TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I’m new to the Forum and have mostly just been reading and trying to come up to speed. I used the search option but couldn’t find the information I need on this subject.
I just purchased a 1995 TW which has a broken front fender. Both sides on the fender are split up the side leaving only the top holding it together. My question is, where do I find a stock blue front fender besides lucking out and finding one the right color on EBay for a fortune? I’d like to keep it as close to original as possible and don’t want to go the high fender mount, but are there any aftermarket options that are nice that someone can recommend?
Thanks for any suggestions.

Past TW’s, 1987 and 1990.
Current Tw’s, 1995 and 2002.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Welcome!

Without going to a high fender, I think finding a stock fender is your only option. Maybe find a good price on one that isn't the right color, and paint it to match?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Welcome from NE Oregon. I don't know of any after market fenders that are low mounted like the stock one, just the high fender conversions. A dealership may be able to order you a color matched stock fender, but it would be new and your other plastics are probably faded, so it wouldn't be exact anyway. And it would probably be expensive.
My 2009 came with a black front fender and the rest of the bike is white with blue graphics. I have been thinking about a high fender conversion in white and could then sell my black stock front fender if you are interested. I don't know a price yet. Let me know if you have any interest.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the link to boats.net, LT Larry. It’s listed as not available at this time and I’m guessing it won’t be anytime soon. I’ll keep an eye on them.
Mountain Yawp, you may have a solution to the problem. I also agree with your thoughts on the new one being slightly non-matching due to the other plastic fading, and the fact that the dealerships can be very proud of their OEM parts. But it would be preferable to painting as the paint would be even harder to match and susceptible to being scratched. If you do decide to go with the high fender, drop me a PM and let me know what you’d like in exchange for it. In the mean time I’ll keep looking for a blue one. Who knows, with the power of “The Forum” I may prevail! Lol

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am looking into repairing it. I’d need to epoxy some custom splices to the inside to re-enforce it. Any suggestions what type of epoxy to use?

As for black ones..... aren’t they larger?

·
Registered
19,213 Posts
Plastic epoxy. I have used this to bed in and seal a broken fender after first stitching pieces together with fine wire laced through numerous pre-drilled holes. Repair still good after about 30 years, will take picture tomorrow if you like.
This should be the same epoxy I used in the past, purchased from Lowe's 2 days ago. Should be yellow-is with very odd smell. Nice and elastic unlike most every other epoxy. Discovered during my R/C racing days. Rough up bonding surface first. I like to take a razor blade and make numerous cross cut micro-keyways for the epoxy to get a mechanical bight. Mix 2 parts well, then mix some more.:p loctite.jpg

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Fred! I’ll pick some up and try it. I’d love to see a pic if you have time.

My next issue is trying to find the part number for the two grommets on each side of the front of the rear fender where it attaches to the frame. All the parts sites show the fender and all of the parts except those two grommets. Maybe I’m missing something.

·
Registered
19,213 Posts
Terrible picture but here is a thirty year old messy repair to a rear fender. Discolored oxidized epoxy hides braided wire lacing going a cross fracture. Not pretty, I have used same technique done somewhat neater, but you get the idea of what a lasting cheap repair can be. I did same repair to my first TW fender much better but threw fender away when I went to a high supermoto fender. However the repaired TW fender worked just fine.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You’re correct Fred, it’s not pretty. However, it seems to do the job. The wire lacing no doubt takes credit for the longevity. I’ll give it a try. Seems to me the only down side is it doesn’t hold and I need a new fender. Oh! Wait a minute, it’s already broke! Lol.

I’m still searching for the part number of the two grommets that secure the fronts of the rear fender by the side panels. Every parts supplier website I check shows the rear fender and all the other hardware, but not the grommets. I’m wondering if they are the same as the headlight shroud. Maybe I’ll start checking other model years besides 1995.

·
Registered
19,213 Posts
I had gooped that epoxy on in a hurry since I was going riding within the hour. Plastic epoxy cures quickly.
Have since learned a moistened finger or spoon can smooth out and feather in glues so I'm sure you can do a much neater job.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here’s my completed fender fix. It was split up both sides about equally. I followed Fred’s suggestion and drilled some small holes on each side of the fracture and laced it up snug using .020 stainless safety wire. Since the crack closed fairly tight, I filled it with super glue gel hopeing to keep it less noticeable. The fix seems to be very secure. We’ll see if it holds.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Nice work on the repair. Given the location, even if you have to goop epoxy on the crack, it probably won't be seen. Looks like you probably don't need a new fender after all. Congrats

1 - 15 of 15 Posts