TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Front Rack Height

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  PalmStateCrawler 
#1 ·
I am going to build my own front rack and need to know the distance between the fender and rack..

I wonder if someone with a front rack installed would be kind enough to let me know what the distance is? It would save me the trial and error of figuring it out myself.

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
The cycleracks front rack hits the fender when you bottom out. I told them that and they said they will look into it. So if I were you I would try using some cardboard and coat hangers to do a mock-up and find what works for you. I personally would like to make one that goes over the head light so you could actually pack stuff on it.

#3 ·
+1

Definitely think the positioning of most front racks I've seen is ridiculous. Can't use the headlight with stuff on the rack.

With the over-light option and side braces for small panniers it would be fully functional, not just cosmetic.

I'd like to use it for tying down an extra layer of clothes, like rolled up sweater, chaps, and rain jacket.

#4 ·
over the light would be alot better. Thats why I have never considering getting one because packing anything would block the headlight. over the light and you could put something light/small on it.

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies.Actually I was planning on making two racks,one above and one below the light, and mocked up two last night out of aluminium tig wire.I am planning on returning to Labrador this summer,this time on the TW,and figured I could use all the storage spaces available.I was planning on using panniers on the lower rack and packing some light gear on the front.

How high do you figure I need to mount the lower one in order to prevent the fender from hitting it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.