crap outta me. after I seated it, it works and rides just fine now:)

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
Lets face a few facts here where tires are concerned. First thing is that new rubber sure will feel different than old hard rubber. Next is that most of these tires we discuss, Shinko, Kenda and others are all made in China where quality control is seriously lacking. Any of these tires could be bad out of the box. We have had members who reported some pretty poor Shinko results over the years.

Other forces such as bent forks or improper fluid levels between both forks, missing the stabilizer fender bracket or out of balance could also cause the wobble. I highly prefer the liquid inside the tube balance fluid called Ride On because it continually readjusts the balance point over the life of the tire as it wears unevenly. Spoke weights or tape on weights are only good at the time you first balance the wheel and do not compensate over time. Also, tires should be matched to some degree. Running a knob in the rear and a more road type up front could cause some feeling differences.

Brand new tires need to be scuffed in before they achieve their full traction potential and even just the new and much softer rubber could impart a squishy feeling. I recommend that you first check the balance and then check the fork alignment. If the tire needs a lot of weight to get it balanced then return it to the store and get a new one.

GaryL

·
Registered
789 Posts
Hmm. No wobble with old tire wobble with new.....Put old tire on and re test. On a couple
other forums I've seen complaints on Shinko tires. I personally have had good luck with them.
Possible the old tire wore to compensate for alignment but rare. Being out of alignment is not cool. It is possible to straighten out fork tubes
that are only slightly bent, any good machine shop can do this. If you like the bike, this is a good time
to install tapered roller head bearings and service your forks. One good tank slap episode can change your lifestyle
so get it fixed.
Pretty sure Shinko tires are made in Korea, the new manufacturing superpower

·
Registered
234 Posts
My Shinko 244 has a wobble at speed. I was hopping to replace it with a 241 when it wears out, and see if that fixed the problem.

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
I would love to hear from any member who has a wobbling Shinko and switches over the balance method to 8 ounces of the Ride On liquid in the tube and removes all the external weights. The concept of liquid balancing is pretty simple and the claim is the fluid goes to where it needs to be. I have had great results since I began using it.

GaryL

·
Super Moderator
17,641 Posts
I would love to hear from any member who has a wobbling Shinko and switches over the balance method to 8 ounces of the Ride On liquid in the tube and removes all the external weights. The concept of liquid balancing is pretty simple and the claim is the fluid goes to where it needs to be. I have had great results since I began using it.

GaryL

When I had my new tires mounted by the "Stealer" here, my front tire felt like it was hopping an inch or two off the ground at speed. It was horrible, really. They said they tried their best after I complained and I was offered a redo for free, but instead, I stripped off all the weights, (like 5 or 6 oz's) added Ride-On and it's been as smooth as a babies butt since. Couldn't be more pleased.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don't have any trouble at speed with the 241, but it sure turns in much faster than stock. I've almost lost the front end a couple of times pushing it into the corners. I started at 22, went to 25, and now am up to 30psi. Same thing. Guess I'll try going the other way and see how it reacts on the pavement. Off-road it's been great at any pressure.

·
Registered
234 Posts

GaryL
MY 244 has 8 ounces of ride on and no external weights.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts