TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi- i have a couple of front fork gaiters that need replacing. any recommendations (specifically what make model...i am looking for black)? i see a large price range on ebay. any big difference? thanks.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Be carefull of neoprene gaitors. They need to be cleaned after every dirty ride. Years ago in the mountainbike industry, these were the hot new item. Every bike I worked on with these things on the forks, had severe stanction tube wear, due to the tight neoprene, firmly pressing in dirt against the tubes as they moved. Mostly due to the fact that the manufacturers never mentioned to clean them every dirty ride, so people put them on and forget it.

So in my experiance...Nah.

·
Registered
19,819 Posts
+1 on avoiding the neoprene gaiters for the stated reasons.
In my experience the Daystar boots for the 33MM TW forks last years longer than the significantly more expensive Yamaha OEM boots. Plus the Daystars often come with free shipping unlike those from Yamaha part houses.
The fit is not as good as the OEM boots, but good enough.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Be carefull of neoprene gaitors. They need to be cleaned after every dirty ride. Years ago in the mountainbike industry, these were the hot new item. Every bike I worked on with these things on the forks, had severe stanction tube wear, due to the tight neoprene, firmly pressing in dirt against the tubes as they moved. Mostly due to the fact that the manufacturers never mentioned to clean them every dirty ride, so people put them on and forget it.

You are right about cleaning them after a dirty ride, but I doubt they will wear the fork tube out.
I have neoprene gaiters with zipper at my VStrom,that has fork tubes from butter compared to most bikes(easy to rust and scar), and neither me nor any VStrom rider I have met has any type of wear at the fork tubes,not even from the zipper.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

thank you for your info!

·
Registered
759 Posts
+1 on avoiding the neoprene gaiters for the stated reasons.
In my experience the Daystar boots for the 33MM TW forks last years longer than the significantly more expensive Yamaha OEM boots. Plus the Daystars often come with free shipping unlike those from Yamaha part houses.
The fit is not as good as the OEM boots, but good enough.
Exactly this. Go with the Daystar. M2c

1 - 11 of 11 Posts