TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 2005 TW and I don't think the forks have ever been touched. It just passed 4000 miles, so it was not ridden a lot before I got it. I recently took it out to the desert and it bounced me around pretty bad. So I am looking to learn about shock mods (rear already has a heavier spring and it does not seem to bottom). Heavier springs, oil, after market mods. I am around 190 lbs and probably 20 lbs of gear.

· Registered
2004 TW200, Jets 'n Shims, DGV2, Acerbis Guards, ProTaper KX, JNS LED BLK
890 Posts
A quick search for "fork upgrade" gets you ample good info to explore your options:

Most folks seem to like some variation of Progressive brand fork springs, with replacement and proper level adjustment of the fork oil, seals if needed - adjustable preload fork caps are available & inexpensive. That combo is a value solution that improves things out front well enough for all but the heaviest riders.

Some choose to go all-in with cartridge emulators, which bumps up the price, but those who have them, seem to rave.

Hope this helps!

· Premium Member
4,813 Posts
A quick search for "fork upgrade" gets you ample good info to explore your options:

Most folks seem to like some variation of Progressive brand fork springs, with replacement and proper level adjustment of the fork oil, seals if needed - adjustable preload fork caps are available & inexpensive. That combo is a value solution that improves things out front well enough for all but the heaviest riders.

Some choose to go all-in with cartridge emulators, which bumps up the price, but those who have them, seem to rave.

Hope this helps!
Well said. 22 year old OEM fork oil is just plain NASTY!!
You'll have fun flushing it out clean.
Then fill with ATF fluid to 5mm above spec level and do a search on Progressive 11-1114 springs on Amazon and TW200 adjustable fork caps on eBay. That will get you something at least ridable. From there, sky's the limit.
Cheers!

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Thanks guys! Yes did a search on the site and got lots of info, little too much. I will try the suggestion in this post to start out. Sky's the limit is right! I really doubt that I'm going to be riding my TW in the next Super Cross, so I will give this a try and start learning from there.

· Registered
1,242 Posts
Here is a link to how I approached disassembling the forks. Very easy to do. A heat gun is the trick to softening the old dry fork seals.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts